Take it away

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Lately, I've been thinking about dropping out of school for the last time, at least, for a few years. I can't take the loneliness, the pressure, the constant deadlines, the the feelings of low self-esteem. I'm getting very little out the university.

Over the last few months, I've been weighing my options, and I think that my life's cause isn't to go to school or get tied down to a city job. I want to do something that matters and get out of this American, consumerist society. It's not for me, and I don't fit in-- I'd like to join a non-profit organization that sends its members overseas to help poor communities, to educate and build infrastructure and improve farming techniques.

But sometimes I wonder, if I'd regret not finishing my school. Sometimes I think that some of your greatest achievements in life are obtained when you keep going, even though you've had so many chances to turn back. And I am struggling with whether to continue the student loans and the increasing debt, or just cut my schooling altogether and do this non-profit thing.

I'm grossly depressed and lonely. Some people are born taller, have more money, better looks, and a natural sense of humor. But the people who really matter are the ones who use their resources and do the best that they can.

I can't let myself down anymore. I just can't take it.
Dude if you drop out of school you will never forgive yourself... You will also have to ask yourself at EVERY avenue and corner you come to; "WHAT IF?" We all have dreams and ideals, which can change daily if we feel the need, but my solemn belief is that once you stop learning and gaining knowledge, you start dying. No matter what age that is. At least finish the qualifications you have come so far already with.

The lonliness is something you can get very used to (and have to sometimes). You need a friend and a lover that can put up with you, your moods, your personality, your sheer intensity... No compomises, no room for error... This you may not find where you are, but it's definitely not worth throwing in the towel and moving - you may find it just the same, even worse maybe if you do. The pressure and the constant deadlines are the world's way of letting you know it acknowledges your presence. If you're not in the right mind frame once you leave, can you imagine how much more lonely it would be without the deadlines or familiar hustle and bustle of NY? But if this is what you like...

You have very noble and generous goals, to be admired by many. However, I believe it is important that before you can effectively help others, you must be able to help yourself. Yes do it if you have to or want to, but do it for the right reasons. Living an altruistic life may hold great accomplishment, but when it comes down to it you still need to provide yourself with the basic survival mechanisms; food, shelter, hygeine, knowledge and emotional happiness. Without ALL of those your life may as well be bicameral, unconscious.... like that of an animal.

But above all would you really want to leave now and drop everything? Or would you rather plan it realistically, work towards it, and then do it... knowing you have gained EVERYthing you could from your previous lifestyle?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
MaxPwr,
thank you, thank you, thank you. I really appreciate your help, and I've considered every word you said. I'm going to take that into account when I put all my options out on the table.

I could really use some more responses. Any perspective will be well-received. Thank you.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
Aplunk,my girl was studying at university but got very ill and had to drop out,shes yet to go back and to be honest shes 99% against going back.She was a very good student,excellent grades and loved uni but we both wanna escape like you say,the consumerist society and set up home in the countryside.

I realise why people say if you drop out youll always regret it but you can go back at any point you like,life is way too short to not fully consider every option.Do what you want to do right now and you can always go back to uni in a couple of years.However you really have to do something worthwhile ,why not go overseas and do volunteer work? go build houses in south america or dig wells in africa,sounds like you wanna help people out so go do it! good luck :)

Cassin

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Lately, I've been thinking about dropping out of school for the last time, at least, for a few years. I can't take the loneliness, the pressure, the constant deadlines, the the feelings of low self-esteem. I'm getting very little out the university.

Over the last few months, I've been weighing my options, and I think that my life's cause isn't to go to school or get tied down to a city job. I want to do something that matters and get out of this American, consumerist society. It's not for me, and I don't fit in-- I'd like to join a non-profit organization that sends its members overseas to help poor communities, to educate and build infrastructure and improve farming techniques.

But sometimes I wonder, if I'd regret not finishing my school. Sometimes I think that some of your greatest achievements in life are obtained when you keep going, even though you've had so many chances to turn back. And I am struggling with whether to continue the student loans and the increasing debt, or just cut my schooling altogether and do this non-profit thing.

I'm grossly depressed and lonely. Some people are born taller, have more money, better looks, and a natural sense of humor. But the people who really matter are the ones who use their resources and do the best that they can.

I can't let myself down anymore. I just can't take it.

Think things will get better because you will drop out of school? Are you serious? You think deadlines and pressure stops?

NO

Wake up my friend. I work part time with "non-profit organization's" (and have for a long time) and pressure and deadlines are more fierce because the clock is constantly ticking because of funds. You aren't sitting around sipping coffee discussing the woes of the world. And besides....most people you are helping hate "you." so don't think you will be making people happy. It's a rough thing working "dirty charity."

Don't blame America...blame your mindset. I may sound like an *** but I like you so I will give you my honest opinion.

You are looking for an excuse for whatever you see as a failure.

And "Dirty Charity" is when you're actually doing real life charity work and not working in some soup kitchen passing out pamphlets or warehouse stacking pallets of food.

Real charity is perhaps mopping up puke from a crises center for starters at a entry level.

Perhaps you should spend a few weekends/months or years doing that before you drop out of school to try to "help poor communities, to educate and build infrastructure and improve farming techniques."

Look at the real requirements involved...Seriously??!?!?!!? You're ready to go into a community and be so arrogant?

How many crops in a community have you fixed that have failed by the way due to drought or infestation? How many have you improved? Living on campus are you ready to go to Columbia and tell them what they have done wrong in farming/infrastructure? Because that is part of it.

Maybe you should work for "Habitat for humanity" for a month or so and see what it's like to build a house?

I don't mean to sound so aggressive but I see college students come and go weekly with superficial good intentions but having zero clue what real charity is and run back to wherever they came from. School is a dozen times easier than real charity.

Just a dose of reality.

Oh...and most charities that send people over seas or beyond the safe haven of American borders require a degree.

Again...real charity is hard work.

I hope I helped you here and didn't offend. Trust me...if you stay in school and worry about charity later you will thank me. The poor people in "far away land" can wait and don't need you right now.

Cassin

Reaction score
Gosh I feel guilty about what I said but you need to stay in school. Grit your teeth and do charity later! If you have a degree you can do much more charity work.

Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to people...know what you're doing...

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
I know that nobody likes me-- not even you guys.

Just thought I'd add that I now understand this.

:(

God, what hair loss does to a man..........................................................................................

Hey Aplunk, I think you are a genuinely nice guy! You seem so normal compared to alot of the people on this forum! If someone or something is giving you a hard time just think f*ck it! Who the hell are they to make judgments on you! This is the attitude I am starting to adopt because us nice guys always tend to be on the end of put downs etc. I don't care what people think of me and if they have a problem then they can go and f*ck themselves! As for women, there are many nice girls out there but there are also lots biatches and you have to be prepared for their crap! I go out alot more now and I have great times clubbing with my friends and thats whats you've gotta do Aplunk! Life is so short!

I wish you all the best for the future! :)

powersam

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Gosh I feel guilty about what I said but you need to stay in school. Grit your teeth and do charity later! If you have a degree you can do much more charity work.

Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to people...know what you're doing...

Cassin is completely right. Your value to any charitable organisation increases exponentially as your education, income and connections increase. Charities have more than enough hands to get the dirty jobs done, what most organisations actually need are educated people, facilitators with know how and connections.

Thing is though, they need your money more than your time. It's not uncommon for charities to actually charge people to come and volunteer, especially for overseas aid. Peoples reactions to this kind of information often tells alot about their real motivation also. If they actually want to help make a difference, then donate money. If they want to make themselves feel better then donate time.

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
I would stay FINISH SCHOOL!!!!!

You do not know what your future holds. What if you do not find happiness doing charity work? You won't even have your BA (which is now like a high school diploma, an expensive one).

I have a lot of friends who did not go to college and they are so fffucked right now. I grit my teeth and pushed through so ffffucking hard to finish school and when I finished I was so happy and I am still so happy that I did it. I almost dropped out so many times simply because all I wanted to do and all I could think about was killing myself. I am talking about severe depression where I would spend days in bed just wanting to kill myself. I still feel like this a lot but I move forward because it is the only thing that I can do. Everyday I have desires to blow off my head, my mouth waters at the thought of it, it is what I want, but I won't do it because I know it is irrational thinking.

Take pride in your suffering, make your next goal clear, inch away towards that goal. THIS LIFE IS NOT EASY.

Cassin

Reaction score
powersam said:
Your value to any charitable organisation increases exponentially as your education, income and connections increase. Charities have more than enough hands to get the dirty jobs done, what most organisations actually need are educated people, facilitators with know how and connections.

Thing is though, they need your money more than your time. It's not uncommon for charities to actually charge people to come and volunteer, especially for overseas aid. Peoples reactions to this kind of information often tells alot about their real motivation also. If they actually want to help make a difference, then donate money. If they want to make themselves feel better then donate time.

You just said everything I was trying to say without sounding like a complete a**h**. :pint:

The fastest way to lose a charity's respect is to tell them you dropped out of school to "help people." That shows an alarming and cliche excuse for a lack of commitment to college. Money is precious in charity and you would never be trusted with a task that could potentially cost the organization a dime until you have far and above proven yourself. We're talking years here.

And please don't see us as dogpiling. We're doing you a huge favor. It's a very noble desire but there is a right way to go about it and a horrible way. There is literally no in between.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I just noticed this thread.

I haven't gone through the respones yet, but I applaud your sincerity. And some of the older members, especially, because you're all a bit older than me, and have spoken wisely before.

It's still an option for me. I'm going to schedule an appointment to talk to an officer about it.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
My university offers a transfer out program that will allow me to transfer my the majority of my 4-year degree for a 2-year one.

That's not so bad, right? Having a 2-year degree?

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
My university offers a transfer out program that will allow me to transfer my the majority of my 4-year degree for a 2-year one.

i was at uni for 5 years,drove me nuts!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
libertine said:
Aplunk1 said:

i was at uni for 5 years,drove me nuts!

6 yrs for me lol

powersam

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:

better than nothing, but nowhere near as good.

if i was charitably inclined, i'd do one of two things. earn a shiteload of money so i could kick start industries in poor countries. or learn something vital like natural resource management, sustainable farming practices etc, information that could really help struggling countries.