Sublingual oral minoxidil: bioavailability and haemodynamic side effects

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very interesting overview. Seems like this will be the future for oral min therapy. Unfortunately it’s still only limited to Dr. Sinclair’s practice as it needs to be specially compounded into strips. Also somewhat unclear just how much higher a dose is required for those who lack enough of the enzyme in the scalp.

Have any of you minoxidil “drinkers” out there noticed improved results/reduced side effects with the sublingual method? Also wondering if dissolving an oral min tablet under your tongue would produce the same results.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can probably just dissolve the tablet under your tongue if you want to mimic this like you said. Maybe liquid minoxidil too.

I’m not exactly interested in the side effect talk, but rather the effectiveness of it vs oral minoxidil. It seems like he’s saying that rather than relying on the liver to convert minoxidil into its bioavailable form, sublingual minoxidil would depend on the hair follicles’ enzyme to do the conversion.

However, unlike the limitations of topical minoxidil for low enzyme people, you can increase your dosage and get a better hair growth effect perhaps because it’s more bioavailable in the hair follicle.

Might be interesting to do 2.5mg minoxidil orally and then another 2.5mg minoxidil under the tongue

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
is there an advantage side wise?
Based on the presentation it appears the sublingual method prevents or minimizes any blood pressure/edema/heart related side effects. Personally, after 2 months I’m finding the leg and ankle swelling to be somewhat annoying but still perfectly manageable (at 2.5mg/day). I do wonder how my body will react once I increase the dosage in the future. Would be nice to avoid it altogether.

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can probably just dissolve the tablet under your tongue if you want to mimic this like you said. Maybe liquid minoxidil too.

I’m not exactly interested in the side effect talk, but rather the effectiveness of it vs oral minoxidil. It seems like he’s saying that rather than relying on the liver to convert minoxidil into its bioavailable form, sublingual minoxidil would depend on the hair follicles’ enzyme to do the conversion.

However, unlike the limitations of topical minoxidil for low enzyme people, you can increase your dosage and get a better hair growth effect perhaps because it’s more bioavailable in the hair follicle.

Might be interesting to do 2.5mg minoxidil orally and then another 2.5mg minoxidil under the tongue
Yes considering Sinclair has been using oral min in their practice for many years it would’ve been easy to provide a comparison of effectiveness between the two methods. I assume that info was not shared since they hold the patent on the sublingual strips and want to hype the treatment.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Based on the presentation it appears the sublingual method prevents or minimizes any blood pressure/edema/heart related side effects. Personally, after 2 months I’m finding the leg and ankle swelling to be somewhat annoying but still perfectly manageable (at 2.5mg/day). I do wonder how my body will react once I increase the dosage in the future. Would be nice to avoid it altogether.
do you get unwanted body hair from it?

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
do you get unwanted body hair from it?

Not really so far. I think my leg hair may have grown slightly but it’s difficult to tell. I suspect my eyebrows and eye lashes grew slightly. I have no upper body hair at all and that has not changed.

LouisSarkozy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Based on the presentation it appears the sublingual method prevents or minimizes any blood pressure/edema/heart related side effects. Personally, after 2 months I’m finding the leg and ankle swelling to be somewhat annoying but still perfectly manageable (at 2.5mg/day). I do wonder how my body will react once I increase the dosage in the future. Would be nice to avoid it altoge

Not really so far. I think my leg hair may have grown slightly but it’s difficult to tell. I suspect my eyebrows and eye lashes grew slightly. I have no upper body hair at all and that has not changed.
is there any way from someone in europe to get his hand on sublingual min?

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
is there any way from someone in europe to get his hand on sublingual min?
144433.png

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doctors just trying to make money in a 40 years old drug . Nothing really new, nothing backed by science . Want more minoxidil sulfate active in your scalp ? use tretinoin . Period. The oral is a none sense, and worst the sublingual . Sublingual, first is not for all the drugs, second if for act faster ( example, alprazolam for a panic attack ) and it is for bypass liver ( in case the drug is fucked by the liver ) . Well, guess what ? none of this happen with minoxidil !

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the video.

Since you currently have a side effect (albeit a minor one) from the oral intake of minoxidil then you would be a perfect test case for the sublingual administration of the same. If you tried the same dose sublingually and the edema would disappear then you'd know that this manner is superior to oral.

I was impressed by the chart at ~ 8:00 in. Even at a tiny dose 0.45 mg there were noticeable benefits. I know that in a previous trial they began at that dose and only doubled it after a few months for some patients.

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am definitely considering testing it out at some point in the future but I am still early into treatment. I want to see how effective the current method is for me before making any changes.

The results in that chart at ~4mg definitely caught my attention.

I really would like to see any studies of long term usage of oral min (2, 5, 10yrs). Dr Sinclair and Pathomvanich are the only ones I know of who have been consistently prescribing it to patients for that long but I can’t seem to find anything from them beyond 6-9months. I’ve only read conflicting reports from the few long time users on the forums.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am definitely considering testing it out at some point in the future but I am still early into treatment. I want to see how effective the current method is for me before making any changes.

The results in that chart at ~4mg definitely caught my attention.

I really would like to see any studies of long term usage of oral min (2, 5, 10yrs). Dr Sinclair and Pathomvanich are the only ones I know of who have been consistently prescribing it to patients for that long but I can’t seem to find anything from them beyond 6-9months. I’ve only read conflicting reports from the few long time users on the forums.
Jesus, dude, I will sell you a rock for 1000 usd. Will regrowth your hair, no side effect. Can you send me the 1000 usd ? I already sent you the rock , it is in your backyard.
Lol

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why they didn't make a place control double blind study ? one with topical or even better, oral minoxidil and the other with sublingual minoxidil ? In fact, there is not even a single study done in this way comparing oral to topical , not a single one study in a drug that was develop in early 80s and have 100s of studies done on male pattern baldness. But next ? a n a l minoxidil ?

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hey there! I've been taking oral minoxidil 5mg for about 3 months... one day I took the pill twice and I got dizzy and my face bloated.

I thought I'd be a great test subject. A week ago I added 12.5mg (.25ml) of sublingual (Kirkland) minoxidil. I use topical because it dissolves faster, I leave it under my tongue for 1.5 minutes. so far I haven't noticed any dizziness or water retention.

I will try this dose for a few weeks, and see if I get hemodynamic adverse effects, like the ones from high doses of oral tablets.

I will also be looking for more hypertrichosis to know if minoxidil solution is well absorbed by the oral mucosa, and actually works through this route of administration. (I already have marked hypertrichosis).

because it is a prodrug in the bloodstream, sublingual minoxidil minimizes hemodynamic effects. if should be safe at higher doses... this treatment could be revolutionary.

Last edited:

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hey there! I've been taking oral minoxidil 5mg for about 3 months... one day I took the pill twice and I got dizzy and my face bloated.

I thought I'd be a great test subject. A week ago I added 12.5mg (.25ml) of sublingual (Kirkland) minoxidil. I use topical because it dissolves faster, I leave it under my tongue for 1.5 minutes. so far I haven't noticed any dizziness or water retention.

I will try this dose for a few weeks, and see if I get hemodynamic adverse effects, like the ones from high doses of oral tablets.

I will also be looking for more hypertrichosis to know if minoxidil solution is well absorbed by the oral mucosa, and actually works through this route of administration. (I already have marked hypertrichosis).

because it is a prodrug in the bloodstream, sublingual minoxidil minimizes hemodynamic effects. if it is safe at higher doses (10-20mg), this treatment could be revolutionary.
Did you notice any improvements in your scalp hair quality from the 5mg pill? (before you added sublingual). A daily 5mg pill plus 0.25ml sublingual dose is quite a lot of oral min daily! Will be interesting to see how you tolerate this. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you believe sublingual minoxidil could work for hair but without sides like bloating or cardiac?
Awesome if true
I’m hopeful it will work but of course will remain skeptical until the results of Sinclair’s study can be reliably reproduced.

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you notice any improvements in your scalp hair quality from the 5mg pill? (before you added sublingual). A daily 5mg pill plus 0.25ml sublingual dose is quite a lot of oral min daily! Will be interesting to see how you tolerate this. Please keep us posted. Thanks.
I have early diffuse thinning. I did notice some regrowth, (specially in my crown) but nothing substantial yet. I think that diffuse thinners have to wait longer to see a clear improvement.

and yes, It is quite a big dose... I will only test it for no longer than a month. just to really see how much it works, and how safe it is. then I will be lowering the sublingual dose to half. I will update on this in a few weeks.

Last edited:

cetm-419

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you believe sublingual minoxidil could work for hair but without sides like bloating or cardiac?
Awesome if true
it's the whole theory behind sublingual min. because it is a prodrug in the bloodstream (the inactive form, instead of the active pharmaceutical ingredient), it minimizes hemodynamic effects (bloating, changes in bp, dizziness, etc).

if this is true, you're right.. it's awesome.

in studies regarding oral minoxidil, it was shown that doses around 15-20mg reverse balding significantly... if we could use this high doses without adverse effects, this will be revolutionary! (might not even need such high doses because of sublingual's greater bioavailability)