Taking My System Off Today For Good

Josh mw

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm glad i tried it! But for me the years it gave me back in looks it's taking away in quality of life. We just had 2 back to back 100+ degree day's and I spent more time fixing the hairline than I did doing anything else. Going to massage I have to stress the entire time it's going to lift, I can't enjoy my hot showers the way I always have because my bathroom gets too humid, I envy those of you that seem to have been able to adapt your lives with your system, but for me it just seems to be taking too much away from mine that I love and it's not worth it. So $800 down the drain and a lesson learned!

Mantis Toboggan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey josh

Im on the fence about getting a hair system and kinda was following your story. The reasons you listed seem to be fairly common complaints, was there any other things you didnt like about the hair system?

Josh mw

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey josh

Im on the fence about getting a hair system and kinda was following your story. The reasons you listed seem to be fairly common complaints, was there any other things you didnt like about the hair system?
HONESTLY, I was happy with the results, I just didn't like the upkeep and constantly being afraid to live life. Perhaps the Summer months was the worst time to start but this is New England we get hot months and weather.

Carl McSwankie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, giving up way to soon dude. Look at baldbearded living in the hot climates of Israel and all the crap going on there and yet he still wearing. I agree you should not have tried it in the summer, but I think your giving up way too fast. I say wait till the fall and try again. It will be better weather for a first time hair wearer.

Look you have to do what makes you happy. However you will find fall and winter will be better and easier to learn. Plus then you can experiment with different tapes and glues.

Always do what makes you happy though, but I think give it one more try, but wait till the fall like November when the weather and humidity are not as bad. I think you will find it much better and easier to maintain and then experiment with different tapes and glues so next summer will not be so bad.

Anyway whatever choice you make know it's what you feel most happy with.

Good luck but I feel that you should try it one more time this fall.

Anyway that is just my opinion always do what you want and good luck.

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
I’m guessing Josh just doesn’t have the hunger to have his hair back that some of us have, which let’s face it, is a healthier place to be. He looks fine with a buzzed head, to judge from his old avatar, and he has a supportive partner who is presumably OK either way. For me, going bald in my young years when all my peer group had thick heads of hair was a gut-wrenching experience which I have never entirely got over. That is what fuels guys like us to resort to solutions that the rest of humanity thinks are extreme, such as surgery, endocrine-altering drugs, head tattooing, or hairpieces.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man! I definitely think it had a lot to do with you having a thin skin system. Not sure why they would even recommend it at your salon in such hot climate.

Hey at least you can say you tried!

Carl McSwankie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man! I definitely think it had a lot to do with you having a thin skin system. Not sure why they would even recommend it at your salon in such hot climate.

Hey at least you can say you tried!

Smart statement matt0135 yeah, a thin skin system in this kind of heat is not good for beginners. Again Josh good luck and know your decision is always the right one. However my opinion is wait till the fall when the weather is cooler and try again

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Josh. I go out in all sorts of heat, it was 104ºF waiting for the bus, no shade, and no hat... and with a lace base, and tape, I had no problems. I have had no issues with massage, and with a non-exposed hairline, I don't have re-dos.

But if the anxiety of it is making it that much of a problem, I understand, I do think that maybe starting with skin, was the issue. Unfortunately, you went to a salon that cared more about doing things the way they wanted, as opposed to what is good for the customer. I see that every day, here in Israel.

Good luck, in whatever you decide to do.

Steve

Josh mw

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m guessing Josh just doesn’t have the hunger to have his hair back that some of us have, which let’s face it, is a healthier place to be. He looks fine with a buzzed head, to judge from his old avatar, and he has a supportive partner who is presumably OK either way. For me, going bald in my young years when all my peer group had thick heads of hair was a gut-wrenching experience which I have never entirely got over. That is what fuels guys like us to resort to solutions that the rest of humanity thinks are extreme, such as surgery, endocrine-altering drugs, head tattooing, or hairpieces.
ACTUALLY, I didn't have the support from my partner. In fact he asked me for a divorce 2 days ago, so right now I need to focus on trying to save my marriage I don't have time to worry about a hair system flapping in the wind because it's lifting all over the place. For me I was comfortable being bald, I had been for a very long time, and most of the people around me only knew me this way. For me the decision to get a system was purely to try it and see if I'd like having hair again. I did but sadly there were more days I regretted it than ones I was happy I did it. It took me years to get this comfortable in my own skin. For years I had sex with ball caps on and would go on dates only to places appropriate to wear them. The system made me afraid to do things I enjoy doing every day like gardening and yard work. Taking nice hot showers. ETC.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wearing hair is supposed to make your life better, not worse.

If it doesn't work for you, don't do it!

All the best, I hope things work out.

Hugs!

Steve

Josh mw

My Regimen
Reaction score

FYI much like you I started balding and thinning back in my early 20's. At the time I wasn't in the car business where bald heads were the norm, I was actually a makeup artist and worked in an industry where looks were everything! I was devastated. I spent thousands of dollars, and years doing everything I could to keep it and make it look like I had more hair than I did. I spent years and several relationships so self conscious that it ruined many of them. It took me the better part of two decades to learn to love myself and have the confidence I have today. The pic you see in my avatar took me 8 pics before it to get one I was comfortable and confident sharing. 8! I took another 3 in 12 days I felt comfortable sharing. I'm sure if I had tried another system, or perhaps a salon that took time to get to know my lifestyle or 100 other options I would have been happier. But for me I don't have the energy right now to keep trying and throwing countless money out the window to find the "right fit" for me when the rest of my life is flipped upside down right now.

Noah

Reaction score
Yes Josh; really wish you all the best in getting your life together. My comments above were clearly wide of the mark - you seem very at ease in your own skin, but I was wrong to make casual assumptions about how you got there. You see like a nice guy, so I am rooting for you.

Josh mw

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes Josh; really wish you all the best in getting your life together. My comments above were clearly wide of the mark - you seem very at ease in your own skin, but I was wrong to make casual assumptions about how you got there. You see like a nice guy, so I am rooting for you.
Thank you, i'm glad you understand that I do know how you feel and so many others! One thing I've learned through this is it pisses me off how there aren't more options easily found for people that have lost their hair. It's almost as though it's a hush, hush, industry. More salons should offer solutions for everyone that have lost their hair and it should be a lot more affordable for everyone! If someone loses their hair for medical reasons there are grants and insurance that help cover cost of wigs yet if it's genetic even though it may affect someones mental state there's nothing. My best to you all, I hope you all continue your happiness with your journeys.

Carl McSwankie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good point, but there are plenty of bald people in the world and not all of them are considering getting a hair system. I remember reading a poll on hairlosscure2020 website and many bald men say they would never consider wearing a hair system.

I even heard old bald friends of mine who do not understand why I would consider getting a hair system, there happy they went bald. It saves them money on haircuts, seriously. Yes some people are bothered by it badly, and some do not give a rats behind. Me I wanted hair, but some people actually like being bald. I think most of the people on this site were guys who were very good looking when they had hair and when they lost it, they lost what really made them like being themselves. Not all but most I say. They liked being enveyed by other less attractive and now that they lost there hair they feel that the envy they had is gone now. To me I say, what wrong with liking yourself and liking the way you looked with hair. Heck I was handsome with hair and I only live once I want to keep it that way. Anyway I guess we will not being seeing you around so good luck and I hope your marriage will be mended, the bottom line is we all want what good for everyone on here. Being happy means being healthy and enjoying life. I enjoy wearing a hair system. Anyway good luck

Laconian

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on the brink of giving up myself when I had an exposed hairline but then I decided to give it one more shot and went with a short hairstyle and unexposed hairline. Now I seriously can't imagine going back to bald life. Women of all ages have suddenly become super friendly and are actually flirting with me again. It's a great feeling.

Try an unexposed hairline before you give up. It just might work for you as well.

Jalal

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm glad i tried it! But for me the years it gave me back in looks it's taking away in quality of life. We just had 2 back to back 100+ degree day's and I spent more time fixing the hairline than I did doing anything else. Going to massage I have to stress the entire time it's going to lift, I can't enjoy my hot showers the way I always have because my bathroom gets too humid, I envy those of you that seem to have been able to adapt your lives with your system, but for me it just seems to be taking too much away from mine that I love and it's not worth it. So $800 down the drain and a lesson learned!

I am going through a similar phase at the moment, as I had my first system installed last Saturday. The heat did not make it easier and I often have the hairline and the edge in the back lifting and and filled with glue residuals. Over the last few days, that made me continuously question having the hair piece.

However, when I read posts from people in this forum, it makes me realise that most probably the bonding did not work perfectly (not waiting long enough between the glue application and the system installation, going to gym less than 24h after the installation etc.). I had to redo the back side myself (from the crown to the back edge) after 2 days! while having 0 experience on the matter, so you can imagine the anxiety.
On the positive side, the hair is amazing, i'm delighted with the look and as a "secondary" effect, girls are more receptive/open and you get the feeling that when there is eye contact, their thoughts are less "hmm what does this guy want, I prefer he doesn't talk to me even if he might be interesting" and more "hmm I hope he's going to speak to me?? just say anything".

I'm certain it will be much less of a hassle in the near future, as I get used to use/maintain it, and I'm confident at the next refit it will be much better because I will make sure the bonding is done as it should be.

My current daily state of mind is :
1- *touches hairline with fingers*, omg please tell me it's not lifting again
2- *looking at the mirror from distance*, oh yeah that's what I like to see *wink wink*
3- *touching backside*, omg is it lifting?? what happens if there is a strong wind??
=> so a mix of enjoyment and anxiety 50-50

I think when things are done properly, the state of mind is -almost- free from 1 and 3, and you almost don't think about it. You only think of the steps you need to do when you need to maintain it, just like you need to think to use brush/toothpaste to clean your teeth : it becomes a simple routine, fully mastered, that is well inserted in your life, which doesn't bring any stress and which you know improves your being.

All in all, I say give it another go and make sure the bonding is done correctly next time and enjoy your hair!

Josh mw

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am going through a similar phase at the moment, as I had my first system installed last Saturday. The heat did not make it easier and I often have the hairline and the edge in the back lifting and and filled with glue residuals. Over the last few days, that made me continuously question having the hair piece.

However, when I read posts from people in this forum, it makes me realise that most probably the bonding did not work perfectly (not waiting long enough between the glue application and the system installation, going to gym less than 24h after the installation etc.). I had to redo the back side myself (from the crown to the back edge) after 2 days! while having 0 experience on the matter, so you can imagine the anxiety.
On the positive side, the hair is amazing, i'm delighted with the look and as a "secondary" effect, girls are more receptive/open and you get the feeling that when there is eye contact, their thoughts are less "hmm what does this guy want, I prefer he doesn't talk to me even if he might be interesting" and more "hmm I hope he's going to speak to me?? just say anything".

I'm certain it will be much less of a hassle in the near future, as I get used to use/maintain it, and I'm confident at the next refit it will be much better because I will make sure the bonding is done as it should be.

My current daily state of mind is :
1- *touches hairline with fingers*, omg please tell me it's not lifting again
2- *looking at the mirror from distance*, oh yeah that's what I like to see *wink wink*
3- *touching backside*, omg is it lifting?? what happens if there is a strong wind??
=> so a mix of enjoyment and anxiety 50-50

I think when things are done properly, the state of mind is -almost- free from 1 and 3, and you almost don't think about it. You only think of the steps you need to do when you need to maintain it, just like you need to think to use brush/toothpaste to clean your teeth : it becomes a simple routine, fully mastered, that is well inserted in your life, which doesn't bring any stress and which you know improves your being.

All in all, I say give it another go and make sure the bonding is done correctly next time and enjoy your hair!
I'm glad to hear you're working through it. I'll be honest its funny i was bald so long and only had hair for 12 days but still catch myself checking to see if it's lifting even though it's not there. I'm even sleeping better now because i'm not so hyper aware of checking throughout the night to be sure it didn't end up on my pillowcase or stuck to my headboard. I wish you all the luck and continued success.