Switching brands of generic finasteride with increased hair loss

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In Australia; i recently switched brands of generic finasteride as it changed at my chemist. I feel like within 2 weeks of taking the new generic brand my hair loss has increased and my hair is looking worse. Half life is relatively short so the old generic brand finasteride would be out my system now. Thinking this new one isnt as affective or my body reacts differently to the non active ingredients.

Has anyone experienced the same?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 weeks would be quite a short time to notice a difference, but if you want the added peace of mind, can't you switch back to your old one if its still manufactured?

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
2 weeks would be quite a short time to notice a difference, but if you want the added peace of mind, can't you switch back to your old one if its still manufactured?
I thought that too but i just guessed the half life is pretty short so maybe 2 weeks isnt so quick.

Its a big chain chemist and they were the only ones who stocked it. Not sure why they have changed their generic brand.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought that too but i just guessed the half life is pretty short so maybe 2 weeks isnt so quick.

Its a big chain chemist and they were the only ones who stocked it. Not sure why they have changed their generic brand.
All in your head mate. I went from dutasteride to finasteride and shedding is still the same cause both blocks dht.

jazz1

Reaction score
I have read so many stories where people switched brands and lost ground over the years. I would stick to legit brand Propecia to save yourself headache as I have helped one guy save his hair again. He switched to generic brand and lost ground then switched back due to my advice and regained his hair.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have read so many stories where people switched brands and lost ground over the years. I would stick to legit brand Propecia to save yourself headache as I have helped one guy save his hair again. He switched to generic brand and lost ground then switched back due to my advice and regained his hair.
I have heard the same. Although i did try brand Proscar for 3 months and cant say i noticed any difference between that and my previous generic one. It hard to determine whether you are losing ground due to age or if its the switch to generic.

jazz1

Reaction score
I have heard the same. Although i did try brand Proscar for 3 months and cant say i noticed any difference between that and my previous generic one. It hard to determine whether you are losing ground due to age or if its the switch to generic.
Try LEGIT brand propecia, I added the picture. Plus add a good shampoo like Regenepure DR and Nizoral. Also add some hair oils like divine herbal. As this would help eliminate direct scalp DHT, oral only eliminates certain amount with the blood.

Attachments

• 00C6A618-03E1-4FA0-B92C-4D0792264DB0.jpeg
    00C6A618-03E1-4FA0-B92C-4D0792264DB0.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 86

User707

My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny you mention this. I've been getting my finasteride in the UK. Got a script here about a year ago. Went to Chemist Warehouse and got the generic brand of 5mg which I cut into 4. Since then I've had a real increase in hair loss the last 2 months. I've been on finasteride for 20 years and its maintained my hair really well until now..

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Funny you mention this. I've been getting my finasteride in the UK. Got a script here about a year ago. Went to Chemist Warehouse and got the generic brand of 5mg which I cut into 4. Since then I've had a real increase in hair loss the last 2 months. I've been on finasteride for 20 years and its maintained my hair really well until now..
You must be on same as me
Finasta its called.
Was you on generic in england?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I got approved by doctor im getting propecia. Yeeee. Fuk indian generics.

User707

My Regimen
Reaction score
You must be on same as me
Finasta its called.
Was you on generic in england?
I'm pretty sure I was generic when I was living in the UK as got it from Boots. So I was just reading some of your comments @UnknownT about oral minoxodil. Had a very interesting day as I've been on finasteride and sporadic topical minoxidil for 20 years. It has served me well but recently been notice a bit of thinning towards the front. I'm probably the only one who notices unless you really look for it. Went to my doctor today for blood tests incase anything was up with me and he prescribed me oral minoxodil. Can I ask what your experience was with it? From what I've read so far it looks hopeful and the fact that he just prescribed it to me out of the blue without me asking for it must mean it is relatively safe as this isnt some backstreet doctor and is highly respected.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I was generic when I was living in the UK as got it from Boots. So I was just reading some of your comments @UnknownT about oral minoxodil. Had a very interesting day as I've been on finasteride and sporadic topical minoxidil for 20 years. It has served me well but recently been notice a bit of thinning towards the front. I'm probably the only one who notices unless you really look for it. Went to my doctor today for blood tests incase anything was up with me and he prescribed me oral minoxodil. Can I ask what your experience was with it? From what I've read so far it looks hopeful and the fact that he just prescribed it to me out of the blue without me asking for it must mean it is relatively safe as this isnt some backstreet doctor and is highly respected.
Yeah they seem to be a lot more open to prescribing OM here in Australia.
Tbh my experience with it has been pretty uneventful which is good or bad whatever way you interprete it.
Was on 5mg for a year, had irregular heart beats first few weeks but then stopped. Didn't notice any shed at the start but has been a few small sporadic ones throughout the 2 years.
After 1 year upped dosage to 10mg a day.
Had small increase in body hair and i noticed small hairs along the hairline but other than that cant say it has done much. You hear some great results with it so i think it effects everyone very differently as do all hair loss drugs but overall i was quite disappointed by it. I'm still on it, just don't want to stop incase i lose any ground. will drop back down to 5mg a day.
My doctor has tried to get me off it as it can have long term issues with your heart. i got it from a dermatologist.

MikeJay

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In Australia; i recently switched brands of generic finasteride as it changed at my chemist. I feel like within 2 weeks of taking the new generic brand my hair loss has increased and my hair is looking worse. Half life is relatively short so the old generic brand finasteride would be out my system now. Thinking this new one isnt as affective or my body reacts differently to the non active ingredients.

Has anyone experienced the same?
the non active ingredients in original propecia are mainly filling agents coloring agents and caking agents that are mainly found in many other pills Generic one only contain the titianium oxide ingredieint How will the absence of this susbtances affect the efficacy of finasteride?