Stickiness so annoying - how to remove?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How in the world do I keep the residue stickiness from the tape from getting everywhere and when it does get on something how do I get it off?!

The tape I use on my front hairline starts to break down and becomes glue like when removing it from the lace.

My issue is I get it all over my hands which transfers to my bottles and everything else. It gets stuck and gummed up on my fingers and hands. I spray everything with alcohol but it doesn’t seem to wipe off my hands and other stuff.

Is there any clean up method everyone is using or does it just come with the territory?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Walker Lace Front (not the 3mil thin version)

I feel like I have this issue with any tape I use honestly.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like you are waiting too long to change the tape. The longer you wait the gooier it will be. One should be able to spray directly into the piece where the tape is and wait a minute or two. Then remove the piece and the tape should only remain on your head and not on the lace.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was kind of thinking that’s my issue as well.

What is something I can use to clean up my hands and sink from any goo that I may get in the future. This is why I don’t deal with glues because I hate the stickiness all over the place.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was kind of thinking that’s my issue as well.

What is something I can use to clean up my hands and sink from any goo that I may get in the future. This is why I don’t deal with glues because I hate the stickiness all over the place.
99 percent rubbing alcohol, De-solv-it

Milo Bloom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Change tape frequently; no more than 3 days. If you have a poly perimeter, there should be no residue left behind. Use a white glue and release the front lace attachment using 99% alcohol. Wipe away any scalp residue with paper towel and 99% alcohol. Use a sprayer gun with 99% alcohol to clean the lace and poly strip.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think my problem has definitely been that I’m waiting too long to replace the front tape. I do go around a week which is not good for me because I do sweat quite a bit and tend to have an oily scalp.

I haven’t tried glue since I’ve had a lace front so I may try it. Before this unit I’ve had poly and it was all a disaster but then again it was it first ever unit.

I think I read somewhere (possibly Noah) that he uses a tape strip behind the hairline a bit and then glues the edge. The tape helps take the strain off the glue somewhat.

Noah

Reaction score
Yes, I do do that. If you tape an inch or so behind the hairline you can use the strong tape (I use Walkers No-Shine) which would be too thick and visible for the hairline itself, so you get a really solid hold, and the hairline glue doesn't have much work to do, so you are less likely to get any little lifts.

I'm surprised you are getting that degree of deterioration in the tape adhesive so quickly. I keep mine on for 7 days and it is still in pretty good condition when I take it off - no gunginess at that point. Have you tried using scalp protector under the taped area?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I normally always use scalp protector.

Noah, do you sweat or have oily skin?

I think I’m going to try your method with tape and glue. At this point if I am going to have to clean gumminess off then I might as well try glue and have the absolute flattest hairline.

How long does the tape and glue last for your hairline as opposed to just using tape?

Noah

Reaction score
I don't have particularly oily skin, but I am sweaty, and I do some sweaty activities, particularly mountain biking. I have to be a bit careful for the first day after applying the system not to sweat hard, because it would turn the hairline glue whitish. After that, I don't have any problems.

As I said, I do a de/re-attach every weekend. The system would still be very solid after 10 - 12 days, but I find after a week that the phenomenon you mentioned starts to kick in - the glue starts to mix with my scalp oils and degrade, and eventually to become gungy. By day 12 it has become gungy enough to start seeping into the base mesh and onto the bottom of the hair shafts. At that point it's really hard to clean it all off without inflicting some wear on the unit. So that is why I mostly stick to a 7-day turnaround.

Is your unit all lace, or just a lace front?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This unit is lace front and poly sides/back.

I have another unit that is all lace, but tried to dye it this week a little darker and ended up dying it too dark!

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My issue is I get it all over my hands which transfers to my bottles and everything else. It gets stuck and gummed up on my fingers and hands. I spray everything with alcohol but it doesn’t seem to wipe off my hands and other stuff.
Lol, I've been wearing lace with a poly sides/back recently and I can totally relate to this. I usually only get six days wear before the glue at the front just melts and will no longer hold, so I take the whole unit off and it's horrendous trying to get all the sticky residue from the tape off the poly.
I spray with isopropyl first and peel off the tape, dab with cotton wool to try and remove as much adhesive as I can roll off, and then spray with C-22 and try and wipe the rest off. I'd never get it clean without the C-22. Funnily enough, I find it's the little strip I put behind the hairline which is the gummiest.

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Lace Release Spray on the perimeter of my system when i need to remove it.. and its SOOOOOOO easy!! Spray it on , leave it for a few minutes and the system comes off with no problem, leaving ALL the tape on my scalp to remove.. makes cleaning the system So easy too .. :) less wear and tear on the system for sure.