Taking Female Hormones and male pattern baldness

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
hey,

gemini, looking at your progress pics all i can say is, wow...i would never have guessed someone with as little hair as you had to begin with (almost slick bald, all on top) could finish up with comparatively huge amounts. even with hair transplants i didnt think you could do that much because of limited donor hair etc.

can i ask what other treatments you have been on, finasteride, minoxidil, nizoral, etc and for how long? also, how much have you spent on hair transplants in total, and how much of your regrowth do you attributed to these hair transplants?

thanks!!

GeminiX

Reaction score
None of the visible regrowth in my diary is from hair transplant, it's only been three months and even now the grafts are only just starting to be visible.

My original daily regmien was as follows :

2.5mg Finasteride (1/2 a Proscar)
1 Androcur
3 Ovysmen

This has now changed to the regmien listed below until I have the grs (gender re-assignment surgery).

In addition to this I use Nizoral, though not often It's not a great shampoo to be honest, and I much prefer a good thickening or salon shampoo.

I also had a brief phase with Minoxidil (a few weeks) but had a nasty reaction to it and got fed up of the hassle (It's enough work doing my hair, nails, moisturiser etc).

I have only had the one hair transplant session, which was just to sort my hairline and temples out. I'll add a new pic to my diary later, though I don't think you will see much difference from the latest ones already there.

D.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
so im guessing you would attribute most of your massive regrowth to the female hormones etc?

GeminiX

Reaction score
It's probably more a result of the Androcur than the Oestregens.

The amount of hair that has regrown has been very pleasing, but what's more amazing is that I still keep finding fresh waves of vellus hairs. I've been pretty much "cue ball" bald on top for the last 8 or 9 years, so I really didn't expect to gain that much, let alone still be finding fresh growth.

The vellus are all growing at roughly the same rate too :-

Two months as teeny white hairs then they vanish / shed,
Three months they grow but are very fine and stop growing,
Six months they re-appear as terminal and grow indefinately.

Lately there has been a massive amount of vellus sprouting all over the place. The hair transplant area has hundreds and hundreds of them, these are probably the hair transplant hairs, but the amount along my hairline appears to be far more than hair transplant. The only think I can think of which has triggered them is my recent switch to Dutasteride.

D

GeminiX

Reaction score
The effects of Androcur will vary from person to person, you probably won't have the feminisation that one gets from the hormones but none the less it's a nasty drug (huge list of sides).

While the use of an anti-androgen can be beneficial for hair loss, I would certainly not self prescibe, and never ever even consider Androcur (spironolactone is way more gentle).

D

Vega

Reaction score
hi again gemini

how long since you started using Androcur did you notice any results? is it a quick acting drug?

GeminiX

Reaction score
About a month after I started taking Androcur I had my chest waxed (I was a bit of a hairy ape) and the hair has simply never grown back!

The downside is Androcur can make you very depressed, however this will effect people at different levels (Personally I NEVER give in to the demons and find I am able to rise over it, but other people I know have had to come off the drug as they get too deep into the funk).

A lot of "depression" depends on the character of the individual. If I allowed myself to get dragged down by the self pity and loathing that is the horror of my condition then I would be 6ft under by now, however as Monty Python once said, "Always look on the bright side of life!".

Anyhoo, I digress... DO NOT take androcur without medical supervision!!!

D