Tape or glue

superhair1b

Reaction score
I would like to know some tips about this, i just bought my french lace for first time and i dont know if i have to use glue or tapes? or both? can you help me please? also for remove i have to use c-22 and that all i need ?

some people told me to use lace because in french lace the glue is very hard to clean and tape is better, but also i read glue is better for the intectability, and i saw videos using both, so can you help me please ?

so i need only to buy those 2 things? the attachment method and the disolvent that is c-22 isnt or i need something more?

thanks and sorry my english

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Rooster and Superhair

Tape is stronger and quicker to clean, but more detectable to touch and to see, so it is a balancing exercise. Personally I usually use tape for the sides and the back, but glue at the front. Glue is not as strong, and it is messier to clean up, but I still think it is worth it for my hairline, because I partially expose it. If you cover up your hairline with bangs, tape is probably OK. I would also use tape for "extreme" situations like waterskiing. I have used all glue in the past in situations where I was concerned about detectability to the touch (the hot date situation).

C-22 is fine for removal, but it is basically just alcohol and perfume. It is cheaper and easier just to buy 99% alcohol. That is what I use.

Good luck with your systems. If you have any problems, please feel free to ask.

noah

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wear lace and I am a tape all round wearer. Tried glue before and being very clumsy it didnt work out too good as I got more on the hair than the piece. Very happy with the tape in terms of handling, hold and discretion. You may be different and you should experiment and find what works best for you.

C22 and tissues are all you need for clean ups.

superhair1b

Reaction score
thanks very much guys, the tape i have to put it in the edges around the system ? but the center is free of tapes and anything isnt ?

And any tape in special? no shine ? any brand or something ? thanks very much

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Around the perimeter is enough. Aim for a couple mms inside the perimeter. Walker's Supertape is what I use.

Noah

Reaction score
No-shine Pro is pretty good. Personally I use Ultrahold tape for a strong hold at the back and sides.

Tape is mainly just for the perimeter, but some people like to put a strip down the middle of their scalp, to eliminate any feeling of slackness in the middle of the base. Because I use glue at the hairline, I also put a piece of tape parallel with my hairline but about three-quarters of an inch back. The takes some of the pressure off the hairline glue.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
No-shine Pro is pretty good. Personally I use Ultrahold tape for a strong hold at the back and sides.

Tape is mainly just for the perimeter, but some people like to put a strip down the middle of their scalp, to eliminate any feeling of slackness in the middle of the base. Because I use glue at the hairline, I also put a piece of tape parallel with my hairline but about three-quarters of an inch back. The takes some of the pressure off the hairline glue.
Thanks. Can tape be worn on the hairline if the hair on one's piece is long, dense and wavy? For reference, I wear my current hair similar to this:
http://manlycurls.com/blog_new/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/jim-morrison-hair1-300x186.jpg

I think it would be a bit easier to get away with tape at the front with this as opposed to having a short hairstyle where the hairline is exposed.

SamSmithuk

Reaction score
Anyone recommend any particular tape or products for an extremely oily scalp?

Hi Thespain
I have oily scalp and tried many different tapes and glues, the one I am using at the moment is Supertape low profile, even though this is a strong tape I usually get a week from it then have to reattach, if i have been exercising and it has lifted I use ORWG to top up the front. I have had no look with glues as they just seem to melt after a few days and makes clean up so much harder!

superhair1b

Reaction score
Guys which glue do you recommend me for the front of my french lace? i use tape in the perimeter but i want glue for the front,

should i go for ultra hold or davlin green ? or which? thanks very much

Noah

Reaction score
Both fine. Ultrahold is stronger but messier to clean up. I would use it if you expect to be doing a lot of sweating, otherwise the Davlyn. Do you have a poly or thinskin rim on your piece?

Noah

Reaction score
It might be worth considering a thinskin trim around the back and sides on your next order. It gives a smooth surface for tape or glue to stick to, and makes the clean up a little easier. It is almost imperceptible to feel. Get thinskin though, not poly (which can be felt).

Daltoncjackson

Reaction score
I think a water based glue is the best, because it's least toxic.
I have a system with half an inch lace front with a net center and a polymer perimeter.

My system when first put on was done with tape and adhesive, so i could get few weeks hold. But after a week and half i had to remove the system as the itching got too bad.

I washed, cleaned the hair system, and re-shaved my scalp etc and made sure it was clean.

I then got Supertape for the back and sides and i got Ghost Bond XL for the lace front to get a more natural hairline. But this is where the problem started...

I applied the Supertape and attached the system to my scalp, that was fine. But with the Ghost Bond XL adhesive, the lace front lifts within 24 hours.

I do 4 layers of Ghost Bond XL, 20 seconds between each layer and then 5 mins drying time after final layer, then pull the lace front over and attach. I noticed, if i don't do around 4 to 5 mins drying time and pull the lace down, the adhesive goes through the lace and dries white/grey along the hairline. I don't get my hair wet for 24 hours. The following day i notice the lace is very slightly lifting.

After showering, water runs down in one direction, from the crown to the front and towel drying my hair by patting down. I attempt to brush my hair up (quiff style) and the lace front is lifting away from my scalp. I push it down to attach it but after a while it lifts up again... By the following day, the lace is more of less lifting around the whole hair line, it ripples, as certain sections still attached and other sections not... i try to push it down but no luck... so i have to start all over again...

I only shampoo the hair system once a week, but i do get the hair system wet every day, again with a 24hour delay after attaching with adhesive... Ghost Bond XL is meant to give a tighter bond... i believe it's designed for Heat, humidity and sweat. Although i don't sweat as much on my scalp, i still thought this was the best adhesive around...

I was under the impression that Ghost Bond is meant to give around 1 week hold, not 24hours... Am i doing something wrong?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Dalton

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your bond. I have a number of ideas which might help:

- try letting each layer of glue (rather than just the last one) dry before you put on the next one. Each one should dry to tacky - like the glue on a Post-it note.

- try some different adhesives. If you are putting on 4 layers of Ghostbond and you're still not getting 24 hours of adhesion, that may mean Ghostbond just doesn't work for you. Everyone's body chemistry is different, so try something else. There are tons of options. I like the Davlyn glues for the hairline. Or you could try 3 mil tape, which is glue in a tape format - ie when you remove the backing there is just adhesive left; no actual tape. You don't seem to be having as much trouble with the tape, so that might be better, at least till you find a better alternative glue.

- are you cleaning your system and your scalp with a rub of alcohol before you apply the adhesives, to make sure there is no lingering oil? If not, try that.

- are you applying your system in a cool dry atmosphere, so that you are not sweating as you put it on? You should try to avoid sweating for a couple of hours after application.

- are you pressing the edge of the system well into the glue (just checking the obvious LOL). I press it down into the glue with the side of a comb. If you are using 3 mil tape, you can warm it up a bit with a burst of tepid hairdryer, and that seems to help too.

- if you are doing all this and it is still not sticking, maybe your perspiration is bad with glue. Try applying a medical grade antiperspirant on the areas where the adhesive is going to go. Hair Direct carry a brand called Maxxim (or something like that) which is good for the job.

- alternatively, use a scalp protector or liquid bandage on your scalp under where the adhesives are going to go. These create an invisible barrier between your scalp and the adhesive, blocking your perspiration and giving the adhesive a good dry surface to adhere to.

I hope one of these helps.

Noah

Daltoncjackson

Reaction score
Hi Noah,
the 4 layers i do woth ghostbond xl as 4 thin layers, i leave it for aprox 20 seconds between each layer, this is usually when the adhesive turns clear and is tacky.

i am using 99% rubbing alcohol on my scalp to clear any old adhesive etc. I am currently not using scalp protector because i was under the impression you dont need to with ghostbond.

yes when applying the adhesive i am in a cool room, im not sweating during application as there are no white no pathes in the adhesive.

i am using the back of a comb to press down the edges after i applied the hair system.

I have just placed an order for ORWG but realised that its not medical grade or waterproof?! But will give that a go.

Davlyn is solvent and not waterbase? I thought waterbase were best for hairline and cleaning up etc. 3 mil tape comes in strips or a roll? Cant seem to find it...

Hi Dalton

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your bond. I have a number of ideas which might help:

- try letting each layer of glue (rather than just the last one) dry before you put on the next one. Each one should dry to tacky - like the glue on a Post-it note.

- try some different adhesives. If you are putting on 4 layers of Ghostbond and you're still not getting 24 hours of adhesion, that may mean Ghostbond just doesn't work for you. Everyone's body chemistry is different, so try something else. There are tons of options. I like the Davlyn glues for the hairline. Or you could try 3 mil tape, which is glue in a tape format - ie when you remove the backing there is just adhesive left; no actual tape. You don't seem to be having as much trouble with the tape, so that might be better, at least till you find a better alternative glue.

- are you cleaning your system and your scalp with a rub of alcohol before you apply the adhesives, to make sure there is no lingering oil? If not, try that.

- are you applying your system in a cool dry atmosphere, so that you are not sweating as you put it on? You should try to avoid sweating for a couple of hours after application.

- are you pressing the edge of the system well into the glue (just checking the obvious LOL). I press it down into the glue with the side of a comb. If you are using 3 mil tape, you can warm it up a bit with a burst of tepid hairdryer, and that seems to help too.

- if you are doing all this and it is still not sticking, maybe your perspiration is bad with glue. Try applying a medical grade antiperspirant on the areas where the adhesive is going to go. Hair Direct carry a brand called Maxxim (or something like that) which is good for the job.

- alternatively, use a scalp protector or liquid bandage on your scalp under where the adhesives are going to go. These create an invisible barrier between your scalp and the adhesive, blocking your perspiration and giving the adhesive a good dry surface to adhere to.

I hope one of these helps.

Noah

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 505