Stopped Nizoral 2% and I lost TONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS of hair

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
Putting my $0.02 out there for anyone who questions nizoral 2%

I was using it for about 3-4 months everyday leaving it in my hair for 10-15 min daily. It was making my hair very frizzy so I used a small dab of hair dye conditioner (the one that comes in a tube) after without it getting to my scalp and immediately rinsed-worked wonders. My hair was thick dark and regrowth in crown was apparent along with mid scalp areas.

Then....I left the country for 7 weeks and during my time away I forgot to take nizoral 2% with me. On the 4th or 5th week or so I lost so much hair in the shower that I literally screamed and paniced. I would grab about 50 hairs from one single area alone while pulling with 4 fingers. In about over the course of 2 weeks my hair went from thick, no sign of hairloss, to see through jungle without leaves. I was and still am devasted by the aftershock. Now I use so much dermmatch that it's difficult to not make it obvious my scalp is coloured.

I should also mention I was using rogain foam about 3-4x a week once per day while I was on nizoral shampoo as well. The only thing I was able to take with me on my trip was my propecia.

Lesson learned the hard way.

Will I be able to regain what I lost?

Quadzilla99

Established Member
Reaction score
Putting my $0.02 out there for anyone who questions nizoral 2%

I was using it for about 3-4 months everyday leaving it in my hair for 10-15 min daily. It was making my hair very frizzy so I used a small dab of hair dye conditioner (the one that comes in a tube) after without it getting to my scalp and immediately rinsed-worked wonders. My hair was thick dark and regrowth in crown was apparent along with mid scalp areas.

Then....I left the country for 7 weeks and during my time away I forgot to take nizoral 2% with me. On the 4th or 5th week or so I lost so much hair in the shower that I literally screamed and paniced. I would grab about 50 hairs from one single area alone while pulling with 4 fingers. In about over the course of 2 weeks my hair went from thick, no sign of hairloss, to see through jungle without leaves. I was and still am devasted by the aftershock. Now I use so much dermmatch that it's difficult to not make it obvious my scalp is coloured.

I should also mention I was using rogain foam about 3-4x a week once per day while I was on nizoral shampoo as well. The only thing I was able to take with me on my trip was my propecia.

Lesson learned the hard way.

Will I be able to regain what I lost?

Probably. According to one study the best results from ketoconazole shampoo were seen from months 6-15 so theoretically you might have not even seen it really begin to kick in at full force yet.

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/03/2-nizoral-shampoo-increases-hair-growth.html

beaner

Reaction score
Then....I left the country for 7 weeks and during my time away I forgot to take nizoral 2% with me........I should also mention I was using rogain foam about 3-4x a week once per day .......... The only thing I was able to take with me on my trip was my propecia.

Why are you blaming the lack of Nizoral when your shed is more likely to be from lack of minoxidil? Stopping minoxidil is known to cause massive sheds several weeks after use is discontinued. I don't understand your logic and how you concluded it was lack of Nizoral that caused your shed.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
^ I barely used the minoxidil. I'm sure it was a cause of the shed, but a minor cause. I've used minoxidil liquid and rogaine foam through the years going far back almost a decade and I know what to expect when quiting it. I was only using it 2, maybe 3, times per week and applied it once for the day. Also with the minoxidil regrowth and thickening is usually seen after the 4th or 5th (sometimes later) months. With nizoral I saw results instantly.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
ok i ve just written this on another post.
...there are some who claim of a "nizoral greed" leading to massive hair shed. there has been reports of people using nizoral to death! I've no doubt nizoral is one of the best shampoos for hair loss sufferers - but over zealous use due to it leaving the hair looking thicker and easier to style.
i think using it moderately would be better, maybe every 3-4days.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
^ I don't know what "nizoral-greed" is nor do I care where the term derived from. If it's some form of online brotology term then I couldn't care less. The usage indicated on the nizoral shampoo bottle is not hair loss. As with many treatments, sometimes you also need to figure out what works best for you. I've used nizoral 3-4x weekly in the past with decent results (significantly stopping daily shedding). I decided to use it everyday and leave it longer on my scalp because I'm a firm believer that more time is needed for it to penetrate the scalp and as an topical antiandrogen it should be used daily. The results I got from it were phenominal. The proof was solidified when I stopped using it.

Like I said, I'm just putting it out there for anyone who's on the fence. You really don't have much to lose by giving it a go.

The only issue I had was getting very fizzy and dried hairs. I fixed that by using the hair conditioner specified for those who dye their hair. I use about a dab, the size of your pinky nail. I apply it to my hairs without touching the scalp and rinse immediately. It's the best conditioner especially for those who use nizoral shampoo. I've tried about 3-4 different conditioners prior to and nothing comes close.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think he just confirmed the same. thing. I've. been. thinking. If dht is the problem, and dht is created daily, then it needs to be removed daily Therefore, I've been thinking of using a topical anti androgen, maybe keto or spironolactone, and using it daily. Then using keto 2% on wash day. Til I can do that, I've been thinking, lets keep any anti androgen I use on my scalp as long as possible. Therefore I SLEEP in the keto 2% shampoo not just let it sit for 5 mins. I don't recommend this for anyone using the retail version of keto which the brand name is nizoral and the generic is simply named keto. But I have keto 2% placed in a conditioning shampoo that has no sulfates and it really like a conditioner as it softens and soothes. Therefore while it's conditioning my hair, the keto in it is penetrating my follicles and thrawting off the dht.) Bottom line any topical anti androgen you can use and for as long as possible, in my experience, will be the best fight in warding off baldness. To Einstein thanks so much for the post! I needed that!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I definitely think you can get that back because it sounds like it was a very short time period ago and if you could do it then you can do it again just may take a lot of work. And more minoxidil use.

resu

Reaction score
You were using too much nizoral, don't leave it for that long and not everyday, it's a powerful anti-fungal shampoo, it will damage your hairs but your follicles should survive.

SDK

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral is scaring the hell out of me. I've only used it once or twice a week for five weeks and I'm losing more hair.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
I stopped nizoral two weeks ago after using it for a year about twice a week. I been noticing for some time that every time I used it I tended to shed lots more hair that day and the day after!

I started to believe that it may be stripping the top skin layer of my scalp - result was more dandruff, and more loss of those hairs with very small white root bulbs.

I'm not counting it out altogether, but I've just switched back to a normal shampoo for a while to see what happens.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I and tens of thousands of others who use this site have used Nizoral 1% for over 12 years with zero problems, and rely on it heavily to keep our hair.

Admin

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
^^ You got that right because God knows it's the only thing that's keeping mines from coming out in little clumps. Since I've started the 2% regularly and let it sit for a while, my hair has gone from 6-8 clumps to 1 little sliver of maybe 5 - 10 hairs.

- - - Updated - - -

You were using too much nizoral, don't leave it for that long and not everyday, it's a powerful anti-fungal shampoo, it will damage your hairs but your follicles should survive.

@resu I don't use the retail version of keto. I have 2% of the actual keto placed in a shampoo that is like a conditioner. It is highly moisturizing, has many softening agents, and even has no sulfates. Its a conditioning shampoo but it's actually better than most well almost all of the conditioners that I've used. I really prefer the original version (without keto) more than most conditioners as it's just that conditioning. This is the shampoo that I have a compounding pharmacist place the 2% keto into. And thank God it works! It allows me to use the keto because the retail versions were so harsh I couldn't use them for 1 second. So I can leave it on because there is no irritation to hair or scalp, only intense softening and conditioning. It's expensive. Darn expensive. But I love my hair! And I've been doing this for about 3-4 months so even if I were to get a reaction, it would've happened by now. But again that's why I use such a strongly conditioning shampoo to have the keto placed in. It's sorta like the Wen conditioner-like shampoo but a lot more conditioning and softening.

All_The_Above

Established Member
Reaction score
Using Nizoral everyday over the course of four months caused my hair to thin significantly. I've decided to stop using it, as well as any other shampoo.ether. I now only wash my hair with conditioner.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Let me stress, more than AN-Y-THING keto/nizoral has done MORE for my hair. It's the only main thing that I mainly use. And this is how I know my hair loss is dht related. If keto/nizoral isn't helping you, you have another kind of hair loss. Try something else. Have your dr do tests for lupus, iron deficiency, vit b deficiency, thyroid issues. But dht hair loss? nizoral zaps that. Now if you are using rogaine it in itself will cause shedding so that may be it, with and without nizoral.

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nizoral is scaring the hell out of me. I've only used it once or twice a week for five weeks and I'm losing more hair.

If you check out the sides of nizarol you will read that one of them is hair loss. Most likely the streanth is the %2 that is causeing the hair loss

Yael

Reaction score
Did anyone regrow the lost hair after stopping or thickened back? How long did it take you, please answer me....

Koga

Established Member
Reaction score
I really doubt whether I should include nizoral in my regimen. I'm sure though this site is hugely exaggerating the impact of nizoral.

This is why no matter what treatment regimen you use, Nizoral shampoo absolutely must be included. Though it is marketed as an anti-dandruff shampoo, it effectively handles both the hormonal and inflammation-related causes of hair loss. It is the only shampoo that can do this.

No legitimate treatment (below) will work without it.

Without an anti-inflammatory, your treatments will not work.