Tape/glue breaking down seeping into system and bio hair

HairSystemUk

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been wearing a system for 9 months now. I had my first one fitted in July which was a poly/mono base with lace front. Unfortunately, the front shed very quickly and the salon said this was due to a manufacturer issue, so they replaced it under warranty. They couldn’t get a like for like replacement so replaced it with a what I think was a PU front. I have an exposed hairline and this system looked ridiculous. It was way too thick and dense and just a wall of hair. So, after two months I went to a different salon who suggested a lace with poly perimeter system which they could supply.

I’ve been wearing this now since December and have been having 3 weekly maintenance sessions. However I’m really struggling with the system. The first two weeks it is always perfect but by the third week the tape starts to break down and I can feel it seeping around the edge and crown onto the system and my bio hair.

The system is applied with tape all around and I change the fronts myself. I’m not confident enough to do a full reinstall but was wondering is there anything I can do to get a longer hold/stop the seepage?

How do people wear all lace, workout regularly and get such long hold times? Is it something I’m doing wrong? Also whats the best way to clear the seepage in between maintenance sessions (if that’s even possible, my stylist said to just comb some lace release gently through?). Given the current situation I want the system to last as long as possible but I feel it’s not going to with this issue.

Last edited:

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
You could ask about a different tape - it could be that this one disagrees with your chemistry. That said, I find the idea of three weeks without changing tapes unimaginable.

I think the answer here is to learn to refit yourself. It's really daunting at first, but until you learn, you'll be relying on your salon for everything. The money you can save alone is worth doing this for.

My suggestion: watch some videos, get as much knowledge as you can, and then set aside a day (if you can) where you won't be interrupted. It won't take all day of course, but you should give yourself a couple of hours to do the first one just so you can take it slowly, step by step.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You kind of answered your own question :) … if by the third week you are getting seepage then your body chemistry, like myself, does not allow us to go that long. It took me a little while to just get over the fact that my head is much too oily to go these crazy long periods that some people get. I go no longer than 2 weeks at a time and during these 2 weeks I normally redo my hairline 2-3 times. You can experiment with different tapes, but I’ll tell you right now you most likely won’t get that much longer of a hold. Yes, certain tapes do seem to work better with my scalp but it’s not like 1 time will last me 1 week while another last a month. We are talking at most a few days difference.

I really hate to break it to you, but you are almost forced to teach yourself how to do it OR spend crazy amounts of money and time to go to your salon more often. Don’t be scared by it. I’ve only been doing this for like 7-8 months at the most and I taught myself from the help of this forum and a lot of research. It’s seriously not as overwhelming as it first may seem. Not going to lie there were a few times I felt like I would never perfect my method, but you will. You will discover techniques that work best for you.

Suggestion… if you are married or have a girlfriend then let them help you. My girlfriend from day one has done all my retaping and placing it on my head. I do all the clean up and removal.

Go forth and be brave!

SD1984

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No offense but it doesn't seem like you have done your research on how hair systems work. Typically at the two week mark a full removal, clean and reinstall must happen. Pushing it anything past that is iffy.

HairSystemUk

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do think I was maybe a little naive in how long I thought I could get or was a sold a dream of longer holds from the salons than I can actually achieve.

I use ultra hold tapes, are they any others which can give an decent hold for as long as a time?

I’ve seen plenty of videos and sometimes have tired to give myself a talk and build up the confidence but then when it comes to it, I’ve not yet been able to do it. I know I’d be saving a huge amount and do hopefully want to get there one day. I think it’s the fear factor of I don’t want to do anything that damages the unit if I don’t remove the glue properly etc or cause excess shedding and then I’ve damaged it, but with the seepage I may already be doing that.

My stylist keeps feeling me the system will easily last 7+ months and has known them to last 13. Is that a real possibility with hybrid systems?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do think I was maybe a little naive in how long I thought I could get or was a sold a dream of longer holds from the salons than I can actually achieve.

I use ultra hold tapes, are they any others which can give an decent hold for as long as a time?

I’ve seen plenty of videos and sometimes have tired to give myself a talk and build up the confidence but then when it comes to it, I’ve not yet been able to do it. I know I’d be saving a huge amount and do hopefully want to get there one day. I think it’s the fear factor of I don’t want to do anything that damages the unit if I don’t remove the glue properly etc or cause excess shedding and then I’ve damaged it, but with the seepage I may already be doing that.

My stylist keeps feeling me the system will easily last 7+ months and has known them to last 13. Is that a real possibility with hybrid systems?

It doesn't benefit you are the system to keep in on your head long-term. The build-up of adhesive in the lace and worse in the knots is detrimental to the life of a hair system.

I use Walker Tape Co. tapes exclusively for my clients, Ultra Hold as well as Lace Front, and find they work very well.

Maybe in the UK where you don't have hot sun for more than half the year, but in the Middle East, hair systems, especially darker colors (in human hair) don't last 7 months.

I have my own systems that are mostly synthetic (90% grey) and they last quite a while but don't get constant wear, I switch styles every few months. I have one that is 18 months old and needs to be replaced. This IS NOT the norm, it's quite the exception. I also remove and replace weekly. The synthetic hair + double knots. + short haircut results in almost no shedding at all.

I would not tell my clients to expect 7+ months from a system, let alone 13.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My current Swiss Lace hair system is in its 8th month and still looking good, however I've HAD to make it last this long due to the pandemic. I suppose you can get longer life out of a system if it's higher density and if you're very careful, but generally most people don't get more than 6 months. My plan is to keep this system as long as possible until my first custom order arrives, and I can always use concealers to cover any blemishes on my system if it deteriorates too much.

I would detach/reattach every 2 weeks if you're getting those problems. 2 weeks seems about the sweet spot for me. I might experiment with 3 weeks just to see how it goes, though, out of curiosity.

SD1984

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My current Swiss Lace hair system is in its 8th month and still looking good, however I've HAD to make it last this long due to the pandemic. I suppose you can get longer life out of a system if it's higher density and if you're very careful, but generally most people don't get more than 6 months. My plan is to keep this system as long as possible until my first custom order arrives, and I can always use concealers to cover any blemishes on my system if it deteriorates too much.

I would detach/reattach every 2 weeks if you're getting those problems. 2 weeks seems about the sweet spot for me. I might experiment with 3 weeks just to see how it goes, though, out of curiosity.
Wow 8 months for a swiss lace? What company?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
No offense but it doesn't seem like you have done your research on how hair systems work. Typically at the two week mark a full removal, clean and reinstall must happen. Pushing it anything past that is iffy.
A lot of adhesives, at least liquid ones, promise a 4--6 week hold.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
It doesn't benefit you are the system to keep in on your head long-term. The build-up of adhesive in the lace and worse in the knots is detrimental to the life of a hair system.
How exactly is the buildup of old adhesive detrimental to the knots and to the life of a hair system?

HairSystemUk

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies!
I do think realistically having done a little reading on here that the months I’ve been told are quite unrealistic and if I get between 4/6 months that would be very good!
I also do need to attempt some self maintenance. I’m due to have it done at my salon this weekend but then may try myself after.

I’ve read the posts Noah has provided about lining it up and will definitely be using that as that is one of things I’m most concerned with if attempting it myself.

Also are there any tips to get glue out which has seeped through? am I right in thinking conditioner can help other than just c22?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I do think realistically having done a little reading on here that the months I’ve been told are quite unrealistic and if I get between 4/6 months that would be very good!
I also do need to attempt some self maintenance. I’m due to have it done at my salon this weekend but then may try myself after.

I’ve read the posts Noah has provided about lining it up and will definitely be using that as that is one of things I’m most concerned with if attempting it myself.

Also are there any tips to get glue out which has seeped through? am I right in thinking conditioner can help other than just c22?
When it has seeped between the lace holes I think the only solution is a textile cleaning gun, if you want to get it 100% clean. When it's inside the hair, there are many options.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score

It really depends on so many factors, you can't really say exactly.

If the glue has seeped into the lace, and cotton wool does not remove it (dry, no alcohol), a C-22 soak is necessary.

HairSystemUk

My Regimen
Reaction score
To do the soak, how long would you recommend? Also should I fully submerge or just try and the base and little above?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
To do the soak, how long would you recommend? Also should I fully submerge or just try and the base and little above?
I spray the affected area, and I like to leave it overnight (12 hours, if possible).

It's best to wipe off as much as possible once the C-22 emulsifies with the adhesive, when it gets into the hair... it can be a mess to remove. Try rinsing it off with cool water, if possible. If you use shampoo... it emulsifies with the shampoo... and becomes this white GOOP... that is hard to remove.

HairSystemUk

My Regimen
Reaction score
I spray the affected area, and I like to leave it overnight (12 hours, if possible).

It's best to wipe off as much as possible once the C-22 emulsifies with the adhesive, when it gets into the hair... it can be a mess to remove. Try rinsing it off with cool water, if possible. If you use shampoo... it emulsifies with the shampoo... and becomes this white GOOP... that is hard to remove.
Thank you.
I’ll definitely try that. I didn’t realise it needed to be left so long. I thought spraying it and leaving for 10/15 mins would have been enough.
I think some parts are very messy and I never knew the reason for it turning white and GOOPY, I’ll avoid the shampoo until it’s all removed!