Stopped Finasteride - Constant Urge To Pee

g.i joey

Reaction score
Definitely has to do with finasteride, I had this issue on the last break I took, it goes away on its own and is probably worsened from your anxiety, after I visited doctor and he reassured me everything was normal it literally went away a couple days later... but you can also be suffering prostatitis as this has a similar symptom

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely has to do with finasteride, I had this issue on the last break I took, it goes away on its own and is probably worsened from your anxiety, after I visited doctor and he reassured me everything was normal it literally went away a couple days later... but you can also be suffering prostatitis as this has a similar symptom

Hi, I only have been suffering from sensation of urge. Were you the same or did you suffer other symptoms like pain?

JonnyL

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi.

I had this exact same thing happen to me the very first day I took propecia. I started in Oct 2018 too. However, it was just a normal day for me - no drinking alcohol. I took 0.5mg of Propecia around 12 noon, and about 90 minutes later i had to go for a piss 9 times in the space of 2 hours ! It was crazy, I don't even know where all that liquid could have come from because I probably only had some water earlier in the day.

This never happened again and was the only side effect i experienced. Thankfully, it was quite an amusing one.

A similar thing used to happen to me in my younger days after a night out when taking 'ecstacy'. When i'd get home, I'd have to go to the toilet numerous times throughout the night/morning.

Last edited:

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been on finasteride for just under 4 months, started 1st Oct 2018. Back in December i was at the pub drinking pints of beer and had the urge to go to the toilet within 15 minutes of the first toilet trip which i thought was very odd.
This all came to a head on the 8th of January, i had the urge to pee all day at work. I saw a doctor and described my symptoms and he said i have overactive bladder syndrome.

I made a decision today to stop finasteride, too much of a coincidence that i start having more urge to pee after starting propecia.

Would finasteride have caused the constant urge to pee issue?

How long do you think it will take for the prostate to get back to its normal size?

Urge to pee can have different causes. I had it and have taken cranberry pills. After 3 weeks problem solved.

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
If the urge to pee was due to my prostate, then would i not have suffered from pain?

The doctor thought i had the symptom of overactive bladder where the brain / bladder signalling is messed up and i feel the urge to pee shortly after urinating! the urgency has reduced 30-40% since it started on 9th Jan so im hoping my bladder training will yeild further results in the coming months.

I have googled and read posts where people on finasteride have reported the frequency and urge issue too so its a hard one know for definite what the cause is.

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with Unacknowledged. There are many possible causes. UTI, STI, enlarged prostate, bladder irritants, strain from coughing, strain from lifting. Probably more I don't know about.

I've been having issues since before starting medication. Mostly Post Micturition Dribble and sometimes mild bladder pain. The pain is a little more on the sides of the bladder. I went down the list trying almost everything. The only lifestyle changes I made were strength training including squats and deadlifts and stretching my hamstrings and calves. Pelvic floor stretches have finally helped so I think my issue is strain from lifting. Most sources online suggest that this is only a women's issue or something that happens after childbirth so it's the last thing I tried.

If anybody is having these issues, try the stretches from either of these videos. The movements in the first video were easier for me.

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi folks, i have no pain in the pelvic area, or in my prostate and bladder. Weirdly i did have pain in my prostate about 6-7 months ago, i had a PSA test and it came back normal plus the pain went away after a week or two.

The urge to pee has reduced a little (say 20 - 30%) since i was diagnosed on the 9th January. I can now go to the toilet every 4 hours or longer and hoping the urge reduces further with time. The urge gets strong when im holding 400ml+ of urine.

Virtually everyone commenting here talks about prostate or pelvic floor pain, i dont get that. plus the doctor and urology nurse think its overactive bladder.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi folks, i have no pain in the pelvic area, or in my prostate and bladder. Weirdly i did have pain in my prostate about 6-7 months ago, i had a PSA test and it came back normal plus the pain went away after a week or two.

The urge to pee has reduced a little (say 20 - 30%) since i was diagnosed on the 9th January. I can now go to the toilet every 4 hours or longer and hoping the urge reduces further with time. The urge gets strong when im holding 400ml+ of urine.

Virtually everyone commenting here talks about prostate or pelvic floor pain, i dont get that. plus the doctor and urology nurse think its overactive bladder.
Because it sort of resembles (if vaguely) some symptoms (at least the urinary ones) of Male Chronic Pelvic Pain which is somewhat hard to diagnose, treat or even explain.

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Manochoice true, guess i don't know specifically what's causing the urge. e.g. my bladder hasnt been tested for over active detruster muscles, my prostate hasnt really been examined, etc

i'll start doing some pelvic exercises thats posted above.

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Manochoice true, guess i don't know specifically what's causing the urge. e.g. my bladder hasnt been tested for over active detruster muscles, my prostate hasnt really been examined, etc

i'll start doing some pelvic exercises thats posted above.

4 months on finasteride and I’ve now been suffering this exact symptom for 2 weeks. I wake up feeling normal no urge to pee.

No pain. Got checked for diabetes. STDs. UTIs. Nothing came back that would cause alarm. So here I am still on finasteride. I experience to urge to pee immediately after I have already Urinated.

Maybe it’s in my head but I noticed that if I delay taking finasteride the symptoms start to subside. But idk if that even makes sense. So say I take finasteride at 6pm Monday. On Tuesday I would not take it and then around Wednesday 4am I would take it

When I added this delay I felt like my symptoms would start to go away only until I too the pill again.

Can it really be all in my head. I mean at 3.5 months I was so happy with finasteride. And sure I had lower libido sides. But I f care. I was doing great. I wasn’t long for problems. So this is odd

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thought i would give a update to this post. I still have overactive bladder but the urge isnt as strong as i had it back in early January.
The urology nurse said im making good progress with my bladder training. i can void (pee) every 4 hours or so.

However i still have the urge in my penis which builds up as my bladder fills with urine. Not sure how long this will take to sort itself out however i'm going to ask the doctor for meds to reduce this urge sensation.

my hairline is receeding even though im using regaine foam, feel like i want to jump back onto finasteride but will wait for bladder urge to get better.

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thought i would give a update to this post. I still have overactive bladder but the urge isnt as strong as i had it back in early January.
The urology nurse said im making good progress with my bladder training. i can void (pee) every 4 hours or so.

However i still have the urge in my penis which builds up as my bladder fills with urine. Not sure how long this will take to sort itself out however i'm going to ask the doctor for meds to reduce this urge sensation.

my hairline is receeding even though im using regaine foam, feel like i want to jump back onto finasteride but will wait for bladder urge to get better.

I have the same situation, urge to pee. Sometimes certain positions affect it. It was worse at the beginning and now it’s better but it’s on and off. It’s really odd we both are having this symptom. It feels like any liquid in my bladder the bladder instantly wants it out. Like it’s way more sensitive then it used to be

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@EndlessPossibilities

how long were you on finasteride till the urge to pee came on?
are you doing bladder training?
did you stop finasteride?

4 months it started randomly out of the blue then I started getting pain near base of penis and went away. I got tested for everything no stds. No infection. I even took a 10 day course of Cipro regardless no help.

I think t might also be related pelvic floor dysfunction who knows I haven’t seen a Uro yet. Getting a boner makes the symptoms go away. Sometimes symptoms are worse laying down or sitting.

I took 3 days off of find didn’t do anything so I got back on and then a day or two later symptoms really faded for like an entire day but now they are on and off