Telogen Effluvium

Shasha

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there has telogen effluvium...I'd love someone to talk about this with.

I noticed my hair was looking thinner about 2 months ago...Shortly after that my eyebrows and eyelashes started shedding as well! I was terrified!! I went to my doctor who checked my thyroid and iron levels, which came back fine. She said her best guess was that it was from my birth control pills, which I have been on for over a year and a half. She told me to see her in 6-8 weeks if it didn't improve (Doesn't she realize how LONG that is to wait when your hair is falling out!!).

Everyday more eyebrows, eyelashes and hair are falling out...When my alarm clock goes off in the morning I get really nervous and anxious about showering and washing my face, and would start every day crying. I have been off of my birth control pills for 5 and half weeks now...I can see a few eyebrows coming back, but everything keeps falling out!!

I also saw a dermatologist who said my doctor was probably right--that there was no indication that it was anything other than my hormones being out of whack from my bc pills. He didn't do any other tests, he just checked my scalp to make sure that it wasn't coming out in patches, which it isn't.

Even with this reassurance from 2 doctors I am crying everyday, and I just feel really depressed. I am so worried that it is something else causing it or that my hair wont come back. I feel so stupid because loosing a little bit of hair shouldn't be the focus of my life but it has become all I think about. I'm always worried. Everytime a few eyelashes fall out a burst into tears. I am contantly looking in the mirror for signs of regrowth. I feel like everyone is always looking at me--which is completely not true, but I can't stop feeling that way. I call my mom at least twice a day just to hear her tell me it's going to be ok. It's affecting my relationship with my husband because I feel so ugly and worried. It's all been pretty terrible.

Anyway if anyone out there is experiencing this I'd love to talk to you. Or anyone else who has advice on how long it will take to come back, or how to get my mind off of it.

Thanks so much...Can't wait to meet you all.

-Shahsa

Amy

Reaction score
Sasha,

If you are having hair falling out elsewhere than your head then that is definitely a huge sign of Telogen Effluvium. I have been having my hair fall out for three months now and some is growing back. My father passed away and I think my body went through such a huge stress that it shut down in terms of my hair. I have been through such a depression over my hair. I have learned to deal with it and if it does not come back there are always other solutions like Sequence in NY or even hair systems for women. As of now I am able to disguise it and only I can tell. The best thing is to be very positive and remember that it will come back and if it did not for some bazarre reason there are things you can do about it. I think they say that it is usually three to six months and then the fall out stops. They also say that the regrowth can be very slow so please be patient. I am sorry you are having to go through this and believe me I know exactly what you mean about mornings and showers and not wanting to go to work and the problems with your husband. I have been having all of those too. I just had to make a last minute trip bc my mom had a heart attack. I am now trying to help her but during this time I am realizing it is only hair and I am just going to hold out hope it will get better and if it does not then I will just do something about it and get the hair I always wanted in the first place. There is a forum under the women's cosmetics section of hair blending at sequence. It is nice to know there are options just in case The website for that place is http://www.sequencehair.com

Good luck to you and keep me posted.

Amy

G

Thanks Amy

Thanks so much for your reply. It's nice just to talk to someone who is going through the same thing. I'm sorry it's happening to you--as if you need anything else to make you feel bad when so much is going on in your family. I'm glad that you are able to keep a positive outlook--it's something I definately need to work on! :)

Are your eyebrows and eyelashes falling out too? Have you seen a dermatologist? I am going back to mine tomorrow...I saw him three weeks ago but a little reassurance always makes me feel better. I keep coming up with new questions too.

I know that there is no reason to think that my hair won't come back. But I can't get the "What ifs" out of my head. It's not rational, I know. I think some of it has to do with stopping my birth control pills--I think my hormones are trying to adjust and that is making me even more emotional and irrational. Anyway, I'm going to try to exercise or read or do something whenever I start to think about my hair--Hopefully I'll be able to keep my mind off of it, and be in great shape by the time my hair does come back! :lol:

Please keep me updated about your situation too. You write me whenever you feel upset, or even better whenever you feel great!

Nice to meet you and GOOD LUCK!! I'll be thinking about you!

Shasha (Sara)

G

Sorry, I have been checking the webist heralopecia bc I thought it had all moved there. Thanks for your note! To answer your question, no I did not lose any eyebrows or eyelashes. My hair is still doing pretty good. I have not had any excessive fall out and it seems to be pretty much under 50 a day. However, some hairs that are growing back are normal in thickness and some are tiny and thin. I fear that Androgenetic Alopecia might be kicking in now. Bummer. Who knows. I have read that in recovery from Telogen Effluvium you can have those intermediate hairs and then they fall and thicker ones replace them. Those small ones have been falling so I am keeping my fingers crossed. My biggest fear is that my husband and I are trying to have a baby and I dread losing my hair again after the birth. If this happens I will need to do something to hide it for sure!! I guess we only have today and should not worry about tommorrow.

How are things going with you? I hope very well!

G

Hi! I'm really sorry to hear that it's happening to you. I have had Telogen Effluvium for 6 months now. I also went to a doctor who took my bloodtests which were very good, I don't have stress and probably my reason why my hair is falling out is birth control pills also. I haven't take them a month for know but my hair is still falling out and itäs very depressing i know. I cry every day when i wash my hair

G

Hair Loss After Childbirth

My hairloss started about 4 months after I gave birth to my son and lasted for about 5 months before it stopped. (I had no hair loss with the birth of my daughter 6 years earlier) However, it did not grow back. My hair (which was very thick before) was noticibly thin and I had to cover a large portion of my front scalp with concealers. I had been crying every day and my relationship with my husband was suffering. I went to the dermatologist and he said that it was Telogen Effluvium and that there was nothing that I could do about - the hair might grow back, and it might not. At this point, I decided that I would just have to live with this situation/hair for the rest of my life. 4 Months later..my hair has started to fall out again - losing at least 100 hairs a day. My hair has gone from bad to worse. It is very hard to wake up in the morning and get ready for work anymore. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Featherhead

Reaction score
hairloss after childbirth Nothappy

I understand how terrible hairloss is for us ladies. I had a total hyst. 5 years ago due to a drs. error. I was told put it behind me. I have been on all types of hrt/ert. hairloss continues. I just changed to a bio identical 1mg estradiol All my tests are always normal. Been to derms(4) Endos.(3) Hair spec. in Philly N.Y. and Hershey'PA. Rheumatologists. Gynos(6) No one has helped me. I feel the same way you do everything is suffering around me. I feel because I now have frontal loss, receding. side loss, and nape of neck, its hormonal. I cant get answers whether the hormone replacement is doing this or its not enough because it is more natural. From reading your post I would say you have a hormonal upset going on which could throw us into chronic Telogen Effluvium episodes, I wish the best for you and all on this site. I read on here all the time but feel so sad most days I dont come on. I feel like 80 instead of 50. If anyone has suggestions for my sitation I would appreciate it also. :freaked2:

Baraian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there has telogen effluvium...I'd love someone to talk about this with.

I noticed my hair was looking thinner about 2 months ago...Shortly after that my eyebrows and eyelashes started shedding as well! I was terrified!! I went to my doctor who checked my thyroid and iron levels, which came back fine. She said her best guess was that it was from my birth control pills, which I have been on for over a year and a half. She told me to see her in 6-8 weeks if it didn't improve (Doesn't she realize how LONG that is to wait when your hair is falling out!!).

Everyday more eyebrows, eyelashes and hair are falling out...When my alarm clock goes off in the morning I get really nervous and anxious about showering and washing my face, and would start every day crying. I have been off of my birth control pills for 5 and half weeks now...I can see a few eyebrows coming back, but everything keeps falling out!!

I also saw a dermatologist who said my doctor was probably right--that there was no indication that it was anything other than my hormones being out of whack from my bc pills. He didn't do any other tests, he just checked my scalp to make sure that it wasn't coming out in patches, which it isn

Even with this reassurance from 2 doctors I am crying everyday, and I just feel really depressed. I am so worried that it is something else causing it or that my hair wont come back. I feel so stupid because loosing a little bit of hair shouldn't be the focus of my life but it has become all I think about. I'm always worried. Everytime a few eyelashes fall out a burst into tears. I am contantly looking in the mirror for signs of regrowth. I feel like everyone is always looking at me--which is completely not true, but I can't stop feeling that way. I call my mom at least twice a day just to hear her tell me it's going to be ok. It's affecting my relationship with my husband because I feel so ugly and worried. It's all been pretty terrible.

Anyway if anyone out there is experiencing this I'd love to talk to you. Or anyone else who has advice on how long it will take to come back, or how to get my mind off of it.

Thanks so much...Can't wait to meet you all.

-Shahsa

Hello Sasha. I know it's been ages since you posted on this forum but i find myself facing the same situation after startng BC for 2 months now. not only that my hair is falling out , but everyday now i see an eyelash, or two on my desk. They are definitely falling, and it's not autoimmune(at least not on my head). Haw are you doing now, after all this years and how was your recovery? every advice helps.

glory1

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you see your hair fall out, it tends to be very stressful and depressing. You will have to work on your mindset first. It is not easy, especially because you are fearing that you'll go bald tomorrow.

Reaction score
Treating hair loss is such a challenging task for everyone. It's not that easy to just get over the counter medication and just expect results immediately. Sometimes, it would cause too much stress and may even cause depression. But I believe that regardless of how difficult it can be, your mind is your number one defense.