Taking The Plunge- Going Buzzed- Need Feedback

Michael Storm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi I’m looking for some advice.

This is my story: I am 33 yrs old and have been receding at my temples since I was 22. About 4 years ago I began thinning noticeably on my crown. At this point I kicked it into high gear with rogaine and regenepure. The hair actually grew back some, but then I began shedding again, very rapidly, 2 years ago. I added finasteride to my regimen, and that bought me another year I guess. I started using a concealer but that wasn't sustainable because I'm in the water a lot so people would soon notice when i am and am not wearing it.

I am a solid NW3 now and it reached the point in my opinion where I feel like I should experiment with the buzzed look. Problem is... even though I'm athletic my face is not attractive- big nose, thin face, weak features, and now.. balding!

I want to deal with it [bald] head on! I always own everything my poor genetics has thrown at me and this is no different.

So here's the starting point. I buzzed my head evenly with a clipper at 1+ length. My beard is trimmed at a guardless length and is edged with the razor just under the jawline. Is there any improvements I can make? I hardly recognize myself, so I don’t think I can see if what i have done makes any sense. I can grow a thick and even beard. Should it be any longer to hide my weak jawline? No beard at all? What about adding glasses? Should I shave my head completely? I'm trying to compensate for the weak forehead and large schnoz that is now accentuated by the buzz cut. I used to use mid to long length hair to distract from the nose, but alas... Regrowing the hair is not an option - I'm going to have to cross this bridge eventually anyway. Trying to maximum this length as much as possible.

Don't bother with criticisms and insults. I know I'm no Jason Statham. Looking for constructive feedback please...

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0437.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 827
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 901

baldboys

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its looking good. And with that crown there wasnt really any more options. Every man needs to know when the fight is over and its acceptance time. Better walking around shaved than with a huge baldspot that just screams denial. I think you are good, but id keep on finasteride if no sides in order to keep that hairline and a more sthetic pleasant look.

the smoking baby

Established Member
Reaction score
The way you have it now is probably the best look for you. Having the beard really helps and, personally speaking, it's the right length. A longer beard length looks better for some but that length seems to work best for you. Glasses are optional but the frame you choose will either accentuate the facial features or soften them. So long as you can maintain your temples and mid-scalp, there is no reason to buzz the hair more. You're lucky since you have little loss in the front so it frames the face. Since you're 33, the full hairloss pattern is probably not yet defined, meaning that you will still likely get recession in the front. It will be a matter of how much it thins and when. If you're lucky, you will only suffer crown loss and not much more. By the time you're in your 40's, you can decide if you want a transplant or, perhaps, better treatments will have finally arrived and you can improve the crown without going the surgery route.

Good luck!

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

This is my story: I am 33 yrs old and have been receding at my temples since I was 22. About 4 years ago I began thinning noticeably on my crown. At this point I kicked it into high gear with rogaine and regenepure. The hair actually grew back some, but then I began shedding again, very rapidly, 2 years ago. I added finasteride to my regimen, and that bought me another year I guess. I started using a concealer but that wasn't sustainable because I'm in the water a lot so people would soon notice when i am and am not wearing it.

I am a solid NW3 now and it reached the point in my opinion where I feel like I should experiment with the buzzed look. Problem is... even though I'm athletic my face is not attractive- big nose, thin face, weak features, and now.. balding!

I want to deal with it [bald] head on! I always own everything my poor genetics has thrown at me and this is no different.

So here's the starting point. I buzzed my head evenly with a clipper at 1+ length. My beard is trimmed at a guardless length and is edged with the razor just under the jawline. Is there any improvements I can make? I hardly recognize myself, so I don’t think I can see if what i have done makes any sense. I can grow a thick and even beard. Should it be any longer to hide my weak jawline? No beard at all? What about adding glasses? Should I shave my head completely? I'm trying to compensate for the weak forehead and large schnoz that is now accentuated by the buzz cut. I used to use mid to long length hair to distract from the nose, but alas... Regrowing the hair is not an option - I'm going to have to cross this bridge eventually anyway. Trying to maximum this length as much as possible.

Don't bother with criticisms and insults. I know I'm no Jason Statham. Looking for constructive feedback please...

Thanks!

Keep your hair at that length. Keep the facial hair. You don't want the boring look.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

Thanks!
I think your new style looks great. Keep us informed on what feedback you get in person with your peers.

Michael Storm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far! My wife is shocked I did it, but she can't say one way or the other if she likes it yet. i went for a mtn bike ride tonight and aside from it being a lot cooler under my lid, it was nice not to worry about helmet hair or whether my concealer was going to be screwed up.

Since you're 33, the full hairloss pattern is probably not yet defined, meaning that you will still likely get recession in the front. It will be a matter of how much it thins and when. If you're lucky, you will only suffer crown loss and not much more. By the time you're in your 40's, you can decide if you want a transplant or, perhaps, better treatments will have finally arrived and you can improve the crown without going the surgery route.

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure my hair is tracking like my uncle's (mother's side) in which case the crown won't get much worse, but the temples will recede toward the center a little more. He's 63 so that's only a little bit more loss in 30 years time. I really hope that's the case!

Maybe it's just the light, but it looks like you've got a big slick bald crown. Given that, I agree this is your only real option. It sucks, but at least it works for you.

Yea you're right. I'm not sure what to do about that yet. It's pretty matte when I get out of the shower, but the rogaine seems to leave an oily film.

I will continue the regimen, including the finasteride. I don't know if they are helping, but I'm afraid to stop.. I haven't noticed any side effects of the finasteride either.

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have excellent features for that look. I think you could pull off guardless all over tbh.

Michael Storm

My Regimen
Reaction score
DAC90A85-638B-4D4C-B84C-7725F94D6822.jpeg

Well, time for an update after two years of rocking the buzzed look. My hairline actually hasn’t receded much further than it was before, but my crown has thinned significantly to the point where there are about 2 inches where there’s almost no hair at all. Pretty much smooth back there. I find myself touching it because it feels so smooth... whatever. The rest of the top has become so diffuse that even in the moderate sunlight it almost looks like it’s not there. I’m disappointed at how quickly the loss is accelerated the last 2 years, despite regularly using finasteride, minoxidil and ketoconazole. At this point I feel there’s no other option than to razor shave it to avoid looking older by the month. If I do, should I let the beard grow out more? Or keep the same? In this picture I haven’t trimmed it much the last week. Thanks in advance for your advice...

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man I say grow beard just slightly longer. Honestly consider yourself lucky as most on here would like to have your appearance with a shaved head.

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep, I would full shave the scalp for a younger look. Luckily you have a great beard and well-shaped head. Looks good in my opinion.

Michael Storm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I went full shave today and I love it! I've received mixed opinions so far (my wife kind of misses the hair as crappy as it looked), but mostly positive.

IMG_2413.jpg

INT

Reaction score
Looks pretty good actually. If you feel you have weak features, try to lower the neckline of your beard a bit. There are some good tutorials on youtube about 'strenghtening' your jawline.