Switching From Generic finasteride To Propecia?

Wayfinder

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I've been shedding intensely on finasteride for what'll soon be 4 months (shedding started within two days of starting). I started out with an almost full head of hair (I was thinning very slightly in the front, but everything else was fine). I used to have to convince people I was balding and they wouldn't believe me. The shedding has just been so intense that now people have started to point it out, even when I changed my hair style to cover up the thinning. I just really want the shedding to subside.

Anyway, my doctor suggested that an option I had was to switch from the generic 1.25 mg finasteride I've been taking to the brand-name 1 mg Propecia. She said that I might react better to that version of the drug.

Now, I've never read about anyone hopping over from generic to brand-name. I've only ever heard of the other way around due to cost and availability. And I've read posts about people who switch from brand-name to generic and how they have reacted worse to the generic.

So on one hand, maybe switching from generic to brand-name would mean the opposite and that it would work better for me. On the other hand, it might be the actual switch that's the problem, and switching in either direction might make things worse.

So has anyone switched over from generic to Propecia before? Has it been an improvement? Has it not changed anything? Has it made things worse?

Also, do you guys think that there might be any added sides if I were to switch over? Because it seems I've been lucky enough to avoid any of the sides other than shedding.

Last edited:

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
There technically isn't any difference between generic and brand name. The FDA requires the same standard of quality for both generic and brand name. The only miniscule difference is that the inactive ingredients in the pills may vary from generic to generic to brand name. Hope this helped.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
The textbook answer is what AnxiousAndy said however this is not true. There have been many times where I switched from generic to brand and side effects totally disappeared (physical side effects that were not placebo) and the drug worked better.

Brand name drugs have the studies done on them and the quality of ingredient is better. It is kind of like asking a heroin addict if black tar heroin is as good as pharmaceutical grade. They would say no. It is still 'heroin' though.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
The textbook answer is what AnxiousAndy said however this is not true. There have been many times where I switched from generic to brand and side effects totally disappeared (physical side effects that were not placebo) and the drug worked better.

Brand name drugs have the studies done on them and the quality of ingredient is better. It is kind of like asking a heroin addict if black tar heroin is as good as pharmaceutical grade. They would say no. It is still 'heroin' though.
I've experienced the same thing myself with minoxidil tablets. One brand worked great, the other didn't work at all.. Both were generics right enough, I'm drinking Kirkland brand now so I know what I'm getting is the real deal. Facial hair is growing in nicely.

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing, brand name propecia is $300 for a 3 month supply, where as generic varies from $15 to $50. I feel like the manufacturing process for this drug might be a little complex and so I would trust Merck more on this one, whether it's propecia or proscar. Since finasteride generally has a flat dose response, you can cut them in half or quarters and accrue the same amount of DHT inhibition. So in that case 90 tablets would be 180 if in half, and 360 if quarters.

But I'm willing to change my opinion if people had solid success on generic only.

edit: and not all generics are equal obviously... you can check the various labs that available in the U.S by clicking the image in the top left: https://www.goodrx.com/propecia/images?form=tablet&dosage=1mg&quantity=90&label_override=finasteride

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Which brand generic are you using? You can go to a different pharmacy and see if they can supply a different generic.