Tape/glue breaking down seeping into system and bio hair

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I spray the affected area, and I like to leave it overnight (12 hours, if possible).

It's best to wipe off as much as possible once the C-22 emulsifies with the adhesive, when it gets into the hair... it can be a mess to remove. Try rinsing it off with cool water, if possible. If you use shampoo... it emulsifies with the shampoo... and becomes this white GOOP... that is hard to remove.
So you use dish washing liquid after you've rinsed off all that's possible with just water?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you use dish washing liquid after you've rinsed off all that's possible with just water?
I only use Fairy Liquid when I am unable to rinse out all of the C-22 gunk. Lately, I have not needed it, I have become better at applying it.

Jbalding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies!
I do think realistically having done a little reading on here that the months I’ve been told are quite unrealistic and if I get between 4/6 months that would be very good!
I also do need to attempt some self maintenance. I’m due to have it done at my salon this weekend but then may try myself after.

I’ve read the posts Noah has provided about lining it up and will definitely be using that as that is one of things I’m most concerned with if attempting it myself.

Also are there any tips to get glue out which has seeped through? am I right in thinking conditioner can help other than just c22?
Be conservative and say 5 months. My last piece lasted 6 months and i was very hard on it, being my first. Tons of brushing, showering every day w shampoo and conditioner etc. You need to learn to do it yourself, it really is not hard at all, you just fear the unknown. It takes me about an hour a week and that includes setting everything up, removal, re-doing it, and cleaning the bathroom. 3 Weeks is far too long, I re-do the 1 inch of hairline every week and then the whole unit every 2. At 3 weeks ill start to get that tape-glue seepage you talk about. Just try it out, you're just gluing something to your head, it's not a big deal.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I only use Fairy Liquid when I am unable to rinse out all of the C-22 gunk. Lately, I have not needed it, I have become better at applying it.
But there will definitely be invisible c22 oily residue which you have to 100% wash out. Otherwise not possible to get any bond at all. So shampoo is enough for that?

It's weird that Hairdirect tells you to do the opposite. It guides you not to put any water on the base, but first work the dish washing liquid in it, then some water to create lather as this is what actually breaks and washes off the residue. What do you think? They say that if water comes first, it kicks of the c22 and the glue is left in a less removable state.

What actually makes people not to use a hair system anymore? If it's dry, then you use oils and conditioners, if it starts turning red, you use coloring conditioner or and actual hair color. The only unsolvable problem would be that it's becoming bald.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been wearing a system for 9 months now. I had my first one fitted in July which was a poly/mono base with lace front. Unfortunately, the front shed very quickly and the salon said this was due to a manufacturer issue, so they replaced it under warranty. They couldn’t get a like for like replacement so replaced it with a what I think was a PU front. I have an exposed hairline and this system looked ridiculous. It was way too thick and dense and just a wall of hair. So, after two months I went to a different salon who suggested a lace with poly perimeter system which they could supply.

I’ve been wearing this now since December and have been having 3 weekly maintenance sessions. However I’m really struggling with the system. The first two weeks it is always perfect but by the third week the tape starts to break down and I can feel it seeping around the edge and crown onto the system and my bio hair.

The system is applied with tape all around and I change the fronts myself. I’m not confident enough to do a full reinstall but was wondering is there anything I can do to get a longer hold/stop the seepage?

How do people wear all lace, workout regularly and get such long hold times? Is it something I’m doing wrong? Also whats the best way to clear the seepage in between maintenance sessions (if that’s even possible, my stylist said to just comb some lace release gently through?). Given the current situation I want the system to last as long as possible but I feel it’s not going to with this issue.

2 weeks your lucky. Most people re-apply tapes from 1-2 weeks anyway.
I can't even go 1 week without my hair system/head itching like crazy and the tape breaking down.

I use Walker blue lace front tape. I think it's crap, breaking down to goo in less than a week is terrible.
I got Walker extenda bond and no shine to also try.

HairSystemUk

My Regimen
Reaction score
Be conservative and say 5 months. My last piece lasted 6 months and i was very hard on it, being my first. Tons of brushing, showering every day w shampoo and conditioner etc. You need to learn to do it yourself, it really is not hard at all, you just fear the unknown. It takes me about an hour a week and that includes setting everything up, removal, re-doing it, and cleaning the bathroom. 3 Weeks is far too long, I re-do the 1 inch of hairline every week and then the whole unit every 2. At 3 weeks ill start to get that tape-glue seepage you talk about. Just try it out, you're just gluing something to your head, it's not a big deal.
I think 5 months is sensible. I have been trying to take care of it, shampooping it biweekly if I can, but water in the shower more regularly and leave in conditioner. However the seepage I think is somewhat rapidly shortening the life of it. 1 do the hairline weekly or two weeks if I can get away it, however still reluctant to do the full re-do. It does sound so simple when uou put it like that and it is just gluing something to head and do need to eventually attempt it.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I think 5 months is sensible. I have been trying to take care of it, shampooping it biweekly if I can, but water in the shower more regularly and leave in conditioner. However the seepage I think is somewhat rapidly shortening the life of it. 1 do the hairline weekly or two weeks if I can get away it, however still reluctant to do the full re-do. It does sound so simple when uou put it like that and it is just gluing something to head and do need to eventually attempt it.
How does the seepage shorten the life of it?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Glue gets int the knots, and then causes the hair to clump together, and that can't be undone. You start to form dreadlocks.
Yeah, a few dreadlocks can look ugly, but does it mean the end of a system? Dreadlock forming doesn't cause shedding, right?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, a few dreadlocks can look ugly, but does it mean the end of a system? Dreadlock forming doesn't cause shedding, right?
It causes the lace to bunch up and makes the hair uncombable... if you want a head full of messy dreads, go for it. Otherwise, the system is unwearable. In some cases, I have had the factory do a repair, but this is better prevented.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
What you mean by "dreadlock" is basically the same as what we call "tangling"? Just more maybe?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
What you mean by "dreadlock" is basically the same as what we call "tangling"? Just more maybe?
No...

Have you ever seen a dreadlock?

Except in the case of a hair system, it's just at the base.

Attachments

• white-boy-dreads-13-370x210.jpg
    white-boy-dreads-13-370x210.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 46

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have posted this pic before but should be seen again. This is what happens to a system that does not get combed out daily, that the wearer does not use leave-in with UV-protection, and does not remove and replace frequently enough, so the knots are all stuck with glue.

The original color on this system was a #3. And this is only about 6 weeks of use.

A386FA77-2BE1-4970-9D08-064B213EEAE9.jpg

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have posted this pic before but should be seen again. This is what happens to a system that does not get combed out daily, that the wearer does not use leave-in with UV-protection, and does not remove and replace frequently enough, so the knots are all stuck with glue.

The original color on this system was a #3. And this is only about 6 weeks of use.

View attachment 159106
Been there before, but usually from adhesive mixing with water etc and getting all into the hair.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

View attachment 159106
A very familiar look. Though, these seem like dreadlocks even further up than just the base. I wouldn't throw it away yet. I think I could comb and condition it back to a better look. 6 weeks is a little bit too early for that maybe, but when I want to push 6 months out of a system I will definitely need to accept this look. Mine is 4 months now and it's not that bad yet, but becoming close to it. If it's on the head and combed through a lot, it becomes quite normal. Depends how neat you need to look, though, probably. You will have a little messy look yes. You could comb it before putting on the head as well. Yesterday I went to my hairdresser and said that I may be forming dreadlocks and she started combing and after awhile she said that they are out now. :rolleyes:

Do you think not using UV protection contributes to this as well?

Do you think you need to use leave-in conditioner absolutely every day? Someone suggested not to do that, because too much conditioner would make you wash the hair more and that would be bad, and now I've been doing it like twice a week.

Thank you!

Jbalding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A very familiar look. Though, these seem like dreadlocks even further up than just the base. I wouldn't throw it away yet. I think I could comb and condition it back to a better look. 6 weeks is a little bit too early for that maybe, but when I want to push 6 months out of a system I will definitely need to accept this look. Mine is 4 months now and it's not that bad yet, but becoming close to it. If it's on the head and combed through a lot, it becomes quite normal. Depends how neat you need to look, though, probably. You will have a little messy look yes. You could comb it before putting on the head as well. Yesterday I went to my hairdresser and said that I may be forming dreadlocks and she started combing and after awhile she said that they are out now. :rolleyes:

Do you think not using UV protection contributes to this as well?

Do you think you need to use leave-in conditioner absolutely every day? Someone suggested not to do that, because too much conditioner would make you wash the hair more and that would be bad, and now I've been doing it like twice a week.

Thank you!
If you're saying THAT is acceptable and salvageable I dont even want to know what you have on your head right now. THAT should not be a familiar look. My old system was 6 months old and never looked even a tiny bit close to that.