Success Story: 3 Years On Minoxidil Only

jazz1

Reaction score
Awesome result, I agree get on Finasterid.

Tonixity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I will keep on taking the Rogaine foam.

I am really scared of Finasteride; especially as I am affected by mood swings often

Tonixity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Should I stop Minoxidil and go on finasteride only? I heard diffuse thinners like me respond well to this.

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're scared of finasteride at least use a micro-dose topically.

Put one 5 mg pill in the minoxidil 60 mL bottle and let it dissolve for a few hours.

5 mg/60 mL = 0,08 mg/mL

Then every time you use 1 mL of minoxidil you'll also be putting a micro-dose (0,08 mg) of finasteride on your scalp. Finasteride gradually builds up in the scalp, so a micro-dose everyday could work (check the chart).

To respond even better to topical minoxidil, add tretinoin cream, microneedling or both!

You can also try a coffee spoon (2 mL) of castor oil orally everyday. It's very cheap and worth trying.

Attachments

• scalp-serum-finasteride.jpg
    scalp-serum-finasteride.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 130

Tonixity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you this is an interesting study (topical Finasteride). Are there any feedback on the forum from people using it topically vs. ingestion?

I will buy zinc pills as well as a derma roller, hopefully this helps too.

I still hesitate to jump on Finasteride

Tonixity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been losing ground since February/March (I have been very stressed at work as well). I can feel my hair is getting very thin and I lose more and more. My scalp especially crown area is getting more bumps/spots than before; and it's gotten more itchy including on the side. My hair is greying very fast as well (on the side especially but also on top). Not sure how much of this was due to stress at work (I have less stress now thankfully)

I keep using minoxidil foam on a daily basis alongside 2% Nizoral shampoo once or twice a week. What do you guys think I should do?
IMG_2384.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2386.jpeg
    IMG_2386.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2387.jpeg
    IMG_2387.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_2388.jpeg
    IMG_2388.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 154

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No reason not to jump on finasteride otherwise it's an uphill battle of dht flamethrower-ing your follicles.

Tonixity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i will probably see a dermatologist then. But I doubt he would recommend topical finasteride (I can still try it myself)

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i will probably see a dermatologist then. But I doubt he would recommend topical finasteride (I can still try it myself)
Just use keeps or forhim, I think it is. Seeing a dermatologist in person is a waste of time. They still ask about family history which is irrelevant once hair loss is apparent. I refer to this as seeing one's own hole card and when you turn it over, it says already balding. This makes father and uncle and brother completely irrelevant but many guys think it matters and thus, they only have Telogen Effluvium.

I am going to start just answering this way, no, it's too mean but for example:

Dear Janey,

I am a sophomore in college and having a rough patch. My girlfriend dumped me for no apparent reason; my parents are getting divorced; I made a D in organic chemistry so now med school is out and I can't sleep and I have lost 25 pounds in a month. My father's not bald nor my brother and even my uncles all have hair. My doctor says that I have Telogen Effluvium and to just ride it out for six to nine months. But if I wait, isn't that making things much harder for finasteride to resolve?

Absolutely it is. Repeat after me. I do not have Telogen Effluvium. Telogen Effluvium largely occurs in third world countries or people with scurvy and rickets or to people exhausted to the point of starvation. You said in your post that you now weigh 150 lbs and are 5' 9" so I am ruling out starvation and yes, your life sucks; sounds like my second year in college but you cannot wait. If your doctor won't prescribe then buy online or use a company that advertises during sports. Unlike females, who do recover from Telogen Effluvium, you do not have an estrogenic environment that is conducive to hair regrowth. The male body in whites, sees "fixing" loss of scalp hair as its lowest priority. That's hair that is negatively correlated with beard and body hair both of which probably have increased for you. I would say start on half-pills of finasteride, meaning .5mg and then if you feel fine, go up to 1 mg and DM me in a year. It's hard I know but you will not see immediate results and wouldn't even if it were Telogen Effluvium. Hair takes time.

Best,
Janey

cyclonus

Reaction score
You have rather thin density and somewhat curly hair, but looking at all these pictures not much else changed over the years. Maybe you wouldn't lose much more even without treatment. Some people just have hair like this (for life, after puberty).

If you had somehow aggressive hair loss, your current treatment had not saved your hair status.

Tonixity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. It doesn’t look like it in the pictures but I’m definitely thinking I can feel it with my hands and I’m losing more hair since 4-5 months for some reason

Tonixity

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sharing an update.
I went overseas in a third world country and lost my minoxidil products so I had to stop using it during approximately 2.5 months. :(

i have lost a lot as you can see here… I’m back on Minoxidil once a day but i think I’m losing this fight… not sure what I should do at this point. Finasteride? Wait a year or two for a hair transplant surgery? Last picture is when hair is dry ..

Attachments

• 9D2FF4FD-91B2-44FE-B8D3-E9FBAE612E4F.jpeg
    9D2FF4FD-91B2-44FE-B8D3-E9FBAE612E4F.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 926264DE-1D89-4209-997E-89CB216E75E1.jpeg
    926264DE-1D89-4209-997E-89CB216E75E1.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 3EA3143D-5E9F-45EF-BF48-EF1000D6095A.jpeg
    3EA3143D-5E9F-45EF-BF48-EF1000D6095A.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 239

SadAndMad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stopping minoxidil, what did you think would happen?

I would suggest trying a liquid minoxidil instead of foam, combine that with microneedling and you might get back what you lost. Finasteride is also essential, so try to jump on it as soon as possible.

diffusethinnerguy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am the OP. Hair got better since the last pics, on Minoxidil only. However I want to start finasteride, I think it's time after having postponed the decision for almost 10 years.

I want to get into topical finasteride, and I can get access to 0.25% gel.

1) Is it too much?
2) Do I need to be cautious about applying it all over my scalp or it will generally decrease DHT in my scalp more or less homogeneously?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you guys think of 0.25% topical finasteride once a day (in evening)?
Thats a high dose. Thats 2.5mg of finasteride topically it will be worse sides than oral finasteride. Because most of that 2.5mg will go systemic and drop dht by 70% and because it wont metabolize in the liver like oral finasteride means you will have more potent side effects. I would go with 1mg orally Monday and Thursday only. And increase to x3 weekly if no sides. Im gonna do twice weekly due to sexual sides.