study dutasteride vs. finasteride (Bryan)

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
bryan in another thread you posted this study....if your remember awhile back i asked you if you thought it was possible someone could respond better to dutasteride than to finasteride and you told me no.

In light of this study that you recently posted...has your stance changed at all?....could someone possibly respond better to finasteride?

Peter Mac on hlh still believes some people respond better to finasteride...I am very curious as to what you think....I have been trying to get your attention at the other thread to no avail.

If you dont remember this was the study:
http://jme.endocrinology-journals.org/c ... l/34/3/617

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride works by inhibiting type 2 5AR.

dutasteride inhibits more type 2 5AR, plus type 1 as well.

How can ppl respond better to finasteride than dutasteride? I dont think it is possible, since both work by inhibiting type 1 5AR.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So maybe taking both finasteride and dutasteride at the same time isnt redundant after all?

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Overall, the dual 5{alpha}-reductase inhibitor, dutasteride, has higher affinity for steroid 5{alpha}-reductase type II than finasteride, irrespective of genotype. Dutasteride is also expected to result in lower pharmacogenetic variation than finasteride in vivo, since it displays significantly lower pharmacogenetic variation of the apparent Ki than finasteride in the 30-min assays (see below; Tables 1Go and 2Go). Thus, this compound may also be a better choice in vivo.

That'll do for me... :)

CCS

Reaction score
I doubt you guys understood that study.

It just said there are two types of 5AR, 1 and 2. Finasteride only inhibits type 2, and dutasteride inhibits both, though not the type 1 too well.

The test was done on the prostate. Says nothing about hair follicles. I'm sure Bryan is not responding because he is tired of repeating himself to people who don't care enough about biochemistry to listen to any of the 1000x he and I have explained this over an over.

Read my web site. I'm done. Oh, and maximal inhibition happens in about 1-2 hours.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
NO ccs u misread the study....read it again...there are different variants of the 5arII enzyme...different genotypes....dutasteride takes care of most genotypes but there were 2 variants that finasteride did a better job of inhibiting....in another thread bryan said that dutasteride would be more EFFECTIVE for everyone....but this study says otherwise...its possible that finasteride could have a better effect on A FEW people.

re-read it ccs...

CCS

Reaction score
stampede said:
Overall, the dual 5{alpha}-reductase inhibitor, dutasteride, has higher affinity for steroid 5{alpha}-reductase type II than finasteride, irrespective of genotype. Dutasteride is also expected to result in lower pharmacogenetic variation than finasteride in vivo, since it displays significantly lower pharmacogenetic variation of the apparent Ki than finasteride in the 30-min assays (see below; Tables 1Go and 2Go). Thus, this compound may also be a better choice in vivo.

That'll do for me... :)

that means nothing.

CCS

Reaction score
well, I'm taking both right now.

CCS

Reaction score
I doubt there is any interaction. I take them both with grapefruit. I'm going to drop the dutas though since it is not stronger. I may save it and just use it when I run out of proscar, but I don't trust it 100% like i do the proscar. So maybe I should sell it. 80 dutas for $60.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How can dutasteride not be stringer than finasteride?

Even the studies show more hair growth on dutasteride than finasteride. Esp when you take larger doses like 2mg +...

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
Well... anything is possible.

For example I responded better to PROPECIA than GENERIC finasteride...

PD: Let's see who is the first idiot to quote this message and makes a joke.

CCS

Reaction score
blaze said:
How can dutasteride not be stringer than finasteride?

Even the studies show more hair growth on dutasteride than finasteride. Esp when you take larger doses like 2mg +...

at the 6 month mark, not the 1 year mark. They are all the same at the one year mark, it seems. Maybe some lower doses take longer. I'm sure some low doses don't help at all, like those that don't regrow any hair. but anything that is at least as strong as 1mg of finasteride, or maybe even 0.2mg, seems to catch up to dutasteride in the long run.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I doubt there is any interaction. I take them both with grapefruit. I'm going to drop the dutas though since it is not stronger. I may save it and just use it when I run out of proscar, but I don't trust it 100% like i do the proscar. So maybe I should sell it. 80 dutas for $60.

Didn't even know about the grapefruit juice thing. Do you take it on an empty stomach? Maybe it's better to take it at night..or before fasted cardio :lol:

Tips...
To increase absorption of Finasteride and help avoid any loss of that precious 1 - 1.25mg due to digestion; preferably take on an empty stomach ( officially Proscar can be taken with or without food ) with a glass of grapefruit juice. Grapefruit juice contains substances which inhibit certain digestive enzymes that break down Finasteride thus boosting ( more or less doubling ) your bloodsteam uptake of the drug.

jbob

Reaction score
when you say that 1mg of finasteride catches up to dutasteride, is this with reference to .5mg dt or the full2.5 dose. Do yo mind if I ask which studies show these figures? Cheers