Study claims success with 1mg finasteride every other month

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe some people could try taking a less frequent dose of 1mg once a week or even once every 2 weeks, instead of the lowered EOD or 3 times a week doses that seem more common, be interesting to see if its tolerated any differently.

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did 0.25mg every 3 days and amazingly still got side effects. Those pills are no joke.
why wousk you not, 0.25mg still nukes your dht by 55% sure it rises somewhat in a day but its dtill probably 50%+ reduces most of the time. i am using topical 1mg which means 0.1mg oral and i also still have sides. probably topical low dose every second day might work but honestly this sh*t is so potent its kind of absurd

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
why wousk you not, 0.25mg still nukes your dht by 55% sure it rises somewhat in a day but its dtill probably 50%+ reduces most of the time. i am using topical 1mg which means 0.1mg oral and i also still have sides. probably topical low dose every second day might work but honestly this sh*t is so potent its kind of absurd
Be the guinea pig......try taking a single dose of 1mg once every 2 weeks and see if you still get sides.

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@md2002 mentioned a few months ago he had tapered down to just taking it once a week (1mg), and hasn't noticed any difference.

Theoretically if people are saying finasteride's half life is 30 days in the tissue, then there could still be some left in the tissue if you left 60 days between doses, but that must be kind of pushing it to the max, as if you flick through past forum posts there are plenty of people who have induced a shed (3 months later) after taking a break for a month or two.

I think there is too many variables in play to draw a one size fits all conclusion, but people are probably taking more than they need to.
reality is if there is enoigh finasteride in scalp tissue left there is enoigh in penile tissue left too. serum dht matters as little for sides as it does for hairloss, the dht in your dick or your brain tissue is what counts.

but for me after 3 weeks off finasteride i start shedding a LOT and the itch starts again. once a month is not enoigh i think

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Be the guinea pig......try taking a single dose of 1mg once every 2 weeks and see if you still get sides.
nah id rather experiment with topical finasteride microdosing. i will never take a finasteride tablet ever again, f*** that sh*t

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
nah id rather experiment with topical finasteride microdosing. i will never take a finasteride tablet ever again, f*** that sh*t
Do what suits you best, but the reality is without a long break between doses . regular Topical or oral use is still likely to build up regardless of the size of the dose.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
but for me after 3 weeks off finasteride i start shedding a LOT and the itch starts again. once a month is not enoigh i think
Yes, 2 weeks is about as long, as i can safely take a break for.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would never ever think that i would be able to swallow dutasteride like they were tick tacks. I now decided to stay on 2.5mg which is 5 pills 3 times weekly. And topical dutasteride twice weekly.

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do what suits you best, but the reality is without a long break between doses . regular Topical or oral use is still likely to build up regardless of the size of the dose.
this is just fake news and you do not knownwhat you are talking about sadly. why are people this stupid? finasteride has a verx short half life. at a certain ppint nothing is "built up" and in fact with low dose topical maximum suppression is reached after 2 weeks(randomized placrbo controlled trial doible blinded)

the problem is not that it BuiLdS Up. it does to some extent but washout and buildup will cancel each other out. its not likr with 0.25mg oral finasteride you will ever gez the same serum suppression you get with 5mg. not if yiu take it a hundred years. the problem is that small doses inhibit enough akready, 0.05mg oral inhibits a whopping 55% of serum dht which is nuts at its just 25% less than the 100th dose. howeverfor this it does not have to build up long, this is achieved within 3-4 days already actually

the trick is to cancer out build up by taking days off and using low enough doses so you never cross a certain threshold. with finasteride that margin is very slim because it inhibits dht almost like a step function, bareky at tiny doses of 0.01mg but potent 55% at 0.05mg.

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you literally have a RPCT at you hand that show what you say is not true but reality is not importang tk you, facts do not matter

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would never ever think that i would be able to swallow dutasteride like they were tick tacks. I now decided to stay on 2.5mg which is 5 pills 3 times weekly. And topical dutasteride twice weekly.
meanwhile i get complete deatruction of libido and severe ED on 0.2mg oral finasteride every secons day or 1mg topical

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
this is just fake news and you do not knownwhat you are talking about sadly. why are people this stupid? finasteride has a verx short half life. at a certain ppint nothing is "built up" and in fact with low dose topical maximum suppression is reached after 2 weeks(randomized placrbo controlled trial doible

the trick is to cancer out build up by taking days off and using low enough doses so you never cross a certain threshold. with finasteride that margin is very slim because it inhibits dht almost like a step function, bareky at tiny doses of 0.01mg but potent 55% at 0.05mg.

Regardless of how people word it, Alot of the people who are in the unfortunate situation where they get really really bad sides from oral finasteride, also experience the same after a while on topical.

Hence the reason they dont use finasteride in any form.

But If you can find a dose that works for yourself than that is great.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyway this thread is about whether you can maintain on a less frequent dose of oral finasteride.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
My wife and I are trying to have a baby. So this is f*****g annoying.

@Armando Jose do you think 1 hit a month without doing the daily would do anything to maintain your hair / slow hair loss as opposed to “maintain any finasteride gains”…
Really I dont know,...,
BTW a baby in the family is wonderful

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i have acquired the full mozzarella study on topical finasteride nd they measured DHT every 3 months, they observed no significant changes in testosterone, free T and DHT in the finasteride group but did notice a change in quality of hair in the finasteride group. 0.005% 1ml twice a day. sample group was young men 20-35 yo with Norwood 3s on average, the measure efficacy not in terminal hair count but in how many hairs where lost during a "washing test" they performed. finasteride decreased this "shedding" during washing significantly P-value <0.0001, personal opinion was also favorable of finasteride and researchers observed and increase in pigmentation of lighter hairs (a sign of deminiaturization). the trend in decrease of shedding was continued and likely did continue after the 16 month protocol. study is single blinded, small sample size however, not the best study but not completely worthless either

i am currently trying 10 times the dose they used, 0.05% topical finasteride 2ml and it definitely works. I do have side effects however which is not really that surprising as even if just 10-20% is absorbed this nukes 55% of dht already. a 1/10th of this dose I am not sure how effective it is but should not have any side especially if you take days off to avoid any accumulation(like take it 6 days a week for example as the dose is so low and the half life is so short, in a day finasteride was basically be eliminated from your body)

I think this makes more sense than once a month. I mean, lets be real, there is actually no evidence of this "finasteride sticks around much longer in tissue ip to 30 days". where do you think finasteride resides normally? its not like its swimming around in serum, DHT IS a paracrine hormone, when you stop taking finasteride after 5-6 days DHT is normal levels again. this accounts for tissue DHT as well because the blood you draw, the DHT it contains is just leakage from tissue. DHT is not an endocrine hormone (its not release into the blood unlike T of HGH e.g) but what you find in blood is leakage from local tissue. so if finasteride sticked around 30 days in tissue this makes no sense as serum DHT would take a month to climb back at least.

when I get off of finasteride it takes 2-3 weeks for shedding and itch to come back. when I get on it again it takes 2 days until the itch is gone. I am amazed how consistent this is and how some doctors still deny that a hair loss itch exists. it definitely does

so i do not think this protocol here is applicable. however I do think that for everyone some kind of protocol can be found, this might not be as effective as oral 1mg every day but if you cannot tolerate it then that does not matter. a 20-30% reduction in scalp DHT is no 65% dht reduction(oral finasteride) but it sure is better than nothing and might aid slow down until it can be combined with a new treatment

MaestroTR

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
is there any chance to take dutasteride without any side effect if you got pretty bad sides from finasteride (1mg daily, 1mg eod, 0.5 eod nothing worked)

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
is there any chance to take dutasteride without any side effect if you got pretty bad sides from finasteride (1mg daily, 1mg eod, 0.5 eod nothing worked)
There are anecdotal examples over the past 20 years of people who didn’t tolerate Finasteride well but were able to tolerate dutasteride. It’s not fully understood why though. Whether these guys experienced absolutely zero side effects on dutasteride is another story.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
how do you measure the force? Do you use a speed camera or something to measure the acceleration as it leaves your body?
He has a giant, laminated ruler on the floor of his bedroom. When he's about to ejaculate, he runs over to the start position and measures how far he shoots his gob. Then he notes the result in the log and publishes on TikTok.

Last edited:

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not debating the validity of any of this as by choosing to take oral finasteride on a daily basis for decades, its not something i'm subscribing to.

But for completeness to the topic in the OP, i'll add this.

I mean, lets be real, there is actually no evidence of this "finasteride sticks around much longer in tissue up to 30 days". where do you think finasteride resides normally? its not like its swimming around in serum
I take it the Dr.s claiming finasteride has a 30 day half life in the follicle, are just referencing something like the following and putting it into layman's terms.

''The mean plasma elimination half-life of finasteride is 6 hours (range, 3 to 16 hours); however, the turnover rate for the type II 5-alpha-reductase enzyme complex is slow, with a turnover half-life of approximately 30 days''

I'm also guessing this would tally in with the reasoning to choose a 60 day interval in the OP study, if indeed that is the interval they used.

when you stop taking finasteride after 5-6 days DHT is normal levels again
Again if you read a bunch of the studies over the last 25 years, they often quote varying figures from one another.

''A single dose of finasteride suppresses serum DHT levels for up to 4 days''

''Upon discontinuation of finasteride, DHT levels return to normal within 14 days.''

''After 24 weeks of treatment Mean percent DHT levels returned to within 20% of baseline with finasteride at week 4''

Most long term users have got to the point where they take alot of these studies with a pinch of salt.

The interest lies in actual real world results like @md2002, which I have already mentioned and whether there are other long term users on here who have been able to maintain on an even less frequent dose than his 1mg a week.

( @badnewsbearer for clarity this is an oral 5-ari thread discussing its use with extended periods between doses, unless you are experimenting with applying topical finasteride once weekly, bi-monthly or at even longer frequency's you are probably discussing its use in the wrong thread)

Last edited: