Sunburn my drunk minoxidil scalp baby

James

Reaction score
Okay,

I'm goin on holiday in the beginning of july to Greece. Greece is approx. 40 degrees hot during the day. At the moment i am living in the north of england(no sun) And i will be drinking alot of alcohol. :eek:

- can i still use proscar?
- can i still use minoxidil (i use it once a day now because of the irritation thing)

The sun and alcohol might be a problem??

How do you guys cope with this on holidays??

I was thinking to use proscar as normal and use minoxidil after my scalp is used to the sun.....

p.s.At the moment (in my second month of the big three) im still shedding (2nd week of shedding) I blame the minoxidil, maybe i should quit it all before it goes terribly wrong on my hol's?

I really really hope you guys can help me, really dont know what to do..

Cheers......

Bismarck

Reaction score
If you apply minoxidil in the evening before going to bed (in your own bed or in anothers) this should be no problem.

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
you should realy use minoxidil twice a day for best results, i work out side so in the summer i try and put minoxidil on at lest an hour before i go out side so most of it will be gone before the sun gets on it or wear a hat for the first few hours, i once put minoxidil on and then went surfing i got so burn 10 times worse

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
kiwi1973 said:
you should realy use minoxidil twice a day for best results

IMO, James made the right call here. Keeping the scalp in good condition is more important then using minoxidil twice a day. Poor scalp health can lose the battle for us really fast. I have no doubt it was heavy minoxidil applications (more then the reccomended dosage, I admit) that caused my most recent shed.

And Bizmark said just what I would have,. just make that application at night. No worries of burning, and no worries of minoxidil mussin up the hair. (some people say minoxidil helps them style it, for me it just makes it worse)

The Gardener

Reaction score
Wow, minoxidil makes it EASIER for some people to style their hair? I suppose if some people are into the dust and alcohol kind of look it might be fashionable?...

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A couple people have claimed this. Maybe they're just goin for that 50's greaser look. :wink:

James

Reaction score
My holiday regimen

THANKS PEOPLE!

I'll keep using minoxidil once a day for now, because waking up in the middle of the night because of my itchin scalp is bad enough already.

For my holiday's I'll use it after my scalp got used to the sun and only at night(if i'm sleeping in my own bed ofcourse :lol: )

I will use the proscar every morning (with the least amount of alcohol in my body)...

And i will not try to get to much of the swiming pool and sea water on my head because thats really bad for your scalp as well.....

Thanks for your help guys....

Cheers,

James

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
james, please take this advice and use minoxidil twice a day - this is how youll see optimum results. and when you start minoxidil is when you get the best results. youll most probably have to keep using it all your life (as long as you want to keep as much hair as possible) and the 1st 2 years are when the most growth occurs. so do 2x a day.

if your scalp is too irritated, not a problem - get on nizoral shampoo. all people with male pattern baldness should be on this anyway. use it 3x or 4x a week and your irritation should disappear like a babys candy. go for it.

James

Reaction score
Youngguy

I'm using nizoral already and t-gel as well.

minoxidil two times a day is too much of a hastle and more important to much irritation....

When i have a day off i do use it twice a day but normally once a day before sleeping....

There are more people on this forum and they use it once a day and have regrowth as well.......

So for now it's once a day especially on my hol's.......

Cheers,

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
have you tried folligen for the irritation? some people on this site swear by it.

as for the 1x application, its up to you but youll get significantly more regrowth using 2x.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
All this hassle that people have using minoxidil twice a day makes me thankful that I have plenty of time to let my morning application soak in before I have to shower.

The Gardener said:
Wow, minoxidil makes it EASIER for some people to style their hair?
Well, once my hair has dried after washing it it definitely feels thicker (slightly crunchy really) on the days when I've applied minoxidil twice when compared to the occasions I use it once or (v. rarely) not at all. I can only assume that a slight residue has built up on my hair, which is strange as I don't exactly coat it with minoxidil, and that this thickens it up, not much but enough to make it easier to style.

Slarti

James

Reaction score
All this hassle that people have using minoxidil twice a day makes me thankful that I have plenty of time to let my morning application soak in before I have to shower.

Isnt it very important that you use minoxidil after a shower? And that you can only use it 3 til 4 hours after a shower?

DJ007

Reaction score
I just hope my proscar works,i dont have time to use minoxidil twice a day like you guys as i work nights.
Have a nice holiday and dont foget to send us all a postcard!

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
James said:

Isnt it very important that you use minoxidil after a shower?
Well I have read posts where people say that applying minoxidil to a slightly damp scalp aids absorption, but I've got good results from putting it on a dry scalp twice a day.

James said:
And that you can only use it 3 til 4 hours after a shower?
The only aspect of minoxidil usage that takes 3 to 4 hours is how long you should give it to soak into your scalp before shampooing.

mr_sparkle

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on minoxidil two weeks now - a bit of a shed as expected but no reason to panic I don't think.

But no scalp irritation...am I just lucky or does this mean that in fact it isn't working as scalp irritation is something you need in a sense as proof that it's working?

The sun is also something I worry about. I mean I'll wait till it's all dried before going outside but still will it still make things a bit worse by exposing my head to the sun?

my two cents on minoxidil and styling - it kinda makes it a bit easier to spike up but if you leave it flat it looks like sh*t. It depends on what style you are having.

James

Reaction score
I got this froma minoxidil FAQ site:

Q. Can I still use minoxidil solutions with retinoic acid if I like to be out in the sun or get a lot of sun exposure on my job?

A. Yes, but it would be wise to wear a hat or use effective sun screens.

Any idea when i should apply the sunscreen and how long before/after that should i use the minoxidil??

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
i think from memory you need to wait 2 hours before apply sunscren over rogaine
its in the rogaine insert