Terminal hair growth on non-prior haired areas / Diclofenac 3%

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, I read again the 3 user threads about voltaren in the german forum (1000s of posts) and a good amount of people had success with diclo, especially when they used it together with minoxidil. So my posts in this thread weren't right. :)

Thanks for clarifying. Maybe some more people will have a little success with it.

hwezdarik

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, I read again the 3 user threads about voltaren in the german forum (1000s of posts) and a good amount of people had success with diclo, especially when they used it together with minoxidil. So my posts in this thread weren't right. :)

Could you please be a tad specific how the Germans use it with minoxidil ? :)

Diclo powder can be bought from them Chinese sellers on Alibaba.

Cheerios

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
How long until results were noticed for improvement / less hair shedding ? Few months? FCKW36

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In Germany we have "Voltaren Spray". This is a Lotion with 4% Diclofenac. You will have something like this in your countrys too. You can mix it with minoxidil. I would use it 2 times a day at the beginning. You will see results like with every other treatments between 4 to 12 months. But from what I read in our forum, Diclofenac works as fast as minoxidil. And you can have a shedding but hair will come back. And maybe its a good idea to go 3 weeks on / 1 week off, bit I'm not sure.

Good luck. :)

Attachments

• 1469034503146760485568.jpg
    1469034503146760485568.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 419

Ikkaku

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello guys !
Do you think it can give back hair on temples?
Maybe with retin A and dermaroller + Lcl?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@spring15

Thanks for the update.

Where did you get the gel?

Is it OTC, what is the concentration?

How does it look on your hair? meaning is it super greasy?

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @inmyhead

BTW I found a thread from 2013 of someone on HLH who tried Voltaren and reported very good results in conjunction with minoxidil. He ultimately stopped at month 5 saying he wasnt convinced it was making the cosmetic difference vis-a-vis just the minoxidil alone.

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/...=105099&STARTPAGE=3&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

What strikes me about his experience is he didnt go the 6 months like this 70 year old and never really let the hair grow out, keeping it shaved, which makes it hard to evaluate the results imo. Unfortunately all the links to the pics are dead now. Afterwards the thread just died, even though there were a couple reporting less shedding.

I'd love to see if someone here can go the distance with this and report back.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
I get it from the chemist, $30 for 120G, lasts about 2 weeks.

"Diclofenac diethylammonium gel 11.6 mg/g"

Apply the minoxidil first as that dries very quickly, the gel is a lot thicker so takes a while to dry and is messy compared with minoxidil however it feels quite nice on the scalp, I'm only Norwood 1.5-2 so I just apply to hairline, twice a day.

Last edited:

hwezdarik

Established Member
Reaction score
I get it from the chemist, $30 for 120G, lasts about 2 weeks.

"Diclofenac diethylammonium gel 11.6 mg/g"

Apply the minoxidil first as that dries very quickly, the gel is a lot thicker so takes a while to dry and is messy compared with minoxidil however it feels quite nice on the scalp, I'm only Norwood 1.5-2 so I just apply to hairline, twice a day.

Sounds good and it is only a 1.16% diclo cream :).. I am gonna try to use a 4% solution as it is easier to apply. :)

worm

My Regimen
Reaction score
@spring15

Thanks. Im heading to the UK in October, I might order some to my friends house before i arrive. I cant seem to find any here in Canada, and I looked on Amazon USA, and couldnt find any there.

One thing that concerns me, is that I read a statement by health canada saying that diclofenac could be as dangerous as vioxx, which is a cox 2 inhibitor. I see that vioxx killed some 40,000 americans and cause between 90-140,000 instances of heart disease. That is crazy, I understand that cox 1 and 2 inhibitors allegedly balance eachother out, but it still concerns me.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
@spring15

Thanks. Im heading to the UK in October, I might order some to my friends house before i arrive. I cant seem to find any here in Canada, and I looked on Amazon USA, and couldnt find any there.

One thing that concerns me, is that I read a statement by health canada saying that diclofenac could be as dangerous as vioxx, which is a cox 2 inhibitor. I see that vioxx killed some 40,000 americans and cause between 90-140,000 instances of heart disease. That is crazy, I understand that cox 1 and 2 inhibitors allegedly balance eachother out, but it still concerns me.

Please make a habit of citing your sources.

Health Canada said:
In 2008, Health Canada completed a safety review for diclofenac and found that diclofenac, especially at high doses (150 mg per day or more), is associated with an increased risk of serious heart and stroke adverse events. Information on the increased risk associated with the higher doses was included in the prescribing information for diclofenac-containing products. The current review investigated the more recent evidence published since 2008. The evidence confirmed the risk of serious heart and stroke adverse events in patients taking diclofenac for all indications, particularly at high doses (150 mg per day). Several large scale studies confirmed that users of diclofenac were at higher risk of heart and stroke related side effects than non-users as well as users of other NSAIDs.
http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2014/41701a-eng.php

I haven't read the study but, assuming it has been well conducted, the report speaks of a dose of 150mg a day or higher showing increased cardiovascular risks, which is pretty high already (6x25mg pills, 3x50mg, 2x75mg). The dosage used in both the Voltaren gels (3-4% = 30-40mg) and the minoxidil micro-emulsion containing diclofenac (0.5% = 5mg) are way lower.

Also, it's not the only selective COX inhibitor that's still being used despite a potential risk at higher doses: celecoxib is related to rofecoxib (Vioxx) and is still being widely used.

Furthermore, systemic absorption is bound to be rather low when used as a topical anyway.

DHTpolice

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Diclofenac 50 mg/g, 5% gel costs less than $2 for 40 g tube in local pharmacy. Is it really so cheap?
And most importantly, does it really inhibit inflamation in the scalp? Any positive experiences?