Switching To Oral Minoxidil To Avoid Sides

Boston222

My Regimen
Reaction score
Greetings

Ive been using topical minoxidil twice daily for coming on 3 years now (currently 22yr/old) for my hairline after my dermatologist prescribed it to me. Initially I had good gains that were somewhat maintained but slowly recession continued. More recently my derm put me onto 1mg daily oral minoxidil and suggested I drop topical because she believed it was enough to maintain the minoxidil dependent hairs that I had. However on forums I was warned that this dosage was probably too low, so I stuck to twice daily application plus 1mg oral. I didn't have crazy improvements but can say I steadily maintained with no sides besides increased beard and chest hair. However lately im starting to suspect that Im potentially overdoing it and am getting facial bloating.

Now my question is do you guys believe that I could make the switch to solely using oral minoxidil at 1.5mg daily? I want to do this because of a recent video by moreplatesmoresdates that I'm sure some are aware of, where he basically suggests that risk of sides from daily topical application would be similar to low dose (1to 2mg) oral minoxidil. He also suggests there are benefits to oral because higher amounts are converted to minoxidil sulfate which more effectively stimulates growth. Dude knows his stuff ill link if you guys want to check out :

My plan is to basically space out 1mg oral dosages into 16hour windows so I average out to 1.5mg/day (first day- morning & night, next day- lunch time, next day- morning & night etc.) Im also going to incorporate micro needling because this has a compounding effect on minoxidil growth stimulation.

I want to make the switch bc it seems that topical has a high risk of going systemic, but won't necessarily result in higher amounts of minoxidil sulfate conversion- meaning that im currently getting the sides of bloating/water retention without the benefits of increased growth from sulfate stimulation. Also, the hassle of applying sucks and skin ageing may be negated by the switch.

What do you guys think? Will this regimen of switching to 1.5mg/day be enough to maintain my minoxidil dependant hairs gained from 1mg/day + topical twice/day? Any input, insults or personal experiences are appreciated!

Cheers guys

Last edited:

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
on one point i agree: minoxidil sulfation is easier in the liver than in the scalp

DiffuseSucks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Greetings

Ive been using topical minoxidil twice daily for coming on 3 years now (currently 22yr/old) for my hairline after my dermatologist prescribed it to me. Initially I had good gains that were somewhat maintained but slowly recession continued. More recently my derm put me onto 1mg daily oral minoxidil and suggested I drop topical because she believed it was enough to maintain the minoxidil dependent hairs that I had. However on forums I was warned that this dosage was probably too low, so I stuck to twice daily application plus 1mg oral. I didn't have crazy improvements but can say I steadily maintained with no sides besides increased beard and chest hair. However lately im starting to suspect that Im potentially overdoing it and am getting facial bloating.

Now my question is do you guys believe that I could make the switch to solely using oral minoxidil at 1.5mg daily? I want to do this because of a recent video by moreplatesmoresdates that I'm sure some are aware of, where he basically suggests that risk of sides from daily topical application would be similar to low dose (1to 2mg) oral minoxidil. He also suggests there are benefits to oral because higher amounts are converted to minoxidil sulfate which more effectively stimulates growth. Dude knows his stuff ill link if you guys want to check out :

My plan is to basically space out 1mg oral dosages into 16hour windows so I average out to 1.5mg/day (first day- morning & night, next day- lunch time, next day- morning & night etc.) Im also going to incorporate micro needling because this has a compounding effect on minoxidil growth stimulation.

I want to make the switch bc it seems that topical has a high risk of going systemic, but won't necessarily result in higher amounts of minoxidil sulfate conversion- meaning that im currently getting the sides of bloating/water retention without the benefits of increased growth from sulfate stimulation. Also, the hassle of applying sucks and skin ageing may be negated by the switch.

What do you guys think? Will this regimen of switching to 1.5mg/day be enough to maintain my minoxidil dependant hairs gained from 1mg/day + topical twice/day? Any input, insults or personal experiences are appreciated!

Cheers guys
Why aren't you on finasteride? Min alone just buys you some time. You'll continue losing hair even on oral min alone.

Boston222

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why aren't you on finasteride? Min alone just buys you some time. You'll continue losing hair even on oral min alone.
I was unfortunately one of the unlucky group that gets side effects from finasteride. Ive ordered RU58841 and am going to try hopefully just maintain on that. Derrick from Moreplatesmoredates swears by it so figured its better than nothing. Have u got any experiences w RU?

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Get ready to have your under eyes swell up. I’m quitting it. Helped for four months than wore off and now I’m worse and my face is bloated with fluid retention. I used it since October. Goodluck

DiffuseSucks

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was unfortunately one of the unlucky group that gets side effects from finasteride. Ive ordered RU58841 and am going to try hopefully just maintain on that. Derrick from Moreplatesmoredates swears by it so figured its better than nothing. Have u got any experiences w RU?

I think RU is a hit or miss. I've seen people have great results with it and others who had no results. Just have to try it out and see how you respond. I'm thinking of adding RU down the road if dutasteride doesn't seem to stop my hairloss

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think RU is a hit or miss. I've seen people have great results with it and others who had no results. Just have to try it out and see how you respond. I'm thinking of adding RU down the road if dutasteride doesn't seem to stop my hairloss

I can't really think of anyone getting great results from RU monotherapy, it is pretty weak on it's own and is best used in conjunction with fina/duta. Maybe if you are hair loss is very mild and not aggressive it might help on its own.

Boston222

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get ready to have your under eyes swell up. I’m quitting it. Helped for four months than wore off and now I’m worse and my face is bloated with fluid retention. I used it since October. Goodluck
is this a common side effect or was this a unique response just for you?