Sterol Intermediates of Cholesterol Biosynthesis Inhibit Hair Growth

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0038449

Primary cicatricial alopecia (PCA) is a group of inflammatory hair disorders that cause scarring and permanent hair loss. Previous studies have implicated PPARγ, a transcription factor that integrates lipogenic and inflammatory signals, in the pathogenesis of PCA. However, it is unknown what triggers the inflammatory response in these disorders, whether the inflammation is a primary or secondary event in disease pathogenesis, and whether the inflammatory reaction reflects an autoimmune process. In this paper, we show that the cholesterol biosynthetic pathway is impaired in the skin and hair follicles of PCA patients. Treatment of hair follicle cells with BM15766, a cholesterol biosynthesis inhibitor, or 7-dehydrocholesterol (7-DHC), a sterol precursor, stimulates the expression of pro-inflammatory chemokine genes. Painting of mouse skin with 7-DHC or BM15766 inhibits hair growth, causes follicular plugging and induces the infiltration of inflammatory cells into the interfollicular dermis. Our results demonstrate that cholesterologenic changes within hair follicle cells trigger an innate immune response that is associated with the induction of toll-like receptor (TLR) and interferon (IFN) gene expression, and the recruitment of macrophages that surround the hair follicles and initiate their destruction. These findings reveal a previously unsuspected role for cholesterol precursors in PCA pathogenesis and identify a novel link between sterols and inflammation that may prove transformative in the diagnosis and treatment of these disorders.

abcdefg

Reaction score
In english meaning what? How can we practically use this news right now are they saying we need to keep our cholesterol levels low to reduce inflammation?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Long shot but it seems to state that when Cholesterol activity is inhibited (by whatever means) the resulting effect is localized inflammation. That would imply that low cholesterol (possibly abnormally low, not normal healthy low) might encourage inflammation in the body. Even though they're really only looking at this locally in the skin. Assuming I'm not completely wrong with this, I did read a study last month about why Statin users have severe muscular inflammatory problems. It was found that when the statin had lowered the cholesterol level too far, too much in the individual, this is when the muscular myopathy and other inflammatory-like conditions began. Our body needs cholesterol to perform many functions, whether it be nerve and muscle health, creation of myelin sheath, brain function, mitochondrial function, etc... This is why I reject the statement that doctors always make - "Cholesterol can never be too low". So wrong...

Admin

abcdefg

Reaction score
Ah okay thanks. Yeah I always wondered about drugs to lower cholesterol I mean we dont know if artificially lowering it is the same thing as lowering it in other ways. Its all so complicated sometimes it seems like we barely know anything.
Anyhow I doubt I have to worry about my cholesterol being too low.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
This is why I reject the statement that doctors always make - "Cholesterol can never be too low". So wrong...

Admin
Indeed. My physician confirmed some time ago that cholesterol is needed in vital functions inside the human body and should not be very low. Otherwise you could run into serious health problems.

However, in modern developed societies it is almost never very low, unless there is some pathology behind. See also this short communication by Mayo Clinic.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I ran into serious health problems 3 months ago.

My cholesterol was dangerously low. Nearly below 100. I learned that this can cause damage to the myelin producing structures protecting nerves as well as the mitochondrial function in muscle cells and the brain. (i was having major nerve and muscle problems).

My first course of action, with no relevant input from my clueless doctor, was to begin increasing my healthy cholesterol levels. It worked.

Admin

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
I ran into serious health problems 3 months ago.

My cholesterol was dangerously low. Nearly below 100. I learned that this can cause damage to the myelin producing structures protecting nerves as well as the mitochondrial function in muscle cells and the brain. (i was having major nerve and muscle problems).

My first course of action, with no relevant input from my clueless doctor, was to begin increasing my healthy cholesterol levels. It worked.

Admin
Very interesting. I am glad it is gone because it can get very nasty. Did you identify the cause behind it?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Difficult to say. I was put on some severely toxic medications back in February and have not been well since. I didn't think to check my cholesterol but it had taken a skydive. However I was also on a low fat diet and was working out hard. Eggwhites all day, plain water, no electrolytes, zero fat intake honestly. Thats what I was told was good for "getting cut". Fish oil wasn't cutting it either. Probably the cause. Body needs fat... and salt ... despite what they say..

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
Difficult to say. I was put on some severely toxic medications back in February and have not been well since. I didn't think to check my cholesterol but it had taken a skydive. However I was also on a low fat diet and was working out hard. Eggwhites all day, plain water, no electrolytes, zero fat intake honestly. Thats what I was told was good for "getting cut". Fish oil wasn't cutting it either. Probably the cause. Body needs fat... and salt ... despite what they say..
I see. It seems that your body endured some heavy physical stress. Careful there.

And yes, I agree, without fat and salt the human body cannot function and it eventually decays. An adult needs about 5-6 grams of salt each day (more or less what a small spoon can hold!). So, if your diet does not include processed/packaged food and restaurant meals, you have imperatively to add salt to it. Recent findings about dietary salt intake caused much controversy.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very interesting. Yes - it was a huge discovery for me to see that the whole "Avoid ALL SALT" and "Avoid ALL SUGAR" and "Avoid ALL FAT" thing I'd been told my whole life, was extremely bad advice. I do agree that added sugar is the least necessary of the three, but if you are working out, your muscles, nerves, brain, body need Sugars immediately after the workout. Desperately. I became an expert at avoiding all sodium and fat. For years I added zero salt to my food. Avoided all fats in food as much as possible. Thought I was helping myself. Created an environment of malnutrition and harmed myself.