Suggestions before placing my next concealer order

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Okay guys (and gals), here's the situation (I'll go ahead and warn you, it looks like this could be a long post!):

I've got LONG (down to about mid-back) curly hair which is an odd color, a sort of auburn, but not as "red" as the Toppik auburn. My hair is thinning pretty severely all over the top, from the hair line to the crown (with the worst loss being in the hairline going back about midways on the top).

I'm currently using Prothik after styling to give it a little added thickness, but have used Toppik in the past (alone and as an addition to ProThik). Now I'm about to place another order, as I'm running low on Prothik and wanted some opinions before placing my final order. I need something that will work with the length of my hair as well as my styling routine.

Here's what I do in the morning:

Wash with thickening shampoo (I like the texture it gives my hair) and condition it heavily with a curl-conditioning conditioner (Pantene).

After towel-drying gently, I work a creme-based hair thickener and then a curl-booster (both by Tigi) through the hair and then add some hold by working through Pantene's volume-boosting mousse.

After my hair airdries (which takes FOREVER), I use a wide-bristled brush to brush the hair back into a ponytail which breaks up the curl a little (helps with coverage, before brushing I've been frequently told that I look like I have a VERY thin JeriCurl). I use a little bit of volumizing hairspray (aerosol) and then add a moderate amount of Prothik to thicken it up. I brush through it a few times to minimize the frosted/matte look and then give it a finiishing spray of the aerosol hairspray again.

I'm fairly satisfied with my current routine, but have heard a lot of good things about DermMatch. I was hoping that it could make my hair look less see-through (I notice that my scalp tends to show under very bright overhead light which looks odd with the Prothik) and also look more like my natural hair. The Prothik seems to make the hair seem more like a solid mass as opposed to individual strands of hair.

Shaving/cutting my hair isn't an option, as the current length provides a good bit of coverage. Also, I've been growing my hair out since I was 12-13 (I'll be 22 soon) and I don't intend to cut it. I like the length and aside from the thinning, I love my hair the way it is. I'm a Graphic Design student, so although I can currently get away with things such as long hair, facial hair, piercings, etc, I still need to have a cosmetic concealer that isn't ridiculous, since as a designer, I'll be interacting with individuals in a corporate setting after graduation.

So I guess my questions are:

Would adding DermMatch with the Prothik allow me to use less ProThik, therefore looking less "modified" and more natural?

Would DermMatch fit into my current styling procedure? If so, at what point would I work it in? From what I've read, it would probably go after the shower, but before the thickening cream and curl booster (both of which have to be worked through damp hair as they get too stiff and unnatural with fully dry hair)?

I'm not above using several products to get a nice result (for example using DermMatch, then misting the Prothik as I do now and even finishing with a bit of Toppik to simulate my natural highlights).

What do the resident experts think would allow me to have the most aesthetically pleasing result? I'll probably be ordering something within the next day or so, and whenever I get my digital camera from my fiancee I'll update with photos showing how y'alls suggestions work out!

VWdude

Reaction score
Hey there, I just received my Dermmatch order 2 weeks ago. I've only used it twice so far and the results have been amazing. Like you, I put alot of sh*t in my hair to make it look decent. To somewhat answer your questions, I recommend you using DM right after your hair is fully dried. Comb it out and then apply whatever hair products you like. What I usually do is this : Wash my hair, Apply infusium 23 thickening spray, make sure my hair is fully dry, apply DM, comb it out and then style my hair with American crew fiber or some other type of molding putty. The results I get with this are amazing.

I think DM is all you need to conceal your thining. But if you think it helps to add in prothick or toppik go ahead. DM works really well with styling products and I don't think you will have any problems in the styling deparment.
Give it a shot, see what works best then let me know how it goes.