Stumptailed Macaque study-----RU58841 noticeably better than

michael barry

Reaction score
http://books.google.com/books?id=ODBLQc ... #PPA461,M1

On page 461, you can see the author detail that RU58841 produces "marked hair regrowth" on the macaques heads. Finasteride increased hairweights by about 25% and some regrowth, 4MA- which is a topical alpha five reductase inhibitor, stopped further hairloss, and MK386--which is a alpha five reductase type one inhibitor that results in less sebum..............really had little effect on the progression of Alopecia in the macaques.

The conclusion is clear though. Ru58841 would be the best product for baldness if one could obtain it. If someone used topical RU58841 with finasteride, they'd probably keep what they had for the rest of their life other than just senescent thinning.

Interestingly, serum DHT might play a role in baldness---at least a small one. Finasteride's performance was better than 4MA's performance was because finas did regrow a little hair. 4MA just stopped further baldness.

Im suprised STILL that no company has tried to buy RU58841 and sell it via the internet or whatever for a reasonable price. A LOT of men would spray something on their heads that pretty much assured them of keeping their hair with no internal side effects. A combo of RU58841 and topical 4MA would be a super-topical anti-androgen combo. Young men would probably never lose their hair with it. What a shame.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Are there are studies that prove that topical usage of RU has NO sexual(or other) side effects?

michael barry

Reaction score
hormonal levels are unchanged in the macaques with the ru58841------no sides in them anyway....serum dht is the same, etc,

el_duterino

Reaction score
i am using RU58841 once a day, with dutasteride & fluridil. started RU 2 months ago.
i am confident that RU does not give any major side effects, at least the types that can be clearly noticed.
i had sometimes low libido, brain fog and tiredeness on topical flutamide after 2 months. those flutamide sides were "bearable" but RU is clearly better, and in terms of hair results too.

if i had no access to RU, I would still use Flutamide though.

Anything that blocks the AR is good, as it shuts off DHT type 1&2 AND testosterone.

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
is it true that RU is in clinical trials under a different name, its now being called PSK 3841 ?

michael barry

Reaction score
is it true that RU is in clinical trials under a different name, its now being called PSK 3841 ?

I just looked into that and apparently that is the case-------------its being tested in Europe, phase 2 either about to start or has started.

A problem with the topical seems to be that moisture can really interefere with its stability according to the article I looked at. . So I guess it will have to be kept in a spray pump or some kind of bottle-contained dropper where the solution never sees air so it wont chemically degrade or whatever. Im glad they are doing human testing over there though. Maybe it will turn out to be as good as dutasteride with no side effects, which would be great for us.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
MK386--which is a alpha five reductase type one inhibitor that results in less sebum....

Michael, I emphasize again that I've never seen or heard of a study which showed that MK386 reduces sebum production. While it's not out of the question that it _may_ do that, we should be cautious about making such assumptions. Or have you in fact seen such a study that I missed? :)

michael barry said:
Im suprised STILL that no company has tried to buy RU58841 and sell it via the internet or whatever for a reasonable price. A LOT of men would spray something on their heads that pretty much assured them of keeping their hair with no internal side effects. A combo of RU58841 and topical 4MA would be a super-topical anti-androgen combo. Young men would probably never lose their hair with it. What a shame.

My guess is that there's a fear that it would eventually be made a prescription drug, and nobody would pay the HUGE cost of getting FDA approval for it.

As for 4MA, I believe there's a risk of systemic absorption with it, which obviously would be a downside for the drug.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
sphlanx2006 said:
Are there are studies that prove that topical usage of RU has NO sexual(or other) side effects?

The material in that link that Michael posted shows the first (slight) systemic effect of topical RU58841 that I've ever heard of, but it doesn't appear to be very significant. I have copies of almost all the available RU studies, and there's no indication in any of them of any "non-local" effect of topical RU58841. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
BlahBlah12 said:

Yes, although I'm not sure if it's still IN clinical trials. The company now licensed to test it has apparently at least done that in the past, and their link has been posted several times on hairloss sites, although I don't have it right at hand at the moment. The implication in what they say on their Web site is that topical RU58841 is about as effective as Propecia, or maybe even a bit better. And without the side effects, of course! :)