Tfw You've Been Hesitant Of Trying Finasteride For An Entire Year And...

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on .5mg of brand Propecia daily for like a month and half or so. I am also using Rogaine foam. I can tell after starting the Propecia that the hair line is sprouting new hair. Obviously it is still in the early stages but I did not get a shed or anything. From Minoxidil I had a terrible shed and it causes higher amounts of shedding for me but Propecia did not do anything.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on .5mg of brand Propecia daily for like a month and half or so. I am also using Rogaine foam. I can tell after starting the Propecia that the hair line is sprouting new hair. Obviously it is still in the early stages but I did not get a shed or anything. From Minoxidil I had a terrible shed and it causes higher amounts of shedding for me but Propecia did not do anything.
How long have you been using minoxidil?

Thins

My Regimen
Reaction score
is it better in your opinion to start off low then move up to 1mg a day? for the body to get used to it or will the side effects be the same no matter what dosage you start on?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
is it better in your opinion to start off low then move up to 1mg a day? for the body to get used to it or will the side effects be the same no matter what dosage you start on?
0.5mg and 1mg block almost the exact same amount of DHT. 0.25mg blocks about 20% less than the other dosages. If you think you can cut up the pills in quarters fairly accurately you could try that and see how your body reacts.

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

I think starting at 0.25 ed is the way to go. Limits hormone fluctuations avoiding telogen and would theoretically limit reflex hyperandrogenism (if this exists). Also less likely ed

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You still thinking of starting up again? I’ve been strongly considering it but admit I’m still nervous...

Thins

My Regimen
Reaction score
You still thinking of starting up again? I’ve been strongly considering it but admit I’m still nervous...
thinking of starting it again either in september or october, after I have my follow-up appointment with the dermatologist for reassessment. To be honest the only side effect I'm worried about is the cystic acne...I'm the same as you I'm still a bit nervous in starting again, haven't fully gotten my confidence to the level where I can just take it once a day and forget about it :/

How is your hair doing sliceofbread?

Thins

My Regimen
Reaction score
0.5mg and 1mg block almost the exact same amount of DHT. 0.25mg blocks about 20% less than the other dosages. If you think you can cut up the pills in quarters fairly accurately you could try that and see how your body reacts.
When I first started the doctor told me to cut the proscar pill into 5ths, that was hard af lol I had one hugeass chunk and 4 small pieces, took the 4 small pieces, got bad acne then threw away the huge 5th piece...not sure if I can cut the proscar pill into even smaller pieces when/if I decide to start again..

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I first started the doctor told me to cut the proscar pill into 5ths, that was hard af lol I had one hugeass chunk and 4 small pieces, took the 4 small pieces, got bad acne then threw away the huge 5th piece...not sure if I can cut the proscar pill into even smaller pieces when I decide to start again..
Cutting proscar into 0.25mg doses is impossible haha

Sliceofbread

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
thinking of starting it again either in september or october, after I have my follow-up appointment with the dermatologist for reassessment. To be honest the only side effect I'm worried about is the cystic acne...I'm the same as you I'm still a bit nervous in starting again, haven't fully gotten my confidence to the level where I can just take it once a day and forget about it :/

How is your hair doing sliceofbread?

I don’t think any visible change but been shedding/itching like a beast since stopping propecia...

With seti itching is down and my hair seems to feel healthier after only one day... I’d ride it out but now I’m getting kind of nervous about unknown sides. So many people get great results from propecia I can’t help but feel like I’d be ok if I just rode out the first month

alekgn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
how did your friend deal with the diffuse thinning? Is he on medications or did he just let nature take its course. Based on your profile picture you also seem to have a lot of hair haha wondering why you're on these forums as well!

He just let nature take its course and buzzes it every so often. I can respect that. He's always had bad hair though. The reason I got on these forums was that I realized one day how bizarre my hairline looked one day and believed I was going bald. Turned out all I had was some temple recession and my hairline had probably just moved up a bit. No mid scalp or crown thinning, thankfully (for now). A year later, and my hairline still looks the same. If anything, it may have slightly improved (can't completely confirm that; I'm only talking 1/8-1/16 inch maybe).

I'm still on this forum because I like to help guys in their teens and early twenties with NW1.5s(what I have)-NW2s who may or may not have legitimate concern over their hair. Essentially the same kind of stress I have. This community is also generally pretty nice and probably the most helpful; a lot of others are depressing, toxic, or just plain awful. Also, in case my hair decides to take a turn for the worse, plenty of advice from experienced users in treatments here.

From my profile pic (that is what I really look like) I look like I have a lot of hair (still do) and don't even look like I have any hair loss because my hair is long and covering a tiny temple point where I have had some minor recession.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Anyone's hair, even women's and men who have zero balding, look like sh*t under harsh lighting. The reason why is because when you look at someone's hair under normal lighting, the hair creates shadows which "hide" the parts of the scalp that are not dotted in hair follicles (not slick bald spots). Obviously, not every single square inch of scalp is 100% hair. The illusion of fullness comes from lighting.

Do you have thinning on your crown or the top (mid-section ) of your scalp?

If your hair looks bad under certain lighting than it always looked that bad under that same lighting. If it looks bad in different kinds of lighting, and under normal circumstances than your looking for excuses its male pattern baldness.
If you see any bald spot that was not there before its male pattern baldness. male pattern baldness is actually very easy to spot if you just take consistent pictures same hair length and lighting.

Wilfido melendez

My Regimen
Reaction score
He just let nature take its course and buzzes it every so often. I can respect that. He's always had bad hair though. The reason I got on these forums was that I realized one day how bizarre my hairline looked one day and believed I was going bald. Turned out all I had was some temple recession and my hairline had probably just moved up a bit. No mid scalp or crown thinning, thankfully (for now). A year later, and my hairline still looks the same. If anything, it may have slightly improved (can't completely confirm that; I'm only talking 1/8-1/16 inch maybe).

I'm still on this forum because I like to help guys in their teens and early twenties with NW1.5s(what I have)-NW2s who may or may not have legitimate concern over their hair. Essentially the same kind of stress I have. This community is also generally pretty nice and probably the most helpful; a lot of others are depressing, toxic, or just plain awful. Also, in case my hair decides to take a turn for the worse, plenty of advice from experienced users in treatments here.

From my profile pic (that is what I really look like) I look like I have a lot of hair (still do) and don't even look like I have any hair loss because my hair is long and covering a tiny temple point where I have had some minor recession.

Hey what would you say for a 30year old to start with finasteride? I already got the pills but I’m just afraid to start lol

alekgn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey what would you say for a 30year old to start with finasteride? I already got the pills but I’m just afraid to start lol

Do you have confirmed male pattern baldness? In terms of age, you should be fine. finasteride's mostly just really toxic for men in their late teens and early twenties. Still, do you have pics of your hair just so I can confirm?

Wilfido melendez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have confirmed male pattern baldness? In terms of age, you should be fine. finasteride's mostly just really toxic for men in their late teens and early twenties. Still, do you have pics of your hair just so I can confirm?

Yes bro I got pictures of my hair been doing prp and using natural oils and it seem to be helping just a little bit not much to stop having my hair shed every day
I was using minoxidil for about 3years but then stopped like 5 months ago and that’s when I saw most of my shedding but after using natural oils and prp treatments my shedding reduced a little
But I’m still loosing a lot and my dermatologist recommended my finasteride so starting Monday I’ll star since right now I’m taking vacations in California. Be back home Monday.
I’ll give post pictures of my hair after and before prp oils and dermastamp.

The first two are after pictures and the last 3 are before pictures

Attachments

• EC939114-69B7-4B0B-91AF-2631A35DC8BA.jpeg
    EC939114-69B7-4B0B-91AF-2631A35DC8BA.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 145
  • B71BC9B6-C829-438E-A535-C73A74F724C8.jpeg
    B71BC9B6-C829-438E-A535-C73A74F724C8.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 133DBC10-B2D1-44B2-8A81-AEB5EF59856E.jpeg
    133DBC10-B2D1-44B2-8A81-AEB5EF59856E.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 177
  • B327AA19-B83C-49B6-9B74-C7D2C80F030B.jpeg
    B327AA19-B83C-49B6-9B74-C7D2C80F030B.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 175
  • C6B5AA52-469B-418C-9BCD-25CE447B8179.jpeg
    C6B5AA52-469B-418C-9BCD-25CE447B8179.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 179

alekgn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes bro I got pictures of my hair been doing prp and using natural oils and it seem to be helping just a little bit not much to stop having my hair shed every day
I was using minoxidil for about 3years but then stopped like 5 months ago and that’s when I saw most of my shedding but after using natural oils and prp treatments my shedding reduced a little
But I’m still loosing a lot and my dermatologist recommended my finasteride so starting Monday I’ll star since right now I’m taking vacations in California. Be back home Monday.
I’ll give post pictures of my hair after and before prp oils and dermastamp.

The first two are after pictures and the last 3 are before pictures

Yeah, you're definintely thinning in the crown/mid scalp area. I think you're ok to use finasteride, since you're 30. Just be aware of its sides. finasteride is generally effective for the crown and mid-scalp areas.

Wilfido melendez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, you're definintely thinning in the crown/mid scalp area. I think you're ok to use finasteride, since you're 30. Just be aware of its sides. finasteride is generally effective for the crown and mid-scalp areas.

Yes and that’s what I’m worried about lol my dermatologist toll me to try it for 3months so hopefully it works well in me.
Do you know anything about if it helps regrow some of the lost hair??

alekgn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes and that’s what I’m worried about lol my dermatologist toll me to try it for 3months so hopefully it works well in me.
Do you know anything about if it helps regrow some of the lost hair??

Min is strictly better for regrowth, but finasteride can usually regrow some hair. To my knowledge, finasteride can help restore scalp and crown hair decently well, but don't expect to a grow a new hairline, lol.

Wilfido melendez

My Regimen
Reaction score
Min is strictly better for regrowth, but finasteride can usually regrow some hair. To my knowledge, finasteride can help restore scalp and crown hair decently well, but don't expect to a grow a new hairline, lol.

Lol yea obviously I know I won’t be growing everything. But thanks anyways for your advice.
Will see how it goes