Stimulant Adhd Medications And Hair Loss

Fred90

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello

I’m 28 year old, man. I’ve slowly been thinning at the crown for many years. A few months on finansteride now.

I’ve recently started Elvanse (Lisdexamphetamine) for attention deficit disorder.

I’ve never experienced much hair physically loosening and falling off the scalp, before now. Not that I’m losing extreme amounts, but since starting Elvanse I’ve noticed an increase.

After some research i find many people reporting hair loss as a side effect.

I still don’t know how serious this is, maybe people are just overreacting? ...including my self Most people don’t have a clue about male pattern baldness and so perhaps its sometimes falsely reported as side effect of drugs.
I don’t know and i like find out, just not from personal experience.

So is it true that stimulant drugs can cause hair loss?

if so how often does it happen to people and bad is it? Manageable?Does it grow back if you stop? Anyone without any increase in hair loss on stimulants?

And most importantly: why does it happen?

I have some thoughts but can’t find any scientific confirmation

Perhaps the vasoconstriction caused by stimulant drugs? Tightening of the small capillaries... could decrease blood flow to the hair follicles, and deprive them of nutrients?
Hormonal changes?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for serious answers

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ADHD meds are vasoconstrictors; they restrict blood flow everywhere in your body, including the scalp. I'm not an expert, but I believe this is the mechanism that is causing increased shedding.

EDIT: I didn't realize you had already addressed this in your post!

Last edited:

Fred90

My Regimen
Reaction score
ADHD meds are vasoconstrictors; they restrict blood flow everywhere in your body, including the scalp. I'm not an expert, but I believe this is the mechanism that is causing increased shedding.

EDIT: I didn't realize you had already addressed this in your post!

That’s ok, thanks for replying

Would this cause shedding, or just prevent new growth?