Tangling, fading and shedding hairpieces

daniel_ev

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been wearing a (dark blonde) hairpiece for two years now. I've started off at a local salon with a caring owner, but also some of the worst stylists you'll ever meet. The hairpieces they used faded pretty quickly, to the point they looked almost greenish, and despite a religious regimen of only using the "Activ" shampoo, conditioner and styling product provided by the salon, they tended to get tangled pretty quickly. At some point I was just done with the terrible cuts and faded, tangled hairpieces, and moved on to a different salon.

The stylist at this new salon is pretty great, but the quality of the hairpieces provided seems to be worse than the first one. I think during the supply issues caused by the covid pandemic they have regularly provided me with hairpieces they'd die on the spot — at one point even one that was originally platinum blonde —, but I remember even the ones that were the right color from the get-go used to fade pretty quickly. As I live in Western Europe and have an office job I'd expect this not to be the case.

In addition to the above, the hairpieces from this new salon shed like crazy. I'm afraid to take a shower, let alone wash my hair, because I know it'll leave me with an even thinner hairpiece. I've complaint about this to the salon, after which they suggested I'd take a v-loop rather than an injected poly skin hairpiece, but so far the results seem only marginally better — if at all.

Having done some reading up on hairpiece quality I am now considering buying a Remy and/or European hair hairpiece of the internet, and asking my stylist to install that the next time Covid allows me to see her, as we're currently in lock down. As I feel like I've tried out a few different options already I'm just wondering whether moving to a different or more expensive type of hairpiece is going to change much, or that the issues I'm experiencing are just inherent to blonde systems. TLDR:

1. Can I expect a Remy or European hair system to not tangle up so much?
2. Can I expect a Remy or European system to not fade at the first ray of sunshine?
3. Can I expect a Remy or European system to not shed so much, and what "knotting" method would you recommend for durability and realism?

4. Are there any online suppliers you'd recommend I turn to?

5. I've been washing my hair on weekly basis: at first with sulfate-free shampoos, later with Wella Professionals ColorMotion+ Protection Shampoo — which does seem to "unfade" my hair system. Regardless of what type of shampoo I use, I can feel my hairpiece tangling while washing. I've been using sulfate-free and Welle Professional conditioner as well, and have also been experimenting with different leave-in conditioners, hair oils, and hair conditioning sprays. If I use any product, I use Hanz de Fuko Hybridized Wax as its water based and rinses out easily in the shower.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong in terms of hairpiece maintenance, or are the issues I'm experiencing inherent to the quality of the hairpieces I've been provided so far?

Thanks for your input!

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had an awful experience with a salon. They washed it so roughly it faded and stripped away something which caused my pieces to tangle quicker.

If you're not doing all the maintenance then you have no idea what is truly going on.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
1. Can I expect a Remy or European hair system to not tangle up so much?
2. Can I expect a Remy or European system to not fade at the first ray of sunshine?
3. Can I expect a Remy or European system to not shed so much, and what "knotting" method would you recommend for durability and realism?

4. Are there any online suppliers you'd recommend I turn to?
From all my knowledge I've gathered over the years "Hair by MHE" or especially Hollywood Lace probably has some of the better quality units.

That being said you can also get a remy hair system from a company like Lavivid and have it be perfectly fine too I'm sure.

NO system should have intense shedding like you've described. That is on the manufacturing end as well as complete lack of quality control. I know Curtis from MHE physically checks each system before he ships it to see if it's a dud.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Daniel

Fading and shedding are obviously different problems. We all have to contend with fading/sun damage, although if you have blond hair it ought to be less of an issue for you than for a dark-haired guy, because natural blond hair has a high degree of colour variation anyway. My tips are (1) only shampoo the piece once a week. The rest of the time when you shower just shampoo your real hair at the back and sides, and just let the warm shower water run through your hairpiece. It's enough. (2) Use a leave-in conditioner with a good strong sunscreen every day when you are going to be out of doors, even if it is only for a short time. (3) Keep an eye on your unit for any brassiness developing, and use a colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner on the unit the next time you shampoo it. (4) If you are going to be in the sun a lot - e.g. a day on the beach - wear a straw hat as much as you can. If you do those things you should be able to keep your pieces looking good for 5-6 months (assuming they were decent quality to start with).

The issues you are having with shedding makes me concerned that the pieces you are being sold are not good quality to begin with. I will send you a PM with some suggestions about suppliers. I will just say this for now: there is an extremely weak correlation in the hair business between price and quality. You can get excellent pieces for reasonable prices, and awful pieces for awful prices. There definitely are differences in the hair quality being used by different suppliers, and it is not easy to tell at first glance, because all the units come with a silicone coating which hides any quality problems. You can only really judge the quality after the piece has been worn and shampooed a few times.

The Remy hair idea is a red herring, at least for men's hairpieces. Remy hair is a real thing - it is hair which is cut off the grower's head and kept in a hank throughout its processing life, with all the hair shafts aligned as they were on the original head. That is important if you are using the hair for a full woman's long wig, or for hair extensions, because the hair will feel silkier and tangle less if the hair shafts are all aligned with the cuticle in their original direction. But for a man's hairpiece that doesn't work, because each hair is knotted onto the base in the middle, and actually creates two hairs on the hairpiece, one with the cuticle going in the opposite direction from the other. So buying Remy hair for a man's hairpiece is a waste of money.

European hair is a higher quality option if you are a European. The standard option is Indian hair which is processed to make it feel more like European hair. It's a pretty good option, but not quite as good as real European hair. However real European hair is very expensive. I have bought it a few times, and it more than tripled the cost of my piece. I concluded that it was not worth the extra money, but if you have money to spare it's worth trying, to reach your own conclusion about that.

Noah

daniel_ev

Reaction score
Thanks very much all; I'll make sure to check out the suppliers Noah mentioned in his PM.

On Remy hair: I understand that when hair is attached to the system's base using a V-loop there is no benefit in having cuticle aligned hair. But is there also no benefit when the hair is attached to the base using the flat or single knot injection method, which I believe would allow all hairs to maintain their original cuticle alignment? Or should blonde, non-Remy, V-looped hair systems just not tangle so much in the first place, and am I looking for a solution for a problem caused by inferior product quality rather than intrinsic product characteristics?

On European hair: my thinking was that as the hair used in the systems I got in the past was Indian, died in a factory and then in some cases died again by my local stylist, moving to European hair would help in minimizing shedding, fading, and tangling, as the hair would be less porous. Or am I again looking to solve something that shouldn't be an issue in the first place?

Noah

Reaction score
Daniel, that's an interesting question about injected pieces, and I don't know the answer. I nearly always go for lace myself. Maybe @BaldBearded will know or can find out. But in any event I think your problem is mainly being caused by over-processed dried out hair. Tangling is not unknown on any hairpiece, but I don't think most guys have the same level of problem with it that you are having. So yes, I think it shouldn't be such an issue in the first place. European hair should be a luxury upgrade, not a necessity.

I definitely think dyeing the hair a second time is bound to dry it out and shorten its life, particularly if the second dyeing involves bleaching the hair. Far better to get the colour you actually want from the manufacturer.

Noah

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
My tips are (1) only shampoo the piece once a week. The rest of the time when you shower just shampoo your real hair at the back and sides, and just let the warm shower water run through your hairpiece. It's enough. (2) Use a leave-in conditioner with a good strong sunscreen every day when you are going to be out of doors, even if it is only for a short time. (3) Keep an eye on your unit for any brassiness developing, and use a colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner on the unit the next time you shampoo it. (4) If you are going to be in the sun a lot - e.g. a day on the beach - wear a straw hat as much as you can.
Noah, what's your go-to leave in conditioner with sunscreen?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tangling has everything to do with the quality of the hair. A higher-quality Remy hair that has not been overly processed is a good start. The lighter the hair color, the more that the original hair has been stripped down. Keeping this hair in top condition from day 1 is key.

Shedding can be caused by two reasons, knots coming loose or breaking above the knot. The stronger the knot, the less likely it will shed. The less processed the hair, the less likely it will break about the knot.

Hair type. European hair only works for you if it's "virgin" hair, in your color. If you buy a system that claims to have "European" hair but was died to your color, you are worse off, as you are stripping hair that is finer in the first place and winds up being weaker.

Better quality hair, which is properly processed should not fade as quickly.

V-looped hair will shed quicker than injected or properly knotted hair.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh...

I can't stress enough. A daily spray, leave-in conditioner with UV protection is a MUST to keep the hair in good condition.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Hi Daniel

Fading and shedding are obviously different problems. We all have to contend with fading/sun damage, although if you have blond hair it ought to be less of an issue for you than for a dark-haired guy, because natural blond hair has a high degree of colour variation anyway. My tips are (1) only shampoo the piece once a week. The rest of the time when you shower just shampoo your real hair at the back and sides, and just let the warm shower water run through your hairpiece. It's enough. (2) Use a leave-in conditioner with a good strong sunscreen every day when you are going to be out of doors, even if it is only for a short time. (3) Keep an eye on your unit for any brassiness developing, and use a colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner on the unit the next time you shampoo it. (4) If you are going to be in the sun a lot - e.g. a day on the beach - wear a straw hat as much as you can. If you do those things you should be able to keep your pieces looking good for 5-6 months (assuming they were decent quality to start with).

The issues you are having with shedding makes me concerned that the pieces you are being sold are not good quality to begin with. I will send you a PM with some suggestions about suppliers. I will just say this for now: there is an extremely weak correlation in the hair business between price and quality. You can get excellent pieces for reasonable prices, and awful pieces for awful prices. There definitely are differences in the hair quality being used by different suppliers, and it is not easy to tell at first glance, because all the units come with a silicone coating which hides any quality problems. You can only really judge the quality after the piece has been worn and shampooed a few times.

The Remy hair idea is a red herring, at least for men's hairpieces. Remy hair is a real thing - it is hair which is cut off the grower's head and kept in a hank throughout its processing life, with all the hair shafts aligned as they were on the original head. That is important if you are using the hair for a full woman's long wig, or for hair extensions, because the hair will feel silkier and tangle less if the hair shafts are all aligned with the cuticle in their original direction. But for a man's hairpiece that doesn't work, because each hair is knotted onto the base in the middle, and actually creates two hairs on the hairpiece, one with the cuticle going in the opposite direction from the other. So buying Remy hair for a man's hairpiece is a waste of money.

European hair is a higher quality option if you are a European. The standard option is Indian hair which is processed to make it feel more like European hair. It's a pretty good option, but not quite as good as real European hair. However real European hair is very expensive. I have bought it a few times, and it more than tripled the cost of my piece. I concluded that it was not worth the extra money, but if you have money to spare it's worth trying, to reach your own conclusion about that.

Noah
And when not going out you think daily leave-in conditioner is not required? Or when you wear a hat or when it's dark.

George Hen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And when not going out you think daily leave-in conditioner is not required? Or when you wear a hat or when it's dark.
I don’t use a daily conditioner and my systems have good longevity, mostly because I’m very careful in other ways. I brush carefully morning and night to prevent tangles, only shampoo the unit when I rebond and always wear a hat when I go outside. Those things have all added up well with my current unit, which is 5 months old and in great shape

I live in the uk though so sunlight isn’t much of an issue. I notice my units have better longevity in the winters here simply due to the lack of sunlight and heat.

I do use Aussie’s miracle oil maybe once a week in the hair, usually when I notice that the hair is drying a bit too much and becoming more difficult to brush. I’m always on the lookout for something better.

I personally believe less is more when it comes to products for hair systems. If I lived in a sunnier or warmer climate i know it’d be different and I’d be using a daily UV spray but as little as possible.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh...

I can't stress enough. A daily spray, leave-in conditioner with UV protection is a MUST to keep the hair in good condition.
What's your go to leave in with UV spray?

always wear a hat when I go outside.
This is my biggest issue though when I get a system. Living in fear anytime I go out on a super hot day. I really don't want to live like that anytime I go to the beach, a friends backyard bbq, block party, whatever it might be.

I don't mind wearing hats but to think I really always have to wear one if i'm in the sun long term sucks. I like giving my head time to breath some days. Then I've also heard that even if you have a hat on long term in a hot day it can still melt the glue bc it still gets hot under there obviously.

Noah

Reaction score
This is the conditioner / sunscreen I am using currently, which I really like. It's not a spray, but I dilute it in the palm of my hand with argan oil before applying it.

You don't always have to wear a hat, but you have to accept that the more you expose your system to strong sunlight the more frequently you will have to replace it. The sun is the biggest factor in accelerating the hair drying out and looking sub-optimal. That said, it is crucial that you wear the system and not the other way around. If leading the life you want means that you have to replace your system every 2 months, and you have the money to do that, then have at it.

Hairpiece glue does not melt in the sun. That is just a comedy trope with no basis in reality

. IMG_3684.PNG

Fanjeera

Reaction score
This is the conditioner / sunscreen I am using currently, which I really like. It's not a spray, but I dilute it in the palm of my hand with argan oil before applying it.

You don't always have to wear a hat, but you have to accept that the more you expose your system to strong sunlight the more frequently you will have to replace it. The sun is the biggest factor in accelerating the hair drying out and looking sub-optimal. That said, it is crucial that you wear the system and not the other way around. If leading the life you want means that you have to replace your system every 2 months, and you have the money to do that, then have at it.

Hairpiece glue does not melt in the sun. That is just a comedy trope with no basis in reality

.View attachment 153236
What about people living in cold climates? From oct to mid april it's safe to say noone gets any sunlight where I'm living. But as it's cold, hats are on anyway. Would you recommend daily leave-in for them as well? The sunscreen is in them anyway. Or maybe only when it starts to look dry?

daniel_ev

Reaction score

.View attachment 153236
So do I understand correctly that you use a leave-in conditioner as well as argan oil on a daily basis? And, second, that when properly taken care of one should be able to get more than two months out of a EUR/USD 300 system?

Noah

Reaction score
Conditioner/sunscreen definitely. I wouldn't say the argan oil is really necessary. The sunscreen is the important thing. Even in a cold country the sun is the main thing that fritzes your hair. That plus over-washing it.

You should be able to get 4-6 months out of a decent quality unit if you look after it.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's your go to leave in with UV spray?

This is my biggest issue though when I get a system. Living in fear anytime I go out on a super hot day. I really don't want to live like that anytime I go to the beach, a friends backyard bbq, block party, whatever it might be.

I don't mind wearing hats but to think I really always have to wear one if i'm in the sun long term sucks. I like giving my head time to breath some days. Then I've also heard that even if you have a hat on long term in a hot day it can still melt the glue bc it still gets hot under there obviously.

I use BC Bonacaure Sunprotect, from Schwarzkopf, but it appears to only be available in Spain and the UK, and only in the summertime, so I stock up.

I used the spray until I got wise and realized I was paying a lot of $$$ for water. I use the cream, and dilute it and put that into a spray bottle. I use a 5x1 dilution so a 100ml bottle gives me 2litres of spray... that lasts more than an entire year.

It's the only thing I ever used... I can't find ANYTHING in Israel that has UV protection (which makes no sense... at all).

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

.View attachment 153236
Is it thick enough to use it as a type of hair styling product as well? I would love to find a thick enough conditioner lotion that can also be used like a pomade.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score

It's hard to agree with this when I've read about and watched many YouTubers talk about how it can happen.

(First 5 1/2 minutes)

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I don’t use a daily conditioner and my systems have good longevity, mostly because I’m very careful in other ways. I brush carefully morning and night to prevent tangles, only shampoo the unit when I rebond and always wear a hat when I go outside. Those things have all added up well with my current unit, which is 5 months old and in great shape

I live in the uk though so sunlight isn’t much of an issue. I notice my units have better longevity in the winters here simply due to the lack of sunlight and heat.

I do use Aussie’s miracle oil maybe once a week in the hair, usually when I notice that the hair is drying a bit too much and becoming more difficult to brush. I’m always on the lookout for something better.

I personally believe less is more when it comes to products for hair systems. If I lived in a sunnier or warmer climate i know it’d be different and I’d be using a daily UV spray but as little as possible.
Alright, I'm gonna try not using daily leave-in conditioner. I will wash with a coloring shampoo once a week and with just water and conditioner (a color depositing one, if it looks like it needs it (Back2natural)) another time of the week. I love how empty my bathroom counter already looks with just the water spray bottle.