Super Fine Swiss Lace Or Poly (thin Skin) ?

Noah

Reaction score
They each have pros and cons.
  • Skin is better for partings and crowns - seen from above it mimics a human scalp very well. Lace is better for the hairline, because there is no hard edge to see.
  • Skin is easier to clean up - it is a shiny impervious surface which easily wipes clean of glue etc. Lace is delicate, and has to be cleaned with care, usually after soaking, to avoid stretching the base or causing if to fray, or causing the hairs to come through to the wrong side. You can partly cure that problem by ordering a poly rim around the back and sides of a lace piece, and possibly other strategically-placed tape patches, although they may be detectable to the touch.
  • Skin is usually attached with a full head bond of glue. It makes a "plastic bag" noise if you touch it when it is not glued down. It is risky to use strong tape on a thinskin base, because you could tear the base when you try to get it off.
  • Lace is usually attached just at the perimeter, and you can use tape or glue.
  • Lace is very open-textured and breathable. You can feel the wind and rain through a lace piece, and sweat just runs through it. Skin is an impermeable plastic film. It is not breathable, so sweat gets trapped under the base and eventually finds its way out at the edges. Some skin pieces have little holes in the membrane supposedly to cure this problem, but in my experience they don't work.
  • They both have about the same lifespan and price.
There is no right or wrong answer. A lot of guys are very keen on skin bases. For me, the crux point is breathability, and I would say if you are sporting or physically active, or you live in a hot or humid climate, lace is the better choice. If you are mostly sedentary and you live in a cold climate or are mainly in aircon, there are advantages to skin.