Sublingual oral minoxidil: bioavailability and haemodynamic side effects

Lurker otto

My Regimen
Reaction score
it's the whole theory behind sublingual min. because it is a prodrug in the bloodstream (the inactive form, instead of the active pharmaceutical ingredient), it minimizes hemodynamic effects (bloating, changes in bp, dizziness, etc).

if this is true, you're right.. it's awesome.

in studies regarding oral minoxidil, it was shown that doses around 15-20mg reverse balding significantly... if we could use this high doses without adverse effects, this will be revolutionary! (might not even need such high doses because of sublingual's greater bioavailability)
You are taking sublingual minoxidil 12,5 mg since a week? And no sides? Thats a very good sign.. of course its too early, you need more time for the regrowth, but still..
I though that the thing with oral minoxidil was that the liver converted it to the active form.. but if the theory of sublingual is true, no need for that..

Jackshtbro

My Regimen
Reaction score
it's the whole theory behind sublingual min. because it is a prodrug in the bloodstream (the inactive form, instead of the active pharmaceutical ingredient), it minimizes hemodynamic effects (bloating, changes in bp, dizziness, etc).

if this is true, you're right.. it's awesome.

in studies regarding oral minoxidil, it was shown that doses around 15-20mg reverse balding significantly... if we could use this high doses without adverse effects, this will be revolutionary! (might not even need such high doses because of sublingual's greater bioavailability)
How are you taking it though? Using the drops under the tongue and then spitting it out after a minute? Or do you swallow it after?

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are taking sublingual minoxidil 12,5 mg since a week? And no sides? Thats a very good sign.. of course its too early, you need more time for the regrowth, but still..
I though that the thing with oral minoxidil was that the liver converted it to the active form.. but if the theory of sublingual is true, no need for that..
yes! no sides. I personally think it's a good sign, but it could also mean that liquid solution isn't very well absorbed in the oral mucosa.

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How are you taking it though? Using the drops under the tongue and then spitting it out after a minute? Or do you swallow it after?
exactly, I put .25ml under my tongue with a small syringe, and after 1.5 min. I spit it out, anyway if I swallowed it, and if it works, then more than half should've been absorbed sublingually. Then I just wait to drink water for like 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Paqua

My Regimen
Reaction score
exactly, I put 25ml under my tongue with a small syringe, and after 1.5 min. I spit it out, anyway if I swallowed it, and if it works, then more than half should've been absorbed sublingually. Then I just wait to drink water for like 10 minutes.
you mean 0.25ml of 5% liquid minoxidil under your tongue for 1.5 minutes and then spit it out, right?

I just started oral minoxidil (with swallowing it) today but now I am tempted to try the sublingual way

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes!
you mean 0.25ml of 5% liquid minoxidil under your tongue for 1.5 minutes and then spit it out, right?

I just started oral minoxidil (with swallowing it) today but now I am tempted to try the sublingual way
yes! I've been leaving it under my tongue for 3 minutes aprox. almost one month, and no side effects... only hypertrichosis

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hypertrichosis is severe though... a lot of beard growth, long and thick eyelashes, my eyebrows are connected to my temple points.

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
why do you spit it out?!
sometimes I don't haha, but I spit it out because I'm already on 5mg oral tablets, and to know how much it's working sublingually... anyway, if it works, then more than half should've been absorbed by the oral mucosa.

Paqua

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes!

yes! I've been leaving it under my tongue for 3 minutes aprox. almost one month, and no side effects... only hypertrichosis
sounds very promising, please keep us updated.

you might be the only person trying this right now

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
sometimes I don't haha, but I spit it out because I'm already on 5mg oral tablets, and to know how much it's working sublingually... anyway, if it works, then more than half should've been absorbed by the oral mucosa.
wtf come on man

how can you make any comment on whether sublingual works or doesn't work when you're already taking oral in the background

you've just invalidated everything you said

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
wtf come on man

how can you make any comment on whether sublingual works or doesn't work when you're already taking oral in the background

you've just invalidated everything you said
I know how much hypertrichosis I got from 5mg oral minoxidil... this side effect really appears around the 3 month mark on most studies, and it also did for me.

i will know if sublingual minoxidil is working by the severity of hypertrichosis in the next 2-3 months. (right now I can already see a difference between the facial hair I'm getting and the facial hair oral min was giving me, and I'm only one month in)

and yeah, using only sublingual min would make this anectdotal evidence more reliable, but i don't want to prove myself right... I just want my hair.

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
sounds very promising, please keep us updated.

you might be the only person trying this right now
i have high hopes on this... I only have early diffuse thinning. if I get the results I'm expecting, I'll make a post for sure.

there is other guy in tressless, but he is on 6.5 mg daily... he is getting nice results.

I think that sublingual min will be revolutionary! having dose dependent growth and minimizing hemodynamic effects.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hypertrichosis is severe though... a lot of beard growth, long and thick eyelashes, my eyebrows are connected to my temple points.
damn i'm espifically looking for eyelashes and eyebrow hypertrichosis . what's the minimum dose of oral min that i'd have to use to get that?

Paqua

My Regimen
Reaction score
i have high hopes on this... I only have early diffuse thinning. if I get the results I'm expecting, I'll make a post for sure.

there is other guy in tressless, but he is on 6.5 mg daily... he is getting nice results.

I think that sublingual min will be revolutionary! having dose dependent growth and minimizing hemodynamic effects.
did the guy on tressless do a post? I cannot find anything.

by the way I understood it this way that you got hemodynamic side effects when you accidently took 10mg of oral minoxidil and now on 5mg oral minoxidil and 12.5mg sublingual minoxidil you do not get these hemodynamic side effects. is that correct?

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
did the guy on tressless do a post? I cannot find anything.

by the way I understood it this way that you got hemodynamic side effects when you accidently took 10mg of oral minoxidil and now on 5mg oral minoxidil and 12.5mg sublingual minoxidil you do not get these hemodynamic side effects. is that correct?
noo he mentioned it in a comment about someone using 100 mg hahaha.

and yes, exactly.. I had some dizziness and mild face bloating with 10 mg. but no sides atm.

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm experiencing much more severe hypertrichosis... It definitely wasn't as sever on oral tablets alone.

my eyelashes are much thicker and longer, i've been receiving a LOT of compliments hahaha. My eyebrows are almost connecting with my temple points. I didn't have any beard, well now I have some... arms, legs, even a little bit on my shoulders and forehead. I don't really mind that much about facial and body hair but I'm sure I'm going to get a lot more.

I'm glad to say it has helped. I estimate that my hair started miniaturizing since I was 16, I noticed early signs of Androgenetic Alopecia in a female pattern when I was 18, I started doing some research and after 6 months, when I was sure I had Androgenetic Alopecia, as It had gotten worse, I started taking finasteride 1.25mg daily. It stopped the process of miniaturization and reduced my shedding. after 7-8 months I started oral min.

I started noticing SOME improvement just one month ago, my part and crown were mildly closing in and my shedding went to almost nothing. right now thickening is more discernible at plain sight, as I have good quality pictures to compare. My overall density is clearly improving. I'm excited to reach the 6-7 months, as I expect this initial improvement to be followed by a much better one.

I have to add that my hair still feels and looks thiner than it should be... the current thickening is only as much so that I can definitely distinguish a difference. I don't think sublingual min has had a significant impact on scalp hair yet, but this kind of facial hair makes me think it will.

I've dropped my sublingual dose to 7.5mg. I take the abrupt increase of hypertrichosis to be a sing that the drug is working. I didn't experience hemodynamic side effects.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
So you guys doing sublingual are doing so to 1.) avoid the liver breaking down the drug so you can use less for similar results and 2.) to avoid the side effects like fluid retention, fatigue, etc..?

ive been off oral min for about 7 months and I’m JUST NOW starting to regain composure. That drug DESTROYED my face. Under eye bags, fluid in forehead/upper eye lids, crippling fatigue.. sh*t was intense. Hair growth was unreal though. Grew thicker than ever in my life. My hair regrew better than it did in high school and went from an undercut to full blown surf like chin length hair in 6 months lol.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you guys doing sublingual are doing so to 1.) avoid the liver breaking down the drug so you can use less for similar results and 2.) to avoid the side effects like fluid retention, fatigue, etc..?

ive been off oral min for about 7 months and I’m JUST NOW starting to regain composure. That drug DESTROYED my face. Under eye bags, fluid in forehead/upper eye lids, crippling fatigue.. sh*t was intense. Hair growth was unreal though. Grew thicker than ever in my life. My hair regrew better than it did in high school and went from an undercut to full blown surf like chin length hair in 6 months lol.

Never had any sides on 10mg oral minoxidil other than water retention which spironolactone takes care of, what was your dosage?