Taking Propecia for 11 years

cannoli38

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the possible long term side effects of taking Propecia for this long are? I have noticed that for some years I have had very little motivation. I'm wondering if my testosterone level is too low.
Also, does anyone know whether breast growth is rather common or not as a side effect?

thanks,

Dave

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If you have been taking finasteride for 11 years without growing tits then I would guess you are pretty safe :dunno:

phish

Established Member
Reaction score
11 years is longest ive seen, hows your hair holded up, better then started, same or worse.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Bubka, in your 8 years of use, when do you see the best results? Also do you have some months that the hair seems to thin out more and then it bounces back? Or is it just a steady process?

bubka

Reaction score
my results really started at about the 4 month to maybe 12 months after that, so 16 months...

Every once in a while I will think I am shedding a bit, but it usually goes away, I have really learned to not worry about it. I would say that I have maintained all that I have regrown, and definitely above my baseline, I was an good responder.

cha11enge

Reaction score
That's good for u. Most people experience side effects. It was shocking to see a guy consuming propecia. Managed to stop the hairloss process, but in the process, at least from external point of view, he developed female characteristics...

sh*t......... And this is due to long term consumption of propecia......

bubka

Reaction score
cha11enge said:
Most people experience side effects. It was shocking to see a guy consuming propecia. Managed to stop the hairloss process, but in the process, at least from external point of view, he developed female characteristics...

s***......... And this is due to long term consumption of propecia......
That's weird considering all studies, and even a long term study showed side effects to be less than 2% but I guess you consider that number to be "most people" = 2%

cha11enge

Reaction score
OKay. Probably. Was worried about this fact. By the way, how long was the long term study? 5 years?

It was stated that long term consumption of propecia will not cause defects to babies if one intend to make one. Anyone tried making babies during medication of propecia?

bubka

Reaction score
It has NOTHING to do with the father. It can causes underdevelopment of the male genitals of the fetus if a women takes finasteride. However, this was done by giving it to pregnant female monkeys with very high dosages in the lab.

Cassin

Reaction score
cha11enge said:
OKay. Probably. Was worried about this fact. By the way, how long was the long term study? 5 years?

It was stated that long term consumption of propecia will not cause defects to babies if one intend to make one. Anyone tried making babies during medication of propecia?

You really need to read some studies...

Cassin

Reaction score
cannoli38 said:
Does anyone know what the possible long term side effects of taking Propecia for this long are? I have noticed that for some years I have had very little motivation. I'm wondering if my testosterone level is too low.
Also, does anyone know whether breast growth is rather common or not as a side effect?

thanks,

Dave

why do you think that has to do with propecia and not other factors in your life?

Coincidentally my years on propecia have been the most productive.

5 1/2 years for me and like bubka, I'm in it for the long haul.

Pedro88

Reaction score
More than 8 years on Propecia. A reduction on semen volume in the first 5 years. I discontinued the use of Propecia (to conceive a child) for one year and since than the semen volume is normal. Fortunately for me, no side effects.

FlashDance

Established Member
Reaction score
I think people incorrectly associate loss of motivation with Propecia, when it should more accurately be associated with male pattern baldness and the depression that comes with it. This is compounded by the realization that Propecia isn't the savior to grow all your hair back and you're never probably going to have the hair you used to have at your peak years. A lot of people, myself included, hope they're the one reponder who will be the exception at achieving great results. You soon realize that it isn't that good, and this can take some time to adjust to.

Chances are, you'd still be less motivated without Propecia as a result of adjusting to a life with less hair. Hopefully you get over the shock of your changing mane and learn you can still live life as well as anyone else.