styling products with thickening/volumizing effect

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since there was a good discussion on these boards about styling products with a good thickening/volumizing effect. The two most popular ones here seem to be Got2B Chaotic Putty (discontinued) and Garnier Fructis Surf Hair Texture Paste. What else have you guys tried and/or what are you presently using? I'm talking specifically about styling product with a thickening effect, not products that are used solely to give the appearance of thicker hair.

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested what any users with longer hair use, I have such a tough time styling it but I really dont wanna cut mine down :'(

Surf hair leaves mine feeling nasty, but can make it look decent :thumbdown2:

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
I kind of agree about the Surf Hair - it sometimes looks ok but I don't like the way my hair feels when I use it. It's really tough to find something that works. Goldwell Lagoom is pretty good too but it's a gel and leaves your hair a little hard and crunchy - I'm not a huge fan of that either. I like products that give you a matte to natural finish (no wet look) and that don't make you look like you have a ton of product in your hair.

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Aussie Leave-in Conditioning Milk quite a lot at the moment, I'm still not sure weather I like it though, but it makes my hair a lot easier to manage and less fly away.. I hate the wind messing my hair up. =/ It doesn't actually provide that much hold though to be honest, so probably useless for shorter haired peoples.

Also it feels good, I hate having people run their hands through my hair but there are times you can't object >_< lol.

I read about Blood of the Dragon gel before, it might be my next buy, it's not full of nasty chemicals.. blah blah

Interesting webshopthing though, check it out

http://morroccomethod.com/styling

I just think it sounds cool =]

Swanson

Established Member
Reaction score
When i had longer hair.... i used the axe "messy" pomade paste.... it made your hair look natural and still held it in place, and i think it made it appear much thicker

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
Where do you get it, Cassin? I can not find at my local Walmart/Target/Kmart (ya, all 3 within 10 miles of me).

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
Swanson said:
When i had longer hair.... i used the axe "messy" pomade paste.... it made your hair look natural and still held it in place, and i think it made it appear much thicker

I'm surprised that you like this stuff. I had bought some a while back (decided to try the whole line) and didn't like it very much. I tried it again the other day and remembered why I didn't like it - not enough hold, makes your hair look and feel very greasy and minimal thickening effect. I guess it's different for everyone but this stuff is definitely not good for my hair.

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Everyone's hair is different and reacts differently to products.

Cassin is talking about the Aveda pure abundance line. I have recently tried the shampoo and conditioner for the first time and while they definitely do thicken, for me there is nothing like the Jason Thin-to-Thick shampoo... I believe Cassin has tried this also but prefers the Aveda.

Best styling products in my experience are: Kevin Murphy Sticky Business (easy to apply and wash out, pliable hold, matt-ish, thickens and separates); MOP Orange Peel Moulding Cream (easy to apply but a little waxy is slightly more difficult to wash out, excellently pliable and matt hold, thickens quite well); Got2B Chaos (a dream to apply and wash out, though high-shine and I don't think it's made anymore...)

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
Def said:
Everyone's hair is different and reacts differently to products.

Cassin is talking about the Aveda pure abundance line. I have recently tried the shampoo and conditioner for the first time and while they definitely do thicken, for me there is nothing like the Jason Thin-to-Thick shampoo... I believe Cassin has tried this also but prefers the Aveda.

Best styling products in my experience are: Kevin Murphy Sticky Business (easy to apply and wash out, pliable hold, matt-ish, thickens and separates); MOP Orange Peel Moulding Cream (easy to apply but a little waxy is slightly more difficult to wash out, excellently pliable and matt hold, thickens quite well); Got2B Chaos (a dream to apply and wash out, though high-shine and I don't think it's made anymore...)

Excellent post - thank you! I have used the Pure Abundance shampoo myself and do like it; however, I wasn't aware of any styling products other than the Hair Potion and the Hair Spray.

I have not used the Sticky Business product but I may give it a try. I did use the MOP product years ago but honestly don't even recall if I liked it (I must not have though since I have not used it in years). I'm going to try it again though since my hair may have changed since then and my style certainly has. The Chaotic Putty was great for thickening but that's all it did for me, so I'm not upset that it has been discontinued.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I tried the MOP Orange Peel Molding Cream again yesterday - not a fan. I didn't notice much of a thickening effect and I found the product to be too greasy. It actually reminds me a lot of American Crew Fiber (even smells the same to me). Tons of people love Fiber too so I really think my hair is just difficult to work with. I've tried so many different products, yet I still haven't found one that consistently works for me. I'm going to try that Sticky Business stuff that Def mentioned as well. In the meantime, keep the recommendations coming guys! Thanks.

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks like I'm having a conversation with myself here, but that's ok. Anyway, I tried the Sticky Business and didn't like it at all - not much of a thickening effect, not enough hold, and I could also see little white specs of product in my hair after I applied it. Does anyone want to buy a barely-used container of Kevin Murphy Sticky.Business? :)

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
I know I'm bumping a thread that's almost a year old but i wanted to see if anyone has found any new styling products that they really like. Have you guys found anything that you like enough to use every day or at least on a very consistent basis?

pacinom

Reaction score
Psywzrd,

I've been using the Aveda spray for the past 1 year and Jason thin to thick spray before that. Both of them worked quite well. With Aveda spray its difficult to style so once i comb my hair a certain way i spray it on to give it a thicker appearance and i am done. Same with Jason thin to thick.
I am a diffuse thinner on the top so I cant use much of those wet products as they expose my scalp. So i am always looking out for matter textured finishing products that are easier to apply. Infact I am just scared of touching or rubbing something in my hair so I stick to sprays so i dont have to use my fingers.

I havent found anything better than these two and i ve tried some l'oreal and Got2b and garnier products.

If you know of anything even better than the ones i tried let me know! specially sprays or wax or anything else.

litcII

Reaction score
Right now I am using mostly Aveda Grooming Clay. It does seem to make my hair look thicker, and it leaves a matte finish as well.
I also occasionally use Alberto moussing gel. This actually does a better thickening job than the Grooming Clay I think, but I've noticed that when it dries it becomes kind of rubberish. Not sure if it's good to leave that in your hair for extended periods of time.

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just invested in some Jason's Thin-to-Thick shampoo and some Got2b chaotic putty. Haven't used it yet mind you but will do this weekend so I'll let you know how I find it.

geordie81

Reaction score
After doing a bit of reading on here alot people have raved about how good got2b chaotic is and then more recent posts suggests that this product no longer exists but it's all over the net, even on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Got2b-3440666-C ... B002CB81HY

Is this the right one? I Notice it says it's mulding gum but I think I read somewhere on here that it was a putty. Is this one different to the original good one?

One final question, is it good for thickening and holding a spiky style?

psywzrd

Established Member
Reaction score
geordie81 said:
After doing a bit of reading on here alot people have raved about how good got2b chaotic is and then more recent posts suggests that this product no longer exists but it's all over the net, even on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Got2b-3440666-C ... B002CB81HY

Is this the right one? I Notice it says it's mulding gum but I think I read somewhere on here that it was a putty. Is this one different to the original good one?

One final question, is it good for thickening and holding a spiky style?

Man, I don't know if that's the same thing or not. The other one is definitely called Chaotic Putty, not moulding gum. Maybe they just have a different name for the same thing in the UK? If it is the same thing, it's great for thickening but I would not say it's great for a spiky style. It gives you more of a poofy kind of look which I personally do not like at all.