Taking Finasteride is the biggest regret of my life

Xenophon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's stupid to nuke DHT in the body for what amounts to a very modest cessation of hair loss. DHT is not even the reason people lose their hair in the first place. 'Going bald' is not an an inherent problem with androgens. It makes no sense that DHT is known to cause hair growth on the arms and face but somehow it kills hair on the skull. And it makes no sense that 16 year olds with the highest androgen levels in their lives also have the most hair they'll ever have, and as you slowly age and lose androgens, you also lose hair. The same person who's a candidate to 'benefit' from finasteride — someone with moderate hairloss — is also a candidate for FUE surgery. Spending 8k on that is well worth avoiding the risk profile of finasteride, and is far more effective.

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's stupid to nuke DHT in the body for what amounts to a very modest cessation of hair loss. DHT is not even the reason people lose their hair in the first place. 'Going bald' is not an an inherent problem with androgens. It makes no sense that DHT is known to cause hair growth on the arms and face but somehow it kills hair on the skull. And it makes no sense that 16 year olds with the highest androgen levels in their lives also have the most hair they'll ever have, and as you slowly age and lose androgens, you also lose hair. The same person who's a candidate to 'benefit' from finasteride — someone with moderate hairloss — is also a candidate for FUE surgery. Spending 8k on that is well worth avoiding the risk profile of finasteride, and is far more effective.
I agree and would add the most dangerous thing about this forum and website are those users advising teenagers to jump straight onto finasteride minoxodil and nizoral.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
The same person who's a candidate to 'benefit' from finasteride — someone with moderate hairloss — is also a candidate for FUE surgery. Spending 8k on that is well worth avoiding the risk profile of finasteride, and is far more effective.
How is spending 8k on FUE surgery in your early 20's going to help, if you are destined to continue balding into a Norwood 5 pattern by your late 30's?

Surely if someone can avoid surgery by not becoming a Norwood 5+ in the first place, then that would be an even more prudent choice to make.

Last edited:

Xenophon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How is spending 8k on FUE surgery in your early 20's going to help you, if you are destined to continue balding into a Norwood 5 pattern by your late 30's?

Surely if someone can avoid surgery by not becoming a Norwood 5+ in the first place, then that would be an even more prudent choice to make.

Well if you get a surgery when at a 2-3 and you have a good feel for where it's destined to go without any treatment — that you're at least not gonna be like Captain Picard — it's a good option to just get surgery and then work on maintaining the mid and the crown. Most guys let it get to about a 2 before they even stop denying it's happening, and then comes the dietary stuff and topicals and needling, and the possibility of surgery.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well if you get a surgery when at a 2-3 and you have a good feel for where it's destined to go without any treatment — that you're at least not gonna be like Captain Picard — it's a good option to just get surgery and then work on maintaining the mid and the crown. Most guys let it get to about a 2 before they even stop denying it's happening, and then comes the dietary stuff and topicals and needling, and the possibility of surgery.
Lol...........Nobody who is balding in their early 20's ''has a good feel for where it's destined to go without any treatment'' .

If people follow your advice they are running the risk of needing 9000+ grafts by the time they are 40.

My question still stands, if the people who respond can avoid all of that by simply taking a pill everyday, then surely that is a more prudent choice.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed with @20YearsOnFin

The only “cure” is maintenance and running out of graphs to transplant is not sustainable or cost effective.

There’s also a reason most ethical surgeons want you on an AA prior to surgery. They don’t want to take your money and ruin their reputation because you decided to get a hair transplant at 25 at a NW3. By the time your recipient area grows in you’ve likely lost density.

Finasteride is very affordable in the U.S. 15$ for a 3 month supply, amounting to $1200 in 20 years. If you’re a proactive transplant person with aggressive hairloss its very easy to spend 20,000 on transplants and still be left without hair at the end of it all.

Niki99

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would always suggest to do blood work beforehand but for me Finasteride saved me for now. I'm 23 and was a borderline NW3 with continuing loss at 20. I have stabilized and regained a lot in the last few years. I also had no side effects.

I'm a person that trusts science and does not think that everything is a conspiracy nor do I think that I know more than actual experts. Going with the science, reading studies and knowing how to differentiate between credible sources and bs always served me well until now.

Finasteride is a safe drug although there are always possibilities that it can go wrong. But the fear mongering that I read in forums like these is toxic and almost made me not start finasteride which would have been the worst decision I could have made.

Normally I wouldn't even be in a forum like this anymore but I still get Email notifications and decided to look at it again. Yep.. the same sh*t as always.

I have attached some pics and although they are not the best comparisons in terms of lighting I think it is clear what progress I made and how bad it gotten before finasteride. I owe a lot to the drug and credible people in this forum that are scientifically literate.

The first four pictures are before finasteride. The next four are after starting with it and in chronological order. The last two are how it looks when I literally do nothing with it and just keep it casual which is passable I guess even tho the hairline is far from perfect. But without the drug I wouldn't be where I am today I'm sure of that. I will try to maintain that and when I'm older get a small transplant to fill the temples in a bit and/or counteract future loss.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220425-132447_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220425-132447_Gallery.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot_20220425-132323_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220425-132323_Gallery.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20220425-132258_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220425-132258_Gallery.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20220425-132256_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220425-132256_Gallery.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20220425-132422_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220425-132422_Gallery.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20220425-132356_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220425-132356_Gallery.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_20220423-175535_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220423-175535_Gallery.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_20220423-175531_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220423-175531_Gallery.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_20220423-181208_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220423-181208_Gallery.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot_20220423-180037_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220423-180037_Gallery.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 144

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would always suggest to do blood work beforehand but for me Finasteride saved me for now. I'm 23 and was a borderline NW3 with continuing loss at 20. I have stabilized and regained a lot in the last few years. I also had no side effects.

I'm a person that trusts science and does not think that everything is a conspiracy nor do I think that I know more than actual experts. Going with the science, reading studies and knowing how to differentiate between credible sources and bs always served me well until now.

Finasteride is a safe drug although there are always possibilities that it can go wrong. But the fear mongering that I read in forums like these is toxic and almost made me not start finasteride which would have been the worst decision I could have made.

Normally I wouldn't even be in a forum like this anymore but I still get Email notifications and decided to look at it again. Yep.. the same sh*t as always.

I have attached some pics and although they are not the best comparisons in terms of lighting I think it is clear what progress I made and how bad it gotten before finasteride. I owe a lot to the drug and credible people in this forum that are scientifically literate.

The first four pictures are before finasteride. The next four are after starting with it and in chronological order. The last two are how it looks when I literally do nothing with it and just keep it casual which is passable I guess even tho the hairline is far from perfect. But without the drug I wouldn't be where I am today I'm sure of that. I will try to maintain that and when I'm older get a small transplant to fill the temples in a bit and/or counteract future loss.
Great results. Ur Lucky.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree and would add the most dangerous thing about this forum and website are those users advising teenagers to jump straight onto finasteride minoxodil and nizoral.
Dude, why you are mixing all in the same bag ? If you don't want that a teenager use minoxidil or Nizoral what they should do ? go bald ? a hair transplant ? lol . Minoxidil and Ketoconazole ( at least as shampoo ) are totally safe .

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

nonsensical post, complete and utter nonsense.

Learn about a thing called genetics, hair loss is a gradual process ie minitiarization and the follicles get damaged slowly until poof gone

DHT does play a huge role in teens but it’s not as important afterwards in adulthood.

watch Kevin manns videos on the subject, he goes into details

Renovation

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, why you are mixing all in the same bag ? If you don't want that a teenager use minoxidil or Nizoral what they should do ? go bald ? a hair transplant ? lol . Minoxidil and Ketoconazole ( at least as shampoo ) are totally safe .
They may be generally safe (compared with DHT blockers anyway) but you cant honestly tell me you haven't read stories of dramatic shedding and zero regrowth from minoxidil over the years? Im saying dangerous as in dangerous to hair not health.

It works for some and if you notice considerable hairloss it might be an option even at a young age, but to use it as a prevention before you have hairloss is crazy as there is a very real potential of kick starting/accelerating hair loss which is even worse if someone starts using it, panics with shedding then stops. No one should do this but many do.

Nizoral maybe not as bad but personally hated it, I can however see why people would advise using it mildly to see if it helps.

All this is referring to young people who first notice potential hairloss, which in many cases is non existent/BDD and the natural aging process. Seen so many people on here posting pics of great hair and being advised to jump on finasteride or minoxidil. Which is the what I'm calling dangerous, dangerous to their hair that is.

Focussing just on DHT blockers, advising teenagers to take these as a prevention when their hair is probably fine is on another level of dangerous. But overall the big 3 should not be recommended to young people before they have genuine signs of hairloss, I'm not saying they need to wait until there almost bald.

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score

Learn about a thing called genetics, hair loss is a gradual process ie minitiarization and the follicles get damaged slowly until poof gone

DHT does play a huge role in teens but it’s not as important afterwards in adulthood.

Kevin Man looks every day more like Caitlyn Marie Jenner so it is really not a good example that DHT is not need it :D

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score

Why is my sperm production way less then? Cant even shoot out my sperm anymore. Dht is important when it comes to sperm production. Its one of the most Common Side effects even. Idiot.

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is my sperm production way less then? Cant even shoot out my sperm anymore. Dht is important when it comes to sperm production. Its one of the most Common Side effects even. Idiot.

maybe taper down the dose? And take it every other day.

finasteride has a very long half life and it stays in the body/scalp for a while so you don’t need to take it everyday