Stickonhair Says Poly Better Then Lace?

Steve Marz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys I am going to be wearing next month as my salon told me my piece will be in then. However after watching a video from STICKONHAIR, which he says poly is better then lace, can someone explain the difference to me as I soon will be a new hair wearer. Thanks

Noah

Reaction score
I did a post on this recently, so you'll forgive me if I quote myself:

They each have pros and cons.
  • Skin is better for partings, crowns, and low density pieces where a lot of scalp is visible - seen from above it mimics a human scalp very well. Lace is better for the hairline, because there is no hard edge to see. A skin base does have a distinct edge, which can be visible if it catches the light the wrong way, or if a section of the membrane comes loose. The edge of a lace piece, by contrast, is a frayed edge, so there is no definite line to catch they eye. Even if a small bit of lace comes loose it usually just looks like dry skin or baby hairs.
  • Skin is easier to clean up - it is a shiny impervious surface which easily wipes clean of glue etc. Lace is delicate, and has to be cleaned with care, usually after soaking, to avoid stretching the base or causing if to fray, or causing the hairs to come through to the wrong side. You can partly cure that problem by ordering a poly rim around the back and sides of a lace piece, and possibly other strategically-placed tape patches, although they may be detectable to the touch.
  • Skin is usually attached with a full head bond of glue. It makes a "plastic bag" noise if you touch it when it is not glued down. It is risky to use strong tape on a thinskin base, because you could tear the base when you try to get it off.
  • Lace is usually attached just at the perimeter, and you can use tape or glue.
  • Lace is very open-textured and breathable. You can feel the wind and rain through a lace piece, and sweat just runs through it. Skin is an impermeable plastic film. It is not breathable, so sweat gets trapped under the base and eventually finds its way out at the edges. Some skin pieces have little holes in the membrane supposedly to cure this problem, but in my experience they don't work.
  • They both have about the same lifespan and price.
There is no right or wrong answer. A lot of guys are very keen on skin bases. For me, the crux point is breathability, and I would say if you are sporting or physically active, or you live in a hot or humid climate, lace is the better choice. If you are mostly sedentary and you live in a cold climate or are mainly in aircon, there are advantages to skin.

The stick-on hair guy is very likeable, but he is rather a klutz when it comes to his hairpiece. In most of his videos it seems to be peeling off or defective in some way. Likeable as he is, I'm not sure he is a great role model for wearing.

What kind of base have you ordered?

Steve Marz

My Regimen
Reaction score
French Lace. I will be wearing my hair down, but I never wore my hair up anyway. As far as Stick on hair goes, yeah I know he is not the best role model. However for a 40 year old man, he looks like he is 22. Surprised he never married, I mean I think he is just a bit immature, however the fact that a guy like that was able to make his hairpiece looks so natural gave me hope that one day I will be able to manage that too. Thanks Noah, you give very a knowledgeable response. You and baldbeared are two of my favorites on here, however I wish to get to know everyone else too so thanks again, friend.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been wearing skin and it is very easy to clean. My first ever system and I've managed to maintain it myself at home.

I've ordered a lace system next because I want a more realistic hairline, but I am very concerned about the cleanup and maintenance with lace!

Noah

Reaction score
Yes, it's definitely a trade-off. Skin is easy-care.

A while back I talked to a guy who was a make-up artist in the film industry, and he told me that the numerous actors and performers who wear hair invariably wear lace units. Under the bright theatrical lights lace disappears, but skin bases can pick up the light and become visible, particularly at lower densities. Obviously those are the guys for whom appearance is crucially important, since it is their living.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At the moment, with my skin base, it takes me around an hour to do a de/re. That includes taking off the piece, removing all glue, then cleaning/shaving my head, and finally reattaching.

How long do you think it would take with lace?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
He is the LAST person in the world I would go for advice. Have you seen his older vids? He would buy a system and cut off strips, and paste in on his forehead, and buzz the rest. I guess he is getting better, with time, but there are far better folks to listen to, like Curtis from the Hair Experience.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He is the LAST person in the world I would go for advice. Have you seen his older vids? He would buy a system and cut off strips, and paste in on his forehead, and buzz the rest. I guess he is getting better, with time, but there are far better folks to listen to, like Curtis from the Hair Experience.

Yeah Curtis from Hair Experience is the best one yet I seen on hair systems.
Had some great free advice from him.

Not just another hair loss salon trying to sell you their product.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah Curtis from Hair Experience is the best one yet I seen on hair systems.
Had some great free advice from him.

Not just another hair loss salon trying to sell you their product.

Although now... LOL, he IS selling a product. He just opened his own hair replacement business.