tanning

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
isnt there a way to get ur head tanned but not the rest of ur body. i went into a tanning place the other day and i asked that and i was told no.

and also do u have to have a clean shaved head ot get ur head tanned, or can u get a good tan with a #1/#2 buzz cut.

thanks guys.

G

Why don't you just rub self tanner on your head? I think a #1 would be fine.

bubka

Reaction score
the skin needs to actually absorb the UV-B radiation, so yes, the skin needs to be exposed for melanocytes to increase melanin production

there is also an experimental shot that people can take to increase melanin production and produce a tan, though that still experimental

to tan only the head, you need to have only that skin exposed

G

or like i said just use a sunless tanner like neutrogena deep tan. most people won't be able to tell the difference between that and a real uv tan- and it's won't harm your skin either!

jimjohn

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for advice guys. i did go ahead and buy neutrogena moisture rich sunless tanning. was this the right one to get? how often am i supposed to apply this. also, is it ok if i still use minoxidil while i apply this. like minoxidil in the mornings and this at night. thanks.

G

id apply it twice a week. but reall you apply it as often or as little as you want. you'll figure out how often you need to apply it to keep your desired level of color.

cookcubed

Reaction score
If I did this twice a week for a couple months, or whatever, would it be possible for it to stay on for about 2 weeks without having to apply anymore? Or will it just wear off after 3 days regardless?

G

cookcubed said:
If I did this twice a week for a couple months, or whatever, would it be possible for it to stay on for about 2 weeks without having to apply anymore? Or will it just wear off after 3 days regardless?

it'll wear off totally after a week. you can't go 2 weeks without it. it's not a pain. just be careful applying it, you don't want to tan your palms because that would look stupid.

fallenfeather

Reaction score
You could buy a UV facial tanner for about £50 and just tan your head a couple of times a week. It's just that you may look odd with a nice tan head and a pale face and body.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
lol this is interesting.. i never thought about tanning your head... I do own the neutrogena foam that i use to tan my body but i never thought of using it on my head.. i think it would look a bit odd though using it only on your head i dont know never tried.... I also sort of thought about using henna on my head.. i know i got a henna tatoo like a few years back.. that basically dyes your scalp but i have Noooo idea how that would look..henna doesn't fully come off for about a month or so... i'm afraid it might look weird on the head so i dont know or it may look like a permanent couvre or dermatch... the thing with henna is that it starts off looking black then after a week or 2 it turns into a brownish color... so it wouldnt work for just anyone

kriss

Reaction score
I own a tanning salon and there are ways to tan your head and not the body. Unconventional but do-able. Most tanning units will have a control that will turned off the body lamps - some don't. Turn off the body lamps and leave on the facial lamps(face tanning lamps) You lay in the tanning units with only the facial lamps on.

If you donot want to tan your face , you can put a towel over your face (be sure to wear the proctect eyewear under the towel). Most salons actual sale a product to cover the face. It's a thin towel designed to block UV rays. It was created for woman who did not want to exposed their face to UV in fear of wrinkles. Go figure. Apparently these woman would balance out their body tan with makeup on the face.

I agree, when I tan, my hair and sclap looks better. Hair appears thicker.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
to Thinning Sucks... I remeber I tried to get my own henna once to try and do a tatoo to myself instead of paying the tatoo artist like 30 bux to do it.. I had to go all the way out to some indian store snce henna is mainly an Indian thing i think, not sure. It was pretty cheap like 5 bux but it didn't come in a tube though, it came in like a bag of powder you had to mix with water or something and I ended up never using it. I'm sure you can find some henna online somewhere.

If you do try it out, let me know how it goes. Make sure to apply a bit on your skin first to get a good idea of how it's gonna look. Don't put any on your head til after a few days so you know what to expect. And if/when you do put on your head test in a small area first. It's a pasty substance and it should dry in about an hour or so. Then it turns sort of crustlike and the crust comes off. I know it sounds weird but once the crust comes off it's basically like a tatoo that lasts about a month. The only reason I'm not trying it is because I only experience a tad bit of thinning in the front at the hairline which I cover with Toppik spray. I'm afraid of putting something like henna at the hairline since even dermatch and couvre give me trouble in that area. I imagine that IF this works it would work a lot better at the top or back of the head and it really would be the ultimate perfect concealer that you only use once a month and it STAYS ON no matter WHAT (unless you vigorously scrub your head with rubbing alcohol for a long long time). It wouldn't be a cream or make up like couvre or dermatch because it's a skin dye so no worrying about "rubbing off" but just like couvre or dermatch I imagine this needs to be put on an area with SOME hair at least, it cannot be slick bald.

kriss

Reaction score
I've bought henna in a liquid form before. A place in our local mall sells it. I used it for tattoos though. never thought about using it as a concealer. I'd say you could find it on-line pretty easy.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
For those applying fake tan on your head...if you have buzzed hair does this not make your hair appear ginger?

I've tried fake tan before (I know I know but whatever) and I had to be clean shaven facial-hair wise cos otherwise my beard would turn ginger!

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It makes your tan patchy, I tried it on my face once whilst I had a #1 beard, I don't think being very pale helped.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
What about the top of your head? As in put a spray tan on your scalp to tan any bald patches or receding hair?

Otherwise if you buzz your head you'll get a pale scalp and tanned face which looks unnatural.