Terrible shed caused by finasterid? And a recovery from it!

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
RP said:
Well, not much to report. I think that i might have shed a bit, but can`t be 100% sure about it. Still no success in growing more thickness to the right side of my hairline, but the vellus hairs on my temples have grown significantly during the 1,5 months that I have been using also Folligen.

9 MONTHS
my.php
[/url][/img]

Have you by any chance considered Revivogen instead of finasteride? I haven`t read many shedding related posts from people using it.

Your hairline didn't improve since your first picture, but I swear your hair got TONS thicker, and looks really good. I bet most girls will love your hair. Keep on your propecia! Thick hair looks great.

RP

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hairline didn't improve since your first picture

Yep, no improvement since the baseline. But I could swear that Folligen is doing something to my temples. If it isn`t thickening the vellus hairs, at least it`s growing them.

but I swear your hair got TONS thicker

My barber said the same thing. And she also added that my hair seems much more healthier than before. And I have not told her that I use any of the stuff that I have on my regimen.

I bet most girls will love your hair.

Yeah, especially since my "target group" are women aged 25-30, I would say that for them I have an at least adequate looking hair.

Keep on your propecia!

Not planning to stop. Only reason to stop taking it (and maybe switch to Revivogen) is if I ever decide to have kids. I wouldn`t want to take any risks, even though they are nearly non-existent, but just to be 100% sure.

RP

Established Member
Reaction score
Milestone!

Today I reached a some sort of a milestone in my hair treatment! A female colleague at my work, whom I see face-2-face only once in every three months or so said:

"Have you done something to your hair?"
"No, why do you ask?" ( :D )
"No reason, I just mean it looks so good."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the first time in years that I have had a sincere and spontaneus positive comment about my hair.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great stuff mate, very pleased for you!!! haha so all the pain was worth it after all!!!

:lol:

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I've only read the first page and last page so I'm a bit confused.

At the start you said Finasteride was horrible, then you said it was great.

How long after you started was it horrible (shed), and how long after that did it get great?

Please PM me as I might not remember this thread by the time you respond.

RP

Established Member
Reaction score
At the start you said Finasteride was horrible, then you said it was great.

At the start I got such an agressive shed that I was forced to shave my head and I was very depressed about it for a couple of months.

After month six the hair started to thicken noticebly and has been improving so far. Even though I did shed some during january and early february, the overall situation seems to be still improving despite the occasional shedding.

Here is the picture update:

10 MONTHS ON THE BIG3:

And just for a comparison. A picture taken 11 months ago, in March 06 :

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Btw. If possible, could the moderators move this thread to "My Story" -Section under the name "RP`s story"?

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
Could you give me the exact timeline of these events?

When did you start finasteride, when did you get that massive shed, and when did you recover from that massive shed?

Also, did you introduce minoxidil in the middle of that period? Or were you using minoxidil from the start?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
RP said:
JDW said:
I'll be back to answer the q. in three months when I'll either be:
a)BALD
b)SOMEWHERE NEAR BASELINE

mine has gone on for nearly 3 months now with no let up.

The rate my hair loss hadbeen progressing it would've taken me a couple of years to get anywhere near the state my hair is currently in.

So you are now on month 3?

Here are my experiences month by month:

May: stabile
June: some shedding
July: major shedding
august: some shedding
september: stabile
october: some regrowth
november: major regrowth
december some regrowth

Now I`m pretty much back to were I started in May. And since my goals have been from the beginning not too ambitious (just want to maintain what I have), I´m so far quite pleased.

But do notice, that the worst months were months 4-5. So let`s hope it works the same way with you JDW. :thumbs_up:

there you go mate.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
I, myself, hope this isn't true, but aren't the months you added minoxidil the months you got regrowth? The months you were shedding were the months you stopped minoxidil. So wouldn't the shed be due to lack of minoxidil rather than finasteride?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yeah that's what I alluded to in an earlier post... really hope not though as I'm banking on getting some regrowth of that which I shed...

Nothing so far, not even the smallest hint of new hairs.

RP

Established Member
Reaction score
aren't the months you added minoxidil the months you got regrowth? The months you were shedding were the months you stopped minoxidil. So wouldn't the shed be due to lack of minoxidil rather than finasteride?

That is very well possible. Even though in my opinion my hair is now much better than what it was when I was only on minoxidil. So combining those two treatments plus adding ketoconazol is the key. Tricomin or Folligen might just give also an extra bonus boost.

JDW:
Just hang in there. And lets hope that Rogaine Foam works for you. I`m still waiting it to become available in here, but when it comes, I`ll switch to it asap.