Steroids - WIll this work

FabioM

Established Member
Reaction score
It´s not jealousy about using steroids but from having a great body.

And you know...i got more agile and fast since i started training.

But again you are just speaking about some folks because there are loads of them who do cardio and flexibility exercises.

Ronnie Coleman for example (he won the Mr. Olimpia the last 6 editions out of 7) can extend his legs...hi don´t know how do you called it in english but gymnasts do it very often.

It really depends on the person who do cardio and flexibility exercises.

trapsource

Reaction score
I forget If it was you or the Doctor but what was said was people who use steroids are overly vain and souless. My point was trying to look good is not a bad thing. Again you are lumping all the mass building gorillas in with everyone else. Steroids are also used for injuries. Why do you think some athletes take them? Some have very bad injuries that only steroids can ease ( im not an expert on this) Is it wron g for an athlete to
continue competing at a high level, or just continuing to do the thing he loves by taking a mild roid once in a while? All case are different as to why people do them. I totally agree about the massive roid idiots that you are talking about. Its like a hair transplant. You only notice the bad ones and the good ones you assume are natural. People only assume the massive idiots are 100% of the users. Ive known a few docs, cops, firemen and pro athlets who take them once in a blue moon, and are the nicest down to earth guys ive ever met.
What you think is a perfect male physique and what another does can be totally different. But to each his own. And roid heads arent criminals, who ever said that retarded comment. Child molesters, rapists, murderers are criminals--- dont even go that route with extremely dumb comments like that.
Bein on the athletic field for me is not important to me at 35, as the wear and tear on my knees is too much. Ive played sports all my life and dont want to hang out with the losers who take it too seriously. Thats a patheticc sight to see these guys in action. Point is again is we all do what we love. For you its athletics, for others its bodybuilding. I know a few ball players and hockey players who take the juice but you would never thinkl it. Amd I totaly agree with you to look smaller and healthy is alot better than massive, bulky and freakish. I think people that want to get bigger and bigger are crazy. Unless they play in the NFL.
Doctor was commenting on how people that ake roids are, well to sum it up, mentally unhealthly. So all the skydivers, basejumpers, bungie jumpers heads are all in tact? You can paralize or kill yourself so easily doingf all those extreme sports. Dont you think those things are a little fecked up?

its not about right or wrong but the ignorant public perception people have. Juat like the long haired guy must be a bum and the clean cut guy must have it all together.
My jealousy comment then was not directed to you but just to who ever it applies to.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

I suppose this is the problem of having a discussion via a internet forum. Not sure what Doctor has said but I have not said that people who take steroids are vain and without a soul, though vanity certainly plays a role for those who make the leap from just trying to work out and be healthy to using synthetic hormone to look better. I personally don't believe any human being is souless and first and foremost I have pity for those who use steroids to promote a certain "look" that society has deemed as sexy. But in my experience steroids do negatively effect one's soul because they devalue the human being because the individual is risking long term health (both physical and especially mental) for immediate pleasure. All to often this leads the user to rationalize additional risky behavior. Therefore, a steroid user is not souless but the drug use does negatively effect one's soul, IMO. This is a common result for any drug or alcohol abuser.
I never said it on this forum that they are criminals, but according to American law, the use of steroids without a legal doctor's proscription is in fact illegal. So one who uses steroids is in fact a criminal. I personally do not think someone who uses steroids for their personal use should be jailed, but I do not have final say on that issue. I do believe that illegal distributors of steroids should face criminal charges, but they should be caught distributing the steroids and not assumed that a certain quantity is deemed "distribution".

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
global said:
You really are an idiot.

I'm starting to believe you are not really a doctor at all. Your previous comments about how the National Health Service works in the United Kingdom are pure fantasy. I'm not even going to bother refuting it because it is so ridiculous.

I found a lump in my calcaneal tendon a couple of weeks ago. I rang the doctor the next morning and got an appointment to see him 2 hours later. He sent me to get an X ray of my foot and I went to the hospital the same day and had the X ray done there and then. The picture you have painted is entirely false.

You really didn't read what I had to say, did you? Further proof that you take what I say out of context and only your opinion to heart. I will say it again, I KNOW PHYSICIANS THAT HAVE WORKED IN YOUR COUNTRY!!! Can't you get that through your head? They have worked in your system and know all its faults. Have you worked in that system as a physician? Do you have private insurance? Do you even know if you have private insurance? That system is totally seperate from the public health system in Britain. You certainly must be aware of that fact.

The quality of care you receive and how fast you can get in to receive that care is directly determined by the nature of your illness in that country. A lump on your tendon is not a difficult diagnosis and a simple x-ray does not take much time. Thus, you'd be one of the first people to see a physician. Unfortunately, because you made your appointment, it is quite likely that a diabetic or a stroke patient didn't get to see a physician that day.

global said:
You're comments above about steroid side effects just demonstrate further evidence that you have no serious medical knowledge of side effects of steroids.

Those side effects are NOT seen in every person who takes steroids. And in any case steroids are not all the same, there are considerable variations in possible effects they could have.

Even some of the adverse effects you cite are of doubtful pathogenicity. For example while steroids do cause adverse effects on the HDL/LDL ratio, short term fluctuations in lipids have never been shown to contribute to CAD, only long term changes, and only in sedentary men.

Yes, the use of steriods (whether it be long term or short term stacking) will cause side effects in ALL patients. I'll say it again...ALL PATIENTS. You can not take hormones without negatively inhibiting hormone release from the pituitary. It doesn't matter what you think, that's a side effect and unless you have a reason to be doing it, then it's completely unhealthy.

Also, the risk of CAD disease is increased in all men and not just because of the LDL/HDL fluctuations. It's because steroid use is shown to cause hypertension in steroid users, as well as, cause an increase in triglyceride levels with even short term use. Are you aware of how much aerobic exercise you have to do to counteract this phenomenon? It's a lot and it has to be done with even short term steroid use.

I'm not even going to go into how cycling and stacking affect the liver. You should know that since you appear to be a genius. Even short term steroid use affects the liver...a lot.

It's not my fault if men that use steroids are either so in love with themselves or so uncomfortable with themselves that they are willing to abuse drugs to get what they want. They are nothing more than a common junkie in terms of the ideal that surrounds their drug abuse.

Steroids are schedule III for a reason. Some other drugs that are schedule III include ketamine, LSD, and chlorphentermine. Sounds to me like steroid abusers will be in good company with those that use the above drugs.

What is the reason steroids are schedule III Doctor? The AMA and the FDA both recommended Congress not to schedule them so perhaps you know more them.

docj077

Reaction score
global said:
What is the reason steroids are schedule III Doctor? The AMA and the FDA both recommended Congress not to schedule them so perhaps you know more them.

They are schedule three to prevent the sale, distribution, and use of steroids by minors for the purpose of athletic achievement and events.

The decision by congress to make these drugs schedule three was an excellent decision. Not because they have addictive properties, but because they make the playing field an uneven one.

So, to make it fair for those who are professionals, congress made it fair for not only them, but for those who are not professionals, as well.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
global said:

They are schedule three to prevent the sale, distribution, and use of steroids by minors for the purpose of athletic achievement and events.

The decision by congress to make these drugs schedule three was an excellent decision. Not because they have addictive properties, but because they make the playing field an uneven one.

So, to make it fair for those who are professionals, congress made it fair for not only them, but for those who are not professionals, as well.

So you don't agree with your peers in the medical profession then?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
global said:
You really are an idiot.

I'm starting to believe you are not really a doctor at all. Your previous comments about how the National Health Service works in the United Kingdom are pure fantasy. I'm not even going to bother refuting it because it is so ridiculous.

I found a lump in my calcaneal tendon a couple of weeks ago. I rang the doctor the next morning and got an appointment to see him 2 hours later. He sent me to get an X ray of my foot and I went to the hospital the same day and had the X ray done there and then. The picture you have painted is entirely false.

You really didn't read what I had to say, did you? Further proof that you take what I say out of context and only your opinion to heart. I will say it again, I KNOW PHYSICIANS THAT HAVE WORKED IN YOUR COUNTRY!!! Can't you get that through your head? They have worked in your system and know all its faults. Have you worked in that system as a physician? Do you have private insurance? Do you even know if you have private insurance? That system is totally seperate from the public health system in Britain. You certainly must be aware of that fact.

The quality of care you receive and how fast you can get in to receive that care is directly determined by the nature of your illness in that country. A lump on your tendon is not a difficult diagnosis and a simple x-ray does not take much time. Thus, you'd be one of the first people to see a physician. Unfortunately, because you made your appointment, it is quite likely that a diabetic or a stroke patient didn't get to see a physician that day.
global said:
You're comments above about steroid side effects just demonstrate further evidence that you have no serious medical knowledge of side effects of steroids.

Those side effects are NOT seen in every person who takes steroids. And in any case steroids are not all the same, there are considerable variations in possible effects they could have.

Even some of the adverse effects you cite are of doubtful pathogenicity. For example while steroids do cause adverse effects on the HDL/LDL ratio, short term fluctuations in lipids have never been shown to contribute to CAD, only long term changes, and only in sedentary men.

Yes, the use of steriods (whether it be long term or short term stacking) will cause side effects in ALL patients. I'll say it again...ALL PATIENTS. You can not take hormones without negatively inhibiting hormone release from the pituitary. It doesn't matter what you think, that's a side effect and unless you have a reason to be doing it, then it's completely unhealthy.

Also, the risk of CAD disease is increased in all men and not just because of the LDL/HDL fluctuations. It's because steroid use is shown to cause hypertension in steroid users, as well as, cause an increase in triglyceride levels with even short term use. Are you aware of how much aerobic exercise you have to do to counteract this phenomenon? It's a lot and it has to be done with even short term steroid use.

I'm not even going to go into how cycling and stacking affect the liver. You should know that since you appear to be a genius. Even short term steroid use affects the liver...a lot.
It's not my fault if men that use steroids are either so in love with themselves or so uncomfortable with themselves that they are willing to abuse drugs to get what they want. They are nothing more than a common junkie in terms of the ideal that surrounds their drug abuse.

Steroids are schedule III for a reason. Some other drugs that are schedule III include ketamine, LSD, and chlorphentermine. Sounds to me like steroid abusers will be in good company with those that use the above drugs.

Starting to get a little defensive and nervous sounding here aren't we "Doctor"?

Could it be that you realise your credibility is disappearing on this board?

I'm very happy you have "talked" to a "lot of people" about the NHS in the UK. However as someone who both uses and works in the NHS I think mI feel a little more qualified to talk about it than you.

Your claim that I was treated quickly because a "lump in the tendon" is an easy diagnosis to make and so I got attended to quicker than someone with a more serious illness is of course quite ridiculous and just shows that you have neither any real medical knowledge or understanding of the British health system. How do you know the lump in my tendon wasn't a soft tissue tumor? How is that an easy diagnosis Doctor?

Of course as you "have talked" to "people" about the NHS you know that everyone has the right to be seen by a GP the same day if they ring on that day when surgery opens don't you? If not maybe you better go back to your "friends" and ask what to say next.

I suppose you also know that if you go to Casualty (ER for you) all patients must be seen within 4 hours, serious cases are seen first of course. No didn'tknow that? Oh what a surprise.

Now once again I have to deal with your ridiculous and unscientific claims about side effects of steroids. I never said that sterids don't have side effects however I do dispute your idea that all steroid use is necessarily harmful which has absolutely no scientific basis.

As you well know (actually no you probably don't because you aren't a doctor or even anyone with basic knowledge of medicine) short term rises in BP or triglycerides have never been shown to be risk factors for CAD in active men.

Regarding your comment about the liver again you demonstrate your ignorance because not all steroids affect the the liver. In fact oxandrolone for example has been shown to help regenerate the liver in alcoholic men. Again I don't claim that some steroids can't harm the liver with long term use but you are just repeating what you read somewhere without any real knowledge of the facts and I have to challenge that.

As to your claim that steroid users are like junkies then perhaps you can tell us all how patterns of steroid use fit with ICD 10 or DSM IV diagnostic criteria of dependence?

Now why don't you stop pretending to be a medical professional Doctor and leave these discussions to people who actually know something about medicine.

docj077

Reaction score
global said:
Starting to get a little defensive and nervous sounding here aren't we "Doctor"?

Could it be that you realise your credibility is disappearing on this board?

You assume that I'm even seeking credibility on an internet forum. Your ignorance bleeds through the wounds that you too easily deliver upon your very own argument.

global said:
I'm very happy you have "talked" to a "lot of people" about the NHS in the UK. However as someone who both uses and works in the NHS I think mI feel a little more qualified to talk about it than you.

Your claim that I was treated quickly because a "lump in the tendon" is an easy diagnosis to make and so I got attended to quicker than someone with a more serious illness is of course quite ridiculous and just shows that you have neither any real medical knowledge or understanding of the British health system. How do you know the lump in my tendon wasn't a soft tissue tumor? How is that an easy diagnosis Doctor?

Of course as you "have talked" to "people" about the NHS you know that everyone has the right to be seen by a GP the same day if they ring on that day when surgery opens don't you? If not maybe you better go back to your "friends" and ask what to say next.

I suppose you also know that if you go to Casualty (ER for you) all patients must be seen within 4 hours, serious cases are seen first of course. No didn'tknow that? Oh what a surprise.

So, you've working in the British medical system? For how long and in which speciality? Because, like I said, I know quite a few doctors that have worked in that system for months and even years and they do not describe it the way that you do at all. In fact, you describe from the point of view of an outsider. Medically ignorant and professionally inept.

You are aware that many of the patients that end up going to the E.R. are those patients that were too complex for the physicians to see as triage typically ends up promoting the health of and granting admittance to only the easiest of cases.

And, yes, a lump is a very easy diagnosis. Is it moveable? If yes, then it's probably benign. Is it not moveable and firm? If yes, then get a biopsy. That's pretty easy. You'd know how difficult medicine is if you have ever worked with patients in diabetic ketoacidosis or with autoimmune diseases. You obviously lack the medical knowledge to even diagnose yourself, so I don't know why you keep calling me out. You're the one that looks ridiculous when you think you know it all, but YOU need a medical professional to tell you what is wrong.

global said:
Now once again I have to deal with your ridiculous and unscientific claims about side effects of steroids. I never said that sterids don't have side effects however I do dispute your idea that all steroid use is necessarily harmful which has absolutely no scientific basis.

As you well know (actually no you probably don't because you aren't a doctor or even anyone with basic knowledge of medicine) short term rises in BP or triglycerides have never been shown to be risk factors for CAD in active men.

I never said that all steroid use is harmful. Again, you're taking my words out of context. I said that ALL steroids have side effects. This a true statement.

As for short term rises in BP or triglycerides, are you aware that short term spikes in BP are associated with hemorrhagic strokes, aneurysms at numerous levels, kidney disease and death, and a host of other medical conditions?

Plus, you can't use a blanket statement like you used above. The medical profession doesn't know the outcome of such processes, because it has never been studied in a large enough population with an experimental arm using steroids and a control arm not using any steroids at all.

You're simply making assumptions. How unscientific of you. I should be the one questioning your credentials, because you don't seem to understand even the basic knowledge required to form a scientific opinion.

global said:
Regarding your comment about the liver again you demonstrate your ignorance because not all steroids affect the the liver. In fact oxandrolone for example has been shown to help regenerate the liver in alcoholic men. Again I don't claim that some steroids can't harm the liver with long term use but you are just repeating what you read somewhere without any real knowledge of the facts and I have to challenge that.

As to your claim that steroid users are like junkies then perhaps you can tell us all how patterns of steroid use fit with ICD 10 or DSM IV diagnostic criteria of dependence?

Now why don't you stop pretending to be a medical professional Doctor and leave these discussions to people who actually know something about medicine.

Yes, all hormonal steroids are metabolized by the liver and all are hepatotoxic at a particular dose. They have to be metabolized by the liver, so that they can be removed from the body. The underlying cause of the hepatoxicity can be prevented by steroid supplementation with particular agents, but that's not what we're discussing here.

And this...

"but you are just repeating what you read somewhere without any real knowledge of the facts and I have to challenge that."

...Is just the dumbest possible thing that you could have possibly written. Of course my knowledge is going to come from something that I read (ie a medical physiology and pharmacology textbook). Is that not one of the means by which a person can gather knowledge...reading! Wait, you're right. We should burn all the books, so that people can't read anymore. You sure do have the best ideas!

If you're going to say that, then I guess that everything you've ever read is also null and void. So, that leaves word of mouth and experience. I have both of those, because I have medical school class time and clinical experience. Do you have either of those? Probably not.

Finally, you said the following:

"perhaps you can tell us all how patterns of steroid use fit with ICD 10 or DSM IV diagnostic criteria of dependence?"

Now, you not only sound ridiculous, but you've also failed to read this thread. It has already been established that steroids are not addictive and hold no chance of chemical dependence. This was argued before congress before steroids were made Schedule III. However, steroids were tagged as such to create fairness among athletes and to prevent their sale on the black market and among teenagers. How can you not understand this fact? Do you not read or do you simply struggle with words that aren't monosyllabic?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
docj077 said:
You are aware that many of the patients that end up going to the E.R. are those patients that were too complex for the physicians to see as triage typically ends up promoting the health of and granting admittance to only the easiest of cases.

No I'm not aware of that because it isn't true as I've already told you on several occasions. Why do you have this obsession with perpetuating this lie about how the NHS works?

docj077 said:
I never said that all steroid use is harmful. Again, you're taking my words out of context.

Another lie, here you claimed that all the side effects were unhealthy -

docj077 said:
Yes, the use of steriods...will cause side effects in ALL patients.....and unless you have a reason to be doing it, then it's completely unhealthy.

Here you claimed steroid users would die an early death -

docj077 said:
they will eventually either die an early death or end up basically crippled from all the wear and tear on their joints and muscles.

Here you specifically said that giving someone steroids would be causing them harm -

docj077 said:
the first rule of doctoring is "do no harm." Giving patients steroids violates that very mandate.

...and here -

docj077 said:
There is no such thing as safely using steroids

and here you said -

docj077 said:
Using steroids may make you look good and maybe even feel good about yourself, but you're technically killing yourself from the inside out.

But when I pointed out that short term rises in BP & triglycerides have never been shown to increase CAD risk in active young men you accuse ME of making blanket statements and being unscientific!!!!!!!! -

docj077 said:
you can't use a blanket statement like you used above. The medical profession doesn't know the outcome of such processes, because it has never been studied in a large enough population with an experimental arm using steroids and a control arm not using any steroids at all.

You're simply making assumptions. How unscientific of you.

You go on to say -

docj077 said:
all hormonal steroids are metabolized by the liver and all are hepatotoxic at a particular dose.

At least now you are admitting that the effects may be dose dependent, because before you claimed even short term use could be very harmful to the liver. You did not qualify this by mentioning it would depend on which compound used and length of use -

docj077 said:
Even short term steroid use affects the liver...a lot.

docj077 said:
I have medical school class time and clinical experience. Do you have either of those?

Yes.

docj077 said:
Finally, you said the following:

"perhaps you can tell us all how patterns of steroid use fit with ICD 10 or DSM IV diagnostic criteria of dependence?"

Now, you not only sound ridiculous, but you've also failed to read this thread. It has already been established that steroids are not addictive and hold no chance of chemical dependence.

Here you try to blatantly deny that YOU are the person who has been arguing all the way through this discussion that steroid users are addicted in the same way as drug addicts. Have you forgotten that you said this -

docj077 said:
The medical community considers cycling and stacking to be drug abuse, so I can't help you.

or this -

docj077 said:

or this -

docj077 said:
You abuse the drug and can't stop, because it changes your mental or physical well-being...you're chemically dependent.

or this -

docj077 said:
If you've been reading this, you'll see the mindset of an addict quite well.

I think we all understand your point of view well enough now "Doctor". You have your own agenda in attacking responsible steroid use and users of this board who want to tackle hairloss.

You admit that you are happy with a skinny semi-vegetarian body -

docj077 said:
I have basically no fat on my body, because I eat a semi-vegetarian diet. I'm skinny...

you admit that you do not agree with the American Medical Association regarding the scheduling of steroids and you admit that steroids were not scheduled for any health or medical reasons but for the benefit of professional sports -

docj077 said:
global said:

You also admit that you believe that most people on this board who wish to use pharmaceutical means to improve their appearance suffer from body dysmorphic disorder -

docj077 said:
The majoritiy of people on this site seem to suffer from body dysmorphic disorder, anxiety, depression, or some sort of manic/depressive type of disorder. It's sort of scary to see this many people so concerned with something as simple as hair gather in one place, because they are basically unable to control their ability to completely lose it when it comes to this problem.

Strange how you can diagnose so many people without even talking to us, but since you feel that way about us why are you even here? Why don't you go somewhere else.

docj077

Reaction score
global said:
docj077 said:
I have medical school class time and clinical experience. Do you have either of those?

Yes.

No kidding? Where did or do you go to school and where have you worked as a physician? I'd like to know.

Otherwise, I think you have way too much time on your hands to so thoroughly dissect our conversation.

To me, steroids result in chemical dependence, but they are not addictive. There is a difference between the two.

Stacking and cycling are bad at even low doses regardless of what any current study says as no study has ever proved otherwise using a large enough sample of patients. However, the effects are still dose and time dependent. A high dose over a short period of time can do just as much heptatic damage as a low dose over a long period of time. Any drug that is so highly metabolized by the liver will demonstrate the same phenomenon. However, the short bursts give the liver a chance to heal itself. If you're going to use steroids, then you must take supplements that prevent the cholestasis and eventual hepatic injury. Unfortunately, the drugs are schedule III, so medical professionals are not supposed to recommend anything with regards to those drugs other than stopping their use.

Plus, you're right. I am happy with how I look...with or without hair and with or without muscle. Too many people are far too vain when it comes to their personal appearance. That doesn't mean that I won't help hair loss sufferers...even those with body dysmorphic disorder, depression, and anxiety. But, that does mean that I won't help steroid abusers. That's my choice and I choose to be an *** about it.

So, you can continue to argue with me or you can accept that I'm stubborn, you're stubborn, and we'll get nowhere with this. I'm a little right and you're a little right, but neither of us is completely right, because their simply isn't enough scientific information out there for either of us to be completely right.

Reply if you want, but that doesn't mean that I'll reply back.

To all those that care!!!

"I believe steroids to be physiologically and mentally unhealthy even at low doses and even when used for short periods of time when not under the supervision of a physician for the care of a true underlying physiological disease."

-docj077

Quote it, print it, hang it on your walls for future reference.

finasteride.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
OK you're right it's not getting us anywhere and I apologise if I got a little personal there instead of sticking to scientific arguments.

Let's just agree to disagree.