Telogen Effluvium or misdiagnosis

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
On Sept 2, 2004 my entire life unravelled like never before due to an incident that brought about debilitating stress and depression, which continues even now nearly unabated. Three months later, in December 2004, maybe earlier, I noticed a lot of shedding. I freaked out and called my Dermatologist who is also my Father and he has told me that it is Telogen Effluvium. He has since told me numerous times and continues to maintain that he is positive that I am undergoing Telogen Effluvium. He claims to have seen 1000 cases of Telogen Effluvium and has never been wrong. I am not so sure though. I know everybody who reads this is going to agree with him, but I have my reasons for thinking otherwise. First, my temporal recession and frontal hairline recession is unbelievable rapid. It literally changes noticeably by the week. I have even noticed changes in the front from day to day sometimes. Secondly, I am now at least 3 months into the shedding and it continues with no sign of letting up. I lose about 200 hairs a day and my hair is unbelievably thin compared with what it used to be. There is not a single person, and I mean no one, in my entire family on either side as far back as anybody can remember with baldness, except my brother who went rapidly bald in his mid 20's. I am 34 and don't think I'll have much left in a year. I hear about these people who have been going bald for 10+ years and it amazes me because mine is so much more rapid. Sorry to be so wordy, just wanted to let people know about possible misdiagnosis of hair loss. Sorry, Dad, but the average Dermatologist doesn't know sh*t about hairloss and this includes you. The only Derms that should be consulted are those on the cutting edge of hairloss.

Bismarck

Reaction score
There are several reasons your father could be right:

- The stress and depression you mention preceded the hairloss
- The fact your hairloss is so severe that your see it worsen daily. This is uncommon for male pattern baldness sufferer (except Deaner)
- no family history of hairloss.

It would be interesting to know whether you also loose much hair at the back and sides.

bis

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
I had rapid shedding for 4 months burning itchy scalp etc the doctor told me it was due to stress like you my hair has really thinned and i lost a fair bit at the front and vertex crown more or less diffuse all over.I was worried sick at the rate it was thinning.But now even though my hair is thin.There is regrowth coming through in the front and other areas where i had lost hair.I know it will take a long time for my hair to recover from this and hopefully get back to normal.Just try to keep your stress levels down hard to say i know i know but one day you will find the shedding will ease all by itself and you will be on your way to regrowth.good luck :)

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Also now even though im having regrowth on the top i have noticed recently a line of hair lost on my right side going down from behind my ear to where the hair ends.

lossing my hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I had the same experience too. After going through a very depressing and anxious period of my life.. I lost around 40 % of my hair on top like in 3 month with no exxageration.. my hair loss was not the typical pattern it was spots of visible scalp in certain area. i still cant find a pic of the same emerging hair loss pattern. It was so surprising that i still can't believe it. sometimes is less depressive if one expectes it but i didn't. No one in my fam from my generation never loss hair like that. I have 1 unckle that is bald out of my whole fam. im talking about greatgrandparent and all. the crazy thing is that 1 bald unckle sons who has his father bald and mother side bald still at 30 years old has more hair then me. Once again but 4 month ago that wasn't the case. Im glad to hear about people that had the same experience with this sudden hair loss on top and recover. In other words maybe for some with a real stressfull situation. Im not talking about everyday stress im talking the type of stress that is so strong that makes you somtimes go crazy can be Telogen Effluvium even if the rapid shed happens on the top.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Mine started after when i lost a close family member in the begining of the year and i was stressed and depressed up until about july time then in October i started to loose the hair.Then about middle of January the hair loss has slowed down from 50-80 hairs lost when i washed my hair which was everyday to now 10-20 the worse area hit the crown vertex. :( but now i see a good amount of regrowth poping up in and around the front hard to tell if its growing back at the back as i cant look back that far but im just going to wait for 6 months give it time and see what happens.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
First, yes Bismark, you are right about the timing. It all fits perfectly with the timeline as I understand it with Telogen Effluvium. But one thing that really makes me doubt is that I am ony losing it on the top with recession in the front. Back and sides are fine.

Also, Mickey, I don't know the significance, but I don't have any burning or itching. And the changes that are most obvious are along the hair line. Straight up recession changing almost daily, not to downplay the fact that I am shedding and thinning like crazy all over on top, but the receeding hairline doesn't seem to be in line with what I have read about Telogen Effluvium - another reason I am doubting the Telogen Effluvium diagnosis. You do give me quite a bit of optimism, though, so thanks, and good luck to you, sounds like you are on the road to recovery.

Lossing, you give me hope also. And no, I am not talking about everyday stress. This stress began with an inciting event and was debilitating. Many people live their entire lives without experiencing this type of stress. My shed is clearly on top accompanied by a rapidly receeding hairline.

I'll try to post some pics.

Thanks, all. I'll keep you updated.

Reaction score
rapid frontal, i'm no expert so take this for what its worth but, i have done a little research in this area due to having a similar situation. i think your dad may be right to an extent. the time frame and volume of your loss sounds consistent w/ tel effl. but, the signs of extreme loss at your temples suggests you may be succeptible to male pattern baldness, as during a tel effl. male pattern baldness effected areas are hit especialy hard and more noticable. and since your brother has hairloss there is potential in your family. but if your 34 w/ no prev. hairloss your male pattern baldness isn't that severe, that may be a good sign you won't lose much even during this tel eff. my limited understanding is that during a tel effl once the inciting cause is removed you will stop shedding a few months later. then your hair will grow back around 4-12 months later, but the hair affected by male pattern baldness will grow back miniaturized, to what degree i don't know.Obviously you dont enjoy being under severe stress/dep. and would change it if you could, but i would guess the sooner you alleviate the stressors going on the sooner your tel. effl. would subside.i don't know if you would consider getting on anti dep to stabilize your chemistry until you are better able to deal w/ your circumstances, but that is something i am seriously contemplating.

I have a very similar situation to you as far as shedding, depression/stress, loss at hairline. I have traded a few emails w/ dr.lee who is i guess an expert on hairloss, and am hoping to hear back from him again. let me know if you want me to post some of his replies and other info you might be interested in that might apply to your situation. good luck i can realy empathize w/ what your going through.

lossing my hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Lets not get things twisted though. If we have a family history of hair loss. Fathers, unckles, etc with hair loss theres a 95& chance it might be male pattern baldness. What im saying is male pattern baldness has a process that i feel didn't happen with me. It was sudden and severe after a stressful event in my life so thats why Telogen Effluvium it's in my mind as maybe the cause. however im on Propecia just in case. even though my fam and nobody at my age has hair loss except 1 unckle out a huge huge family but not even his sons has hair loss.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
What im concerned about is the burning pain i had on my scalp its eased off now.But when i got it the next day when it eased off i lost a lot more hair If you are suffering from male pattern baldness do you get that.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I hear you, and I am pretty realistic about the chances that it is male pattern baldness. Lossing, you and I have a lot in common. Nobody in my family has ever been bald except my brother. I have talked to my parents and aunts and uncles and looked at every available picture going back to my great grandparents and there is not a single incidince on either side anywhere. But my brother began losing his hair at about 22 and was completely slick bald in his late twenties. Everybody in the family was shocked because they had never seen it before in the family, in fact most in the family had very thick lasting hair. I am 34 and have had great thick hair always until the recently. My timeline fits perfectly with Telogen Effluvium and I am hopeful, but not losing it on the sides and back makes me worried, my father still thinks it is Telogen Effluvium (he's the Derm).

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I started with Propecia also, just in case. And all should know that I do have a little thinning on the crown that has been going on for quite a while, but it is very contained and until my recent shedding began the rest of the hair on my head was very thick. Also, I do have some natural recession in my temples that was there before my shedding began, but again it wasntained and didn't use to bother me.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Curbed, I would appreciate seeing what Dr. Lee has to say, thanks. Also, I did consider getting on medication to relieve the stress that began about 6 months ago, but honestly I think I am getting through it now. The inciting event that occurred in my life was 6 months ago and the stress continues and I would say that I am in the process of removing what it was that caused the stress in the first place, but it is sort of a long process, so I guess I am just prolonging the Telogen Effluvium if that is in fact what I have. I am considering medication, but I probably will not go on it.

lossing my hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Mickey, the pain you are experiencing may be a symptom called Thrichodynia. It may coexist with Depression etc, male pattern baldness or Telogen Effluvium.

Rapid, I hate to say this but if your brother is bald at such a young age theres has to be a male pattern baldness link to your family. however the sudden and rapid way you lost your hair could be otherwise. About taking medication for your stress, From a person that did do that if you could fight it with out a serious need fight it. All i can say the nasty withdrawal effect that your Doctor don't tell you about is so real that i have 7 month still fighting it and i believe if my hair loss is due to stress whether it's male pattern baldness or Telogen Effluvium i guarantee that the withdrawal effect had to do with it.

Mickey

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks losing my hair :) as ive noticed regrowth in the front im going to give it 6 months and see what happens i dont really want to start treatment if it turns out to be Telogen Effluvium as the shedding has slowed down and i see some regrowth im just going to take a chance and see what happens to the rest. :?

Reaction score
rapid, like i said our situations seem very similar, I had an extreme continuing episode of stress/depression and months later noticed extreme shedding (lose 300+ hairs when i shampoo) which I still exper. My hairline has also been ravaged during this time. The difference is I began finasteride almost imed. after i noticed the shed, 5 months ago. According to Dr.Lee finasteride can in rare instances can induce a tel.effluvium, so i don't know to what extent if any finasteride has contributed to my situation, so this further complicates things for me.
As i was re reading my emails to dr.lee i realized much of them revolved around finasteride use, so i didn't think that would be helpful to you. So i only submitted a short excerpt from the email. But i included some quotes from articles that i've seen and some links to articles htat might interest you. I recently wrote email that posed some ques. relevant to what your exper. If i receive a reply w/ any helpful info i will repost it on this thread.

"There are no specific numbers that we can put on the numbers or percentages of hair shed in a telogen effluvium. The amount and degree of hair loss is dependent on the severity of the telogen effluvium. Rarely, will the amount of hair loss exceed 50%. The shedding is generally diffuse (global) and can affect areas of the scalp not usually affected by male pattern baldness. So, it would be common to note shedding from the sides and back of the head in addition to the crown, vertex and frontal areas. The shedding tends to be fairly symmetrical, but will be more noticeable in the areas affected by male pattern baldness, because there is a higher ratio of hairs in the telogen phase than in the other areas of the scalp. The shedding lasts about 6 weeks. It usually takes 4 months to a year for the hair to grow back."

"If the telogen effluvium is not coupled with accelerated pattern loss, then all of the hair should grow back within a year, beginning as early as 4 months after the effluvium"

"Many hair loss sufferers with traditional male or female pattern baldness want to believe they have Telogen Effluvium (Telogen Effluvium), because it provides a glimmer of hope that the whole ordeal is just temporary. Unfortunately, Telogen Effluvium by definition is a condition that occurs in response to serious traumatic shock to the system as a whole. It is not a something that will happen without any abnormalities going on in your life. Things like sudden shock, chronic debilitating stress, extreme malnutrition, certain medications, and chronic serious illness are the most common causes. There is no way to know for sure how long shedding will last with telogen effluvium. Increased shedding occurs in response to a trigger factor. If exposure to the trigger is brief and there are no other contributing factors then the shedding may last for around 3 months and then recover so that 6 months later the hair is pretty much back to normal. However, if the trigger factor hangs around, like chronic stress or illness, then the shedding may persist. The hair follicles can get into a habit of short, truncated growth cycles, producing short hair that falls out after a few months. This results in a high shed rate ? although the hair loss on the scalp need not progress much. "

"Since it would be normal to have 10 to 15% of all the hairs on the scalp in the telogen phase, we can expect that 50-100 of those hairs are at the end of the phase and will readily shed. The anagen phase is in proportion to the size of the follicle and can vary from months to years. Vellus hairs have an anagen period of a few months. However, regardless of the length of the growing period or of the size of the hair follicle, the length of the telogen phase remains fairly stable, i.e. approximately 100 days. As a consequence, the anagen/telogen ratio in an area affected by male pattern baldness is higher than in areas unaffected or less affected by male pattern baldness (male pattern baldness), so in any given time period, there will be more shedding of hair from the areas affected by male pattern baldness than there will be in the remainder of the scalp."

"Often the cause of a telogen effluvium are obscure, but has been related to high fevers, stress, trauma, medications, etc.

The shedding is generally diffuse (global) and can affect areas of the scalp not usually affected by male pattern baldness. So, it would be common to note shedding from the sides and back of the head in addition to the crown, vertex and frontal areas. The shedding tends to be fairly symmetrical, but will be more noticeable in the areas affected by male pattern baldness, because there is a higher ratio of hairs in the telogen phase than in the other areas of the scalp.

The duration of a telogen effluvium is variable, but rarely lasts more than a few months and there is invariably complete restitution unless another pathologic process also occurs. "

"The alopecia in male pattern baldness is caused by progressive miniaturization, rather than destruction of involved hair follicles. In affected follicles, the percentage of hairs in telogen is increased and the duration of anagen is decreased. As a consequence, there is relatively more shedding in areas affected by male pattern baldness. Since vellus and intermediate hairs have a short anagen phase, they will shed frequently. There can be permanent hair loss because the replacement hair shaft is finer in texture and lacks the same volume.

The age of onset and the rate of progression of male pattern baldness are genetically controlled and cannot be predicted. There are times of remission and, alternately, times of acceleration. When there is a period of acceleration, it is often proceeded by a telogen effluvium. male pattern baldness can proceed with alarming speed and everyone is familiar with stories of men who went bald ‘overnight’. Unfortunately (and understandably) the patient will blame whatever event or treatment coincided with the accelerated hair loss. It is the philosophical fallacy of post hoc, ergo propter hoc, i.e. "after this, therefore, because of this". Since the dramatic miniaturization of the follicle occurs within one single hair growth cycle, these patients are poorly responsive to treatment and reversing the male pattern baldness is improbable. "

"Stress:
Stress can cause a type of hair loss called telogen effluvium. This condition is not caused by the general accumulated stress of ordinary interactions with people at home and at work, but rather by sudden severe emotional or physiological incidents. Severe stressful events can cause some or most actively growing hair follicles to prematurely shift into the regression phase, and then the resting phase, during which the hairs fall out easily.

There is usually a delay of a few weeks to a few months before the shedding is noticeable, but after this delay the shedding seems to occur quite suddenly. Because the shedding is delayed, this type of hair loss is often a mystery to the person suffering the condition. The stressful event that triggered it is frequently forgotten, and it is rarely thought to be connected with the "new problem."

Examples of sudden severe emotionally stressful events include the death or terminal illness of a family member or close friend, marriage, divorce, and unexpected job loss. Severe physiological stressful events shock the body, and some examples are heart attacks, major surgery, and illnesses with prolonged high fever such as malaria, viral pneumonia, and severe cases of the flu.

In most cases of telogen effluvium, the hair follicles recover and soon shift back to the regular growth cycle.

However, repeated instances of telogen effluvium can result in premature hair loss in people predisposed to lose their hair late in life. The average growth cycle of a hair follicle takes about 5 years, but each follicle is "genetically programmed" for only a limited number of growth cycles. For example, if a particular hair follicle were "genetically programmed" for only 10 growth cycles, after about 50 years that follicle would stop producing new hairs. When all the follicles at the hairline or crown of the head are "genetically programmed" this way, a receding hairline or bald spot appears after all the growth cycles for the follicles in those areas have been cycled through.

Each incidence of telogen effluvium uses up one "life" of the affected hair follicles. So instead of having a receding hairline or bald spot at age 50, the hair loss may occur a few years earlier. This is not a significant issue if telogen effluvium occurs once or twice in a lifetime; however accelerated hair loss can result from repeated severe stressful events, if each instance triggers a new round of telogen effluvium.

I had a patient who was totally bald when I met him at age 70, and he had lost all his hair by age 22. He had worked on the Panama Canal 50 years earlier, and for two straight years starting when he was 20 he suffered repeated bouts of severe fever from episodes of malaria. Each time he suffered from malaria-induced fever he experienced telogen effluvium, lost what hair he had, and his hair follicles lost another "life." After 10 or 15 malaria stress-cycles, at the age of 22 he had the hair he would have had at age 70. Which unfortunately for him was no hair at all!"

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... depression

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... n&start=10

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article222.htm

http://www.hairdoc.com/book/chapter4.html

http://www.hairdoc.com/book/chapter14.html

http://forhair.com/stressAndHair.htm

http://forhair.com/stressAndHair2.htm

http://forhair.com/stressAndHair3.htm

http://forhair.com/stressAndHair4.htm

lossing my hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn! yeah i think i experienced the accelarated male pattern baldness just like that patient who work on the Panama canal who had 2 straight years suffering from severe fever from episodes of Malaria. Even though my episodes didn't have to do with fever it did had to do with chronic stress. Thanks for that good info Curbed.

gonna_win

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you don't believe your dad's advice why don't you go and get a second opinion.