Success with Hair Loss Treatments after 7 Years

top gone

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been a long time lurker of this site and I've posted my initial success story here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/24631-Nice-temple-regrowth-(w-pics) . Started treatment with the big 3 (generic finasteride, kirkland minoxidil and nizoral) back in 2006 when I was 25. I'm 32 now and I've upgraded to a "Fab 5" (Big 3 plus s5 cream and saw palmetto). Throughout the 7 years I've dabbled with a few other things: tried dutasteride for a little over a year (made my hair thinner), rogaine foam (cost too much and not easy to apply), and folligen copper peptides (too much of a hassle to add to regimen plus it smelled and made me sweat green paint, so dropped it). This Fab 5 regimen has so far been working well for me so I plan to keep it going for a while.

PIC: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/attachment.php?attachmentid=19733&stc=1&d=1363719148
As you can see from the pic above, I started out in early 2006 with temple recession and some thinning in the front and crown. The doctor who prescribed me the finasteride at the time said it was just a matter of time before I'd be completely bald. Started the Big 3 right away and after just 6 months my temples filled in and it was showing some good promise. The year and a half mark was the peak of my hair success. I wish I had some pics to show, but I deleted all those pics from that time (long story). But it was super thick and healthy looking. After I noticed a slow decline that's when I started to dabble with those other experiments.

PIC#1: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/attachment.php?attachmentid=19734&stc=1&d=1363719148
PIC#2: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/attachment.php?attachmentid=19735&stc=1&d=1363719148
So now it's been roughly 7 years and as you can see from the pics above (taken in 2013), it looks like the treatments worked. It's grown out now, but you can see that at the very least, it didn't get any worse than what it was. The frontal thinning is less noticeable now and really hard to detect when I spike it up with hair product (the pic you see is with no hair product). That pic with the buzz cut was taken a few months ago right before I grew it out (sorry, that's the best pic I could find with good lighting).

And in case anyone is wondering about side effects, I did have issues with erectile dysfunctions after the two year mark. It actually got to a really bad point recently where I was ready to drop finasteride completely, but by chance I discovered the real cause for my ED: p**rn and fapping. Not sure if it's been discussed on these boards already but basically, the coming of high speed internet ushered in an era of p**rn addiction amongst young males and a direct side effect of it, amongst many other things, is ED. Since I dropped the p**rn/fapping, I've been back to normal :)

Attachments

• before-after.JPG
    before-after.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 7,321
  • hair one.jpg
    hair one.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,884
  • hair two.jpg
    hair two.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,959

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's awesome! You have very similar hair to Nev Schulman, the guy off Catfish (show on MTV). Really inspiring.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wow thats very good!!!! congratulations!!

SuprisedGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
You had barely if any hair loss to begin with but if you were certain it was going then congrats.

A

andrew lincoln

I thought I was the only one around here, who watched that show lol.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Love the "Fab Five" :) I'd swap Saw P with something else. Hope you don't mind - I modified your thread title so it ranks better and more lurkers on the web may benefit from it.

Admin

top gone

Reaction score
Thanks everyone :) ... Had to google who Nev Schulman is, lol, but you're right my hair is similar to his, only slightly thinner. And I wanted to confirm that, yes, I was indeed losing my hair. I know it maybe hard to tell from my before pic, but I confirmed my hair loss with people close to me and a doctor. The buzz cut made it less noticeable, but you could really tell I was losing it when my hair was grown out.

Love the "Fab Five" :) I'd swap Saw P with something else. Hope you don't mind - I modified your thread title so it ranks better and more lurkers on the web may benefit from it.

Admin

Don't mind at all, the title does look better now :).

And I know Saw Palmetto is a bit of a controversial thing around here (at least around the time when I started using it), but I honestly believe it's been working for me. After using the big three for years I noticed a steady increase in my hair loss. First I added S5 cream which I'm still not sure if it's helping. It wasn't until I added Saw P at high doses (equivalent to 1000mg+) to my regimen that I noticed a halt to hair loss with slight increase in thickness. But who knows, could've been the S5 cream taking a while to kick in (I personally doubt that though). In any case, I didn't notice any side effects from using Saw P at high doses (aside from a bright colored pee), so I'll continue to use it.

secrethero89

Reaction score
Your hair just looks like mine. Please keep me updated. How long does the finasteride started to be effective. I have been taking for 6 months. Still shedding a lot. and my hair going worse day by day. :(

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sounds like me as I'm hunting a topical anti androgen to use daily. You make dht daily right? Then you need to suppress or delete it daily. Or else what you talked about happening to you, is what happens. I'm thinking between spironolactone or keto topically. Leaning more towards spironolactone as keto is crazy in the body and this stuff does get absorbed. As for the saw palmetto, i'm with you on that. I used it in conjunction with my anti androgen (oral) and it would cut my hair fall in half. Not sure about the 1000mg though. You'd better go and get your liver and kidneys checked, first now, then periodically. I've read where it's harmed the liver for some on blogs. So get those checked. By the way, what brand of saw do you use? Oh and a major congrats that looks super fantastic! Oh and just my observation, you need to increase your regimen every 5 years. This is when I've seen major, major changes. By the 7th it's gotten really really bad. So I'm intending to increase the strength of the items that I use that are known anti androgens (like the meds, increase strength) and the keto you can likely get it compounded at a higher strength, or just increase the freq of use or leave it on longer. But yeah every 5 years that ish goes to a different level.

top gone

Reaction score
I feel fine ever since upping my saw palmetto dose, but I'll definitely keep that in mind. Don't wanna mess my kidneys up, but it will be a shame if I need to stop because I really think it was the final piece to practically halting my hair loss.