Study claims success with 1mg finasteride every other month

Dr.Alban

My Regimen
Reaction score
Recently came across a study which claims:

Similar efficacy of maintenance treatment of finasteride 1 mg every other month compared with finasteride 1 mg daily in Korean men with androgenetic alopecia after taking finasteride 1 mg daily for 1 year.​

What’s your take on this? Not applicable to other populations than Asians/Koreans?

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have the full study? Has there ever been a published study comparing Finasteride efficacy by race?

Dr.Alban

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have the full study? Has there ever been a published study comparing Finasteride efficacy by race?
As far as I know no such study has been done before comparing effect vs different populations.
Unfortunately I don’t have access to the full study, I was hoping someone on the forum could shed some light on this study or maybe upload the study.

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
holy sh*t is this my lifefuel? I think ive been having finasteride sides and ive been on it for almost 10 months

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Similar efficacy of maintenance treatment of finasteride 1 mg
every other month compared with finasteride 1 mg daily in
Korean men with androgenetic alopecia after taking finasteride 1
mg daily for 1 year
Ki-Hun Kim, MD, Department of Dermatology, Kyung Hee University Hospital,
Gangdong, Kyung Hee University School of Medicine; Sang-Myung Park, MD, Ye
Jin Lee, MD, PhD, Kyunghee University Hospital, Gangdong; Woo-Young Sim,
MD, PhD, Bark-Lynn Lew, MD, PhD
Background: Finasteride has proved to be an effective treatment for men with Androgenetic Alopecia.
Daily use of finasteride 1 mg for three months or more is necessary before benefit is
observed. Also, treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia, including finasteride 1 mg, should be continued
to treat Androgenetic Alopecia and maintain therapeutic effect.
Objective: To compare the maintenance effect of finasteride 1 mg regimens, daily or
every other months (EOM) use, after taking finasteride 1 mg daily for 1 year.
Methods: We enrolled 23 Korean men with Androgenetic Alopecia who were treated with finasteride 1
mg daily for 1 year. Patients were randomly divided into two groups, and then treated
with finasteride 1 mg for 1 more year. We defined daily group as 9 patients who took
finasteride 1 mg daily and EOM group as 14 patients who took it EOM. Treatment
efficacy was assessed by the investigator’s global assessment. The 5-point scale was
as follows: 4, greatly improved; 3, moderately improved; 2, slightly improved; 1,
unchanged; 0, aggravated.
Results: Two patients (22.2%) showed mild improvement and 6 patients (66.7%)
showed no change in the daily group. Five patients (35.7%) patients showed mild
improvement and 7 patients (50.0%) had no change in the EOM group. There were 1
patient (11%) with aggravation in the daily group and 2 patients (14.3%) with
aggravation in the EOM group.
Conclusions: Maintenance effect of finasteride 1 mg EOM dosage showed similar to
that of finasteride 1 mg daily dosage during 1 year in Korean men with Androgenetic Alopecia, after
taking finasteride 1 mg daily for 1 year

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
They can’t mean a single dose every other month? Like one single daily dose every other month? Initially thought they meant take finasteride daily every other month but it doesn’t read that way. This is bizarre.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
My wife and I are trying to have a baby. So this is f*****g annoying.

@Armando Jose do you think 1 hit a month without doing the daily would do anything to maintain your hair / slow hair loss as opposed to “maintain any finasteride gains”…

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think they actually mean 1mg for the entire month. This boggles the mind.

The abstract was dated Dec 2020 but the full paper has still not been published. The devil is in the details?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't use anything mate. Side effects from everything I try.
Damn mate that sucks. Finasteride and even natural dht blockers gave me eye problems but somehow dutasteride didnt. No lie its a damn miracle honestly. I just have reduced ejaculation force on dutasteride but ever since adding MSM somehow the force is better. This is my only side effect.

AGAmystery

My Regimen
Reaction score
0,05?? "Efficacy was demonstrated for all end points for finasteride at doses of 0.2 mg/day or higher, with 1 and 5 mg demonstrating similar efficacy that was superior to lower doses"

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is a very low number of participants. I don't think it's worth the risk.
When I discontinue dutasteride for more than 2 weeks, the itching of the Androgenetic Alopecia and some deterioration begin.
And it is much more powerful than finasteride

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
Damn mate that sucks. Finasteride and even natural dht blockers gave me eye problems but somehow dutasteride didnt. No lie its a damn miracle honestly. I just have reduced ejaculation force on dutasteride but ever since adding MSM somehow the force is better. This is my only side effect.

how do you measure the force? Do you use a speed camera or something to measure the acceleration as it leaves your body?

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
@md2002 mentioned a few months ago he had tapered down to just taking it once a week (1mg), and hasn't noticed any difference.
I've been on Finasteride for about 25 years and I notice no shedding as time goes by. As I've posted several times in previous posts, I'm now only taking Finasteride once a week and I'm maintaining what I have. I can't explain it but it's working. I been weaning off finasteride for about 5 years. Went from once a day, to every other day (a year or 2), to Mon, Wed, Fri. (maybe 8 months to a year) , to Mon. and Fri. (about a year) and now I only take it on Mondays, been doing just Mondays for about 18 months now

Theoretically if people are saying finasteride's half life is 30 days in the follicle, then there could still be some effect left if you have 60 days between doses, but that must be kind of pushing it to the max, as if you flick through past forum posts there are plenty of people who have induced a shed (3 months later) after taking a break for a month or two.

I think there is too many variables in play to draw a one size fits all conclusion, but people are probably taking more than they need to.

Last edited: