System Width? (only Need It To Be Narrow)

Boon

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not familiar with Norwood scales but I do know that I do NOT have a massive horse shoe pattern going deep down the back or sides of my head.

Does it matter if I cut a system to suit the area of coverage required and it is quite a narrow piece that sticks more to the TOP of my head instead of the sides ? as I have a lot of thick healthy hair high up the sides, or is it best to shave excess biohair down the sides and fasten a system wider than I need to for any reason?

just wondering if it matters if its secured more "ontop" than "lower down the sides" of my head when it does not need to be?

cheers
Boon

Boon

My Regimen
Reaction score
so adhesive on top rather than the side makes no difference at all?

cheers

Boon

My Regimen
Reaction score
also, is it safe to tweezer pluck odd hairs in the hairline from a french lace base?

cheers :)

Noah

Reaction score
If it’s a lace system you will still (probably) be putting the adhesive around the edges of the system. But it makes no difference that it’s a long narrow system, and that therefore the adhesives are on top of your head rather than on the sides.

You can pluck hairs from the hairline, but it’s best to soak the hairpiece in warm water for 10 minutes first. That lubricates the knots so that they slip out more easily. Be careful not to create any bald spots.

Boon

My Regimen
Reaction score
If it’s a lace system you will still (probably) be putting the adhesive around the edges of the system. But it makes no difference that it’s a long narrow system, and that therefore the adhesives are on top of your head rather than on the sides.

You can pluck hairs from the hairline, but it’s best to soak the hairpiece in warm water for 10 minutes first. That lubricates the knots so that they slip out more easily. Be careful not to create any bald spots.

Great advice much appreciated :) thanks

your comment about soaking for ten mins in warm water, does this mean a ten minute shower or bathing severely weakens the knots? any issues to be aware of in that respect?

cheers

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Knots are at their weakest being soaked including a shower in that they are easier to slip and unravel; hence Noah's suggestion but also avoid vigourous combing during and shortly after a shower to minimise shedding; not that suddenly wet hair means shedding. I haven't noticed such in a decade. Its more a precaution to extend a piece.

If the base is all lace or skin then you can freely cut a system to size any area. If there is a poly on the underside and you are cutting into and retaining some of it then the hair can sometimes have an false lie at the edges. It all comes down to how its knotted in that area.

A smaller piece should bond as strong as a larger one. The only exception is if its particularly narrow like an inch or two. Its no fault of the system or the adhesive, just the science of less surface area gripping the scalp; esp at the front.

Yes you can thin a hairline with tweezers and patience

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My only comment would be to position the piece as intended, meaning front at front ( area with excess lace). If you a planning a taking a 8×10 piece and make 4 narrow pieces, the positioning is important due to ventilation / hair direction and density is less at front...