Success on Finasteride. Terrible results on Minoxidil 5% foam

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I am in a similar situation as you @CanadianGuy. I have been on propecia for over 15 years. The past 3 years or so I have really started to lose ground. I had hoped things would stabilize and they never did, so I hopped on rogaine in late January of this year. I have only been applying it once a day and exclusively on my temples being that this is the area that is really thinning. Unfortunately things are getting worse and I have been debating what to do. Most likely I will continue on it for at least a year. Has anyone had a similar situation where it took rogaine a little longer to start being effective?
Minoxidil seems to be more effective with derma rolling than on it's own. I think you are not going to find too many people who were able to maintain without losing some ground after 15 years on finasteride. I just think your follicles become more super sensitive to DHT as you age if you have the balding gene. So far I have yet to see someone keep the same amount on hair for over 15 years who has the balding gene.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil seems to be more effective with derma rolling than on it's own. I think you are not going to find too many people who were able to maintain without losing some ground after 15 years on finasteride. I just think your follicles become more super sensitive to DHT as you age if you have the balding gene. So far I have yet to see someone keep the same amount on hair for over 15 years who has the balding gene.
Has anyone ever contacted the admin or a moderator here? now that Propecia has been on the market for 23 years, there's alot of guys with 15-23 years finasteride use under their belts, I think it could do with having a sub forum for 15+year users to share what the next steps are once you get to this stage rather than having post in some of the forums that are often filled with guys just starting out.

Robertabooey

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, Have you been on proper Merck branded Propecia all that time?
Yes with the exception of a few months when generics first became available. My pharmacy refilled my scribe with the non name brand without me knowing. I ended up going back to propecia because I wasn’t comfortable with where the generic brand was being manufactured.

Robertabooey

My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re definitely correct. For the first 10 years I feel like my hair was in better shape than when I first started. Unfortunately genetics are starting to catch up and things are really starting to go down high. I’m still able to conceal the thinning but it’s getting tougher and tougher to do so. It sucks but there are far worse things. Do you use a dermaroller? If so, how many times a week?

Robertabooey

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone ever contacted the admin or a moderator here? now that Propecia has been on the market for 23 years, there's alot of guys with 15-23 years finasteride use under their belts, I think it could do with having a sub forum for 15+year users to share what the next steps are once you get to this stage rather than having post in some of the forums that are often filled with guys just starting out.
That’s a great idea because the search functions don’t really allow you to pinpoint long time users or the “elderly people” in their 40s.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes with the exception of a few months when generics first became available. My pharmacy refilled my scribe with the non name brand without me knowing. I ended up going back to propecia because I wasn’t comfortable with where the generic brand was being manufactured.
I think something happens after you have been on finasteride 15+years, its just there's not enough people sharing information, i cut back a bit on finasteride while the wife was trying to conceive some years ago. and although my hair started to suffer when I restarted full time the next 4 years my hair looked better than before i had some time off. im not saying that actually works, but im hoping in the future there is some kind of simple solution like that, that reset's your tolerance and stops the results plateauing after 15 years.

Grim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical minoxidil didn't do much for me but when I used oral minoxidil... I had the most regrowth I've ever seen. Perhaps consider oral minoxidil as a possibility.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re definitely correct. For the first 10 years I feel like my hair was in better shape than when I first started.
Have you ever had a break in your 15 years or have you been on it constantly?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical minoxidil didn't do much for me but when I used oral minoxidil... I had the most regrowth I've ever seen. Perhaps consider oral minoxidil as a possibility.
How long have you been on finastride or dutasteride for?

Grim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been on finastride or dutasteride for?
I used to use a combo of finasteride and dutasteride, now its just dutasteride. Its been getting close to 4 years now. I maintained but I wanted regrowth so I added topical minoxidil, it didnt do much but holy hell did oral minoxidil work.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
You’re definitely correct. For the first 10 years I feel like my hair was in better shape than when I first started. Unfortunately genetics are starting to catch up and things are really starting to go down high. I’m still able to conceal the thinning but it’s getting tougher and tougher to do so. It sucks but there are far worse things. Do you use a dermaroller? If so, how many times a week?
I just started with the Dr Pen Dermapen. I have had 4 sessions so far and it does cause me to shed more. Only time will tell if I get improvement. I am doing it like every 10 days or so.

ClisOiv

My Regimen
Reaction score
So many products available on the market and there is nothing that could help you regardless of your condition, unfortunately.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I added topical minoxidil, it didnt do much but holy hell did oral minoxidil work.
If you read things like this:

https://www.midlandskin.co.uk/conditions/minoxidil/

it mentions:

''Some people may not respond to topical Minoxidil as they lack the correct enzyme in their hair follicles to activate the medication''

which if its true, admits for some people even if they apply topical minoxidil correctly its not going to do anything.

the issue with oral minoxidil is whether guys approaching 50 who have already been on finasteride for 15 years would be comfortable adding another oral medication to there regime.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I said I was still shedding 3 months AFTER I stopped using it. I did not say I use it for 3 months.

I tried for 5 months and 11 days (not 3 months) and it did not work because the shed got significantly worse and there was no improvement within 5 months and 11 days. Rogaine recommends to stop it if no improvement within 4 months, accordingly to their website.
"no improvement" that is the problem, how did you meassure the " improvement " If bald areas not go bigger, it is an improvement. I am telling you this not with sarcasm, I did the same stupid things, thinking that if Minoxidil didn't covert me back into a norwood 0 , It was not working.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The container actually does not have the name of the brand. It just says 1mg FS.
How can Janey help? Hi. I am Janey, genius and hair restoration guy of the stars or at least of the trannies, well not really but I try to make treating baldness less painful while this is serious, just coming on here is correlated with bad hair.
janey

Attachments

• Meet_Jane.jpg
    Meet_Jane.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 74