Stopped Nizoral 2% and I lost TONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS of hair

FBaldy

Reaction score
nizoral does make your hair worse if you use it too much, try twice a week... rest of the times baby shampoo work best.

I only used nizoral to stop the itch but after 6 years of using minoxidil my head was use to minoxidil so the itch went away :)

I don't think nizoral promoted or grew new hair tbh but it did give a thicker feel and look to my hair... which last about 5 minutes lol

PhillyCarter

Banned
Reaction score
That's scary!! Nizoral has sulfates in their shampoo that's why I never use them. Sulfates can be very demining to you hair. Try a ketoconazole shampoo that is sulfate free and paraben free. Those are always the safest.

78finn

Reaction score
Is it okay to use nizoral 1 % every day? Maybe 5 days a week is better?

No. Read the description on the pack. It's meant to be used 2-3 times a week max, any more than that and you run the risk of having side effects and scalp problems.

Many people on here saying to leave nizoral in for way longer than prescribed, which is just not great advice...

2-3 times a week is perfect, as the effects of nizoral last a few days.

5 mins on a damp/wet head is easily enough time for the nizoral to work it's way into the hair root and remove build up from the scalp.

Ignore comments made by guys on here that sleep or leave nizoral in for 15+ mins. Really is not good advice.

- - - Updated - - -

You also should not be washing your hair every single day of the week with any product, as it strips the hair of it's natural oils and will leave your hair dry & brittle.

I use nizoral (2%) Mon, Thurs & the rest of the time use Nioxin. Works well.

I Combine that with Rogain, Lipogain and take propecia. I have managed to maintain my hair fairly well so far.

Last edited:

kirk

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair adjusted to nizoral after about six months of regular use. After that, I had stronger darker hair (nizoral does this). It seems there is a "ride it out" phase with this treatment as well - at least for me.

-best regards

MyExperience

Reaction score
I just joined this forum as I have some recent experiences I would like to share.

A little over two years ago, I started minoxodil generic brand combined with finastride. I used them them for 7 and 10 months respectively. I saw negative sexual side effects from the finastride so I stopped taking it. Coupled with that fact that I was still losing hair, I stopped the whole thing and started shaving my head.

5-6 months ago I decided to give rogain foam a try for one last kick at the can. I also started growing out my hair. I should mention that I am 30. The hair was thinned out in the crown and the temples/hairline were weak. After 5 months of rogain I was moderately satisfied with the look. I started using Nizoral 2% as well. That was just ONE week ago.

Over the past week I have used nizoral, 5 times over 7 days, as a substitute for normal shampoo. I typically used dove soap before as it has less harsh chemicals than most shampoos. All of the sudden over the past week my hairline has gotten significantly worse. After a shower, I shed somewhere around 30-40 hairs just by brushing my hair back and forth with my hand. This is unprecedented for me over the past 2 years and even since I started using Rogain foam.

I don't think Nizoral is for everyone. Having said that, the hairs that have been falling are thinner and shorter. One theory could be that the Nizoral is getting rid of the baby hairs the rogain has grown in the past 5 moths in order to make them stronger on the regrowth. Though I thought that was supposed to be the Roagin's job... Or the warning on the Nizoral box is true- you can lose your hair using Nizoral.

Issues are as follows:

1) Does Nizoral work for some people and not for others like most of these other drugs?
2) Should Nizoral be stopped immediately if hair loss is evident from its use (as in my case)?
3) What are the chances that Rogain is doing its job (i.e. shedding weak hairs) after 5-6 months of use and in the same week as my starting to use Nizoral?
4) Does Nizoral also shed hairs like Rogain before it starts to grow thicker hair?
5) Is this boosted rate of hair loss the expected result with Nizoral?

- Thanks for sharing your experiences.

justbrowsing21

Reaction score
I'm also thinking about stopping Nizoral after using 2% 3x a week for a little over a month. My crown seems to be thinning when before it seemed fine. I only started taking it for my temples... It could just be natural male pattern baldness progression/coincidental Idk =/ Not sure what to do really.