Thanksgramps' 12 Year Hair Loss Story

ThanksGramps

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair transplants are certainly an option, but they're too invasive for my taste. I'd prefer to hold off for one of those promising new treatments that don't require as much scarring. Though I doubt they'll be available in the next few years, we might at least know how effective they're going to be.

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you or do you still have scalp inflammation? Nizoral shampoo is an easy addition. Also, do you use generic dutasteride? Howd you get a Doctor to prescribe it to u?

ThanksGramps

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have a full beard or did you have at 22? What can you say about finasteride's effect on beard and body hair growth? Have you noticed any difference?

Even before using finasteride, I wasn't able to grow a full beard. Neither drug has made any difference in that department.

Did you or do you still have scalp inflammation? Nizoral shampoo is an easy addition. Also, do you use generic dutasteride? Howd you get a Doctor to prescribe it to u?

I don't experience scalp inflammation. I use Nizoral 2% shampoo once in a while, but I don't think it does much, if anything to combat my male pattern baldness.

When I started with dutasteride, I used a generic version (manufactured by Apotex) and that seemed to work just fine. I recently tried switching to brand name Avodart to see if there was a difference. It's been two months now, and I haven't noticed any difference aside from the price.

hwezdarik

Established Member
Reaction score
Brilliant, what a story this is :).... and your hair still looks very good.... I don't think you are to lose you vertex, maybe maybe a bit in the frontal region, which can be easily fixed for a couple of G's in Turkey :) I would not wait for the next waive of treatments, do the surgery and then wait for new treatments :)

Been on finasteride for about 9 months + of course minoxidil and RU and had a hair transplant in September 2016 and things start looking really great.. will do another hair transplant (dense packing this Sept and I hope that I am done for a long long time).

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How'd you get a Doctor to prescribe you dutasteride? It's quite difficult

ThanksGramps

My Regimen
Reaction score
Brilliant, what a story this is :).... and your hair still looks very good.... I don't think you are to lose you vertex, maybe maybe a bit in the frontal region, which can be easily fixed for a couple of G's in Turkey :) I would not wait for the next waive of treatments, do the surgery and then wait for new treatments :)

Been on finasteride for about 9 months + of course minoxidil and RU and had a hair transplant in September 2016 and things start looking really great.. will do another hair transplant (dense packing this Sept and I hope that I am done for a long long time).

Heheh, thanks for saying that man! :) I might consider a hair transplant in the future, but for now I don't think I need one. Before going down that route, I'd roll the dice with minoxidil first. Sure, it's a hassle, but it's less invasive.

I'm glad to hear you're happy with how your hair's looking!

How'd you get a Doctor to prescribe you dutasteride? It's quite difficult

Initially, I tried to get a dutasteride prescription from a dermatologist, but he refused to give it to me. Later, I managed to get one from a hair transplant surgeon who had prescribed dutasteride plenty before.

SaveTheMane

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
May I ask what is the worse Norwood level in your family? It is very unusual to continue losing hair after hopped on Dutasteride in your age, as dutasteride nukes at least 80% of the dht in your body.