Thanksgramps' 12 Year Hair Loss Story

ThanksGramps

My Regimen
Reaction score
Veteran lurker, first-time poster here.

I first noticed my hairline receding at 22. After spending several months researching hair loss and treatment options on forums like this one, I got a prescription for finasteride (proscar cut into quarters) in Dec. 2004.

I took legit Merck proscar for almost 10 years, and in all that time I'd say I kept my hair pretty much intact. Though it didn't completely stop my hairline from receding further, the process was slow slow slow. In those 10 years, I went from a NW1.5 to a NW2.5 perhaps, which is nothing to complain about. I noticed absolutely no side effects from the drug, and it allowed me to forget about hair loss for a number of years.

However, in 2012/2013 I noticed increased shedding in the shower and my hairline was starting to get worse despite being on finasteride. Once again, after researching for months, getting all kinds of blood tests, and reading clinical trials, I decided to start on dutasteride. I popped my first dutasteride pill in Oct. 2014.

Luckily, dutasteride helped me out a lot. Though it didn't recover any barren territory, it drastically improved the overall thickness and appearance of my hairline and frontal region. After 3 months on dutasteride I noticed a slowing to the shedding. After 6 months, it was clear that my hair was improving. After one year, I believe it reversed a good two years of prior frontal thinning. Amazing! Thanks dutasteride!

I've never noticed any sides from dutasteride either. The bad news is that over the last few months, I've noticed the receding start to creep back in. I'm still ahead of where I was before dutasteride, and the jury's out on whether it's a synchronized shed or whether my hair follicles have become more sensitive to androgens. Either way, I'm still a Norwood 2.5 at 34; gotta call that a success!

I feel really lucky that DHT inhibitors were available when I needed them. I never used minoxidil; the daily or twice daily applications are such a turn-off. Popping a pill once a day is much easier.

To all the young guys who are just starting out: just take finasteride. There's a good chance it'll stop your hair loss in its tracks for years and you don't have to mess around with greasy topicals.

Attachments

• Frontal hair 2017-02-12.jpg
    Frontal hair 2017-02-12.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,850
Last edited:

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any chance you can post pics? Hair situation now, before, idc I just want to see what long term finasteride use got you and can get me. The fact that you say you lost a norwood level is still kind of concerning, but better than going completely bald I guess.

ThanksGramps

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just edited my original post with a pic of my frontal hair as it stands today. The frontal area is where all my loss is so far; my vertex is still holding strong.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
damn bro you are so lucky ! i have been on propecia for 2 years ( i am 23 yo) and it doesnt stop my receding hairline . You are sure you've got no sides on duta ? you take it daily ? No puffy nipples or gyno ?

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow. Congrats, man! Looks awesome especially for being in your 30s. I think you're probably around NW1.5-2 give or take with solid density. Can you find a photo from when you just started at 22? Maybe you didn't progress as much as you thought.

Thank you for sharing your story.

ThanksGramps

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I agree that my situation is pretty good, relatively. I'd be perfectly happy keeping the hair I have, but I don't think that's gonna happen without further intervention.

The fear of losing my hair took hold of me pretty early. At 22, I was scared shitless about losing my youth (or perception thereof) so early. I suppose that fear hasn't completely gone away, though it has decreased with age. I'm also starting to go grey, but I don't give a rip about that...

damn bro you are so lucky ! i have been on propecia for 2 years ( i am 23 yo) and it doesnt stop my receding hairline . You are sure you've got no sides on duta ? you take it daily ? No puffy nipples or gyno ?

No sides at all. I feel the same as I ever have; no puffy nipples, no depression, no "brain fog". I take 0.5mg daily purchased from the pharmacy.

glad it worked for u
u said u did blood tests what were u dht levels test estro levels?

I got my DHT levels tested twice:

In August 2014, after almost 10 years on finasteride:
Result was 92.2 pg/mL (reference range 106.0 - 719.0)

in January 2017, after about 2 years on dutasteride:
Result was 40.2 pg/mL (reference range 106.0 - 719.0)

I don't know my testosterone or estrogen levels. Haven't noticed any sides tho!

Wow. Congrats, man! Looks awesome especially for being in your 30s. I think you're probably around NW1.5-2 give or take with solid density. Can you find a photo from when you just started at 22? Maybe you didn't progress as much as you thought.

Appreciate you saying that! Definitely not 1.5-2 tho ;P. Unfortunately I don't have any close-up photos of my hair from back then, but I have lost some frontal density for sure. I have naturally thick hair, so I think that helped hide the receding, but I fear the jig will be up soon; the generalized frontal thinning appears to be slowly continuing. :(

Congrats dude.
Have you considered going from 0.5mg a day dutasteride to 1 or 1.5 a day to battle the recent creep?

No, I don't feel comfortable with that. All the studies on dutasteride have been done with 0.5mg/day, so that's what I feel safest with. I doubt I'd be able to talk a doctor into giving me a prescription for more either :p. If I decide to add something else to my regimen, it'd be minoxidil once/day. I'm struggling to decide if it's worth the hassle.

ahmed wolf

Experienced Member
Reaction score

thanx for the reply ur levels sure shows duta is stronger
good u didnt get any sides
if u dont mind me asking do u got any basline levels?

Last edited:

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you're saying that Finasteride basically just slowed the the overall process? Or did you have any periods where your hairline "maintained?"

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score

not to be a downer or anything but your ranges are low. this cant be good right?

maybe you are getting sides, you just dont notice them?

f*** it tho man, if you feel and look fine then good for u i guess

ahmed wolf

Experienced Member
Reaction score
not to be a downer or anything but your ranges are low. this cant be good right?

that's y this drug is wierd his numbers are low but he didn't get sides
me my numbers were higher then range the drop to .65 after 3 pills yet I fealt sides then they are back up higher then range 1.2 still don't feel like myself?
I think i am mentally ill looool

ThanksGramps

My Regimen
Reaction score
thanx for the reply ur levels sure shows duta is stronger
good u didnt get any sides
if u dont mind me asking do u got any basline levels?

Sorry, no baseline levels. I haven't been drug free in over 12 years now. :p Back then, I didn't know much about reference ranges or blood tests. I was mainly just hoping to have sex with someone besides myself.

So you're saying that Finasteride basically just slowed the the overall process? Or did you have any periods where your hairline "maintained?"

Yes, I'd say from about 2007 - 2012, my hairline maintained with finasteride alone. During that time I didn't notice any decline, and put hair loss in the back of my mind. I assumed that finasteride would continue to hold the line indefinitely, as it does for lots of guys.

Those reference ranges are for healthy men who aren't taking 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. My results show that finasteride and dutasteride have done exactly what they're supposed to: reduce my serum DHT.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your username had me dying btw @ThanksGramps lmao

So, since you don't have any good pics from baseline, what would you say the problem is? Just some thinning in the hairline region or did your hairline move back in the temples? Looking at the picture you shared, was your hairline straight 10 years ago when you started finasteride opposed to the slight curve nowadays?

Still a good head of hair my friend.

ThanksGramps

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha I took the username because my grandpa (maternal) is the only family member that experienced hair loss relatively young. I think my pattern of loss is just like his, but delayed thanks to 5ar inhibitors.

My hairline was definitely not straight when I started finasteride. It was M-shaped when I started, whereas now it's starting to become U-shaped. (temples starting to retreat towards the center of my scalp). That's kinda hard to see in the pic I posted, but it's there.

The main difference is the thickness of the hair in my frontal mid-scalp. Notice how you can see through the hair near my hairline when it's brushed back? That used to not be possible.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Still looks pretty thick in the picture and it's not likely that you will get much worse if you keep taking an antiandrogen so why not go for a hair transplant? If I was in your situation, I would rather do that than use a topical treatment. Only other option would be waiting for Replicel, Histogen, or something else.