Stemoxydine - Studies, Thoughts, Ideas?

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of where you can read any hair studies done on stemoxydine? I can't find anything.

The closest I can find is this summary of a poster here:

Hypoxia is an important characteristic of numerous stem cell reservoirs and recent evidence indicates that this may also hold true for the lower stem cell niche of human hair follicles.

To investigate the potential impact of hypoxia on hair follicle stem and early progenitor cell populations, we measured the colony-forming efficiency (CFE) of keratinocytes derived from the Outer Root Sheath (ORS) of human follicles, cultured under normoxic or hypoxic conditions. Although the absolute number of clones was not statistically different, cell density was reduced under hypoxic culturing conditions, suggesting better control of cell proliferation.

Based on these results, we hypothesized that induction of hypoxia signaling may be important in maintaining hair follicle stem cell functionality. Hypoxia signaling is mediated by HIF1, the a subunit of which is degraded in an oxygen-dependent manner through prolyl-4-hydroxylase (P4H)-mediated hydroxylation. A potent P4H competitive inhibitor, Stemoxydine, was tested for its ability to induce hypoxia-like signaling. Transcriptomic studies show that treatment of hair follicles with Stemoxydine in normoxic conditions modifies the expression of a panel of genes in the same manner as culturing under hypoxic conditions. In addition, when ORS-derived hair follicle cells were grown in normoxic conditions with Stemoxydine, CFE and clone morphology were similar to those observed in hypoxic conditions.

These results suggest that hypoxia may be an important regulator of stem/progenitor cells function in the human hair follicle. We hypothesize that molecules that mimic hypoxic signaling, such as Stemoxydine, may figure as new approach to sustain hair growth and cycling.

I can't find any placebo controlled studies although I know L'Oreal supposedly did one and showed 4% increased density.

I am looking into getting some powder to play with but I want to make sure it's worth my time first.

For reference, found some solubility data here:

Soluble in 100% ethanol (50mg/ml), DMSO (20mg/ml) or dimethyl formamide (30mg/ml); slightly soluble in PBS, 7.2 (1mg/ml)

Probably won't be able to get a high concentration without making a "lotion" which is what I understand is what Neogenic is. But should be able to get a few percent either way.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of where you can read any hair studies done on stemoxydine? I can't find anything.

Hypoxia is an important characteristic of numerous stem cell reservoirs and recent evidence indicates that this may also hold true for the lower stem cell niche of human hair follicles.

To investigate the potential impact of hypoxia on hair follicle stem and early progenitor cell populations, we measured the colony-forming efficiency (CFE) of keratinocytes derived from the Outer Root Sheath (ORS) of human follicles, cultured under normoxic or hypoxic conditions. Although the absolute number of clones was not statistically different, cell density was reduced under hypoxic culturing conditions, suggesting better control of cell proliferation.

Based on these results, we hypothesized that induction of hypoxia signaling may be important in maintaining hair follicle stem cell functionality. Hypoxia signaling is mediated by HIF1, the a subunit of which is degraded in an oxygen-dependent manner through prolyl-4-hydroxylase (P4H)-mediated hydroxylation. A potent P4H competitive inhibitor, Stemoxydine, was tested for its ability to induce hypoxia-like signaling. Transcriptomic studies show that treatment of hair follicles with Stemoxydine in normoxic conditions modifies the expression of a panel of genes in the same manner as culturing under hypoxic conditions. In addition, when ORS-derived hair follicle cells were grown in normoxic conditions with Stemoxydine, CFE and clone morphology were similar to those observed in hypoxic conditions.

These results suggest that hypoxia may be an important regulator of stem/progenitor cells function in the human hair follicle. We hypothesize that molecules that mimic hypoxic signaling, such as Stemoxydine, may figure as new approach to sustain hair growth and cycling.

I can't find any placebo controlled studies although I know L'Oreal supposedly did one and showed 4% increased density.

I am looking into getting some powder to play with but I want to make sure it's worth my time first.

Soluble in 100% ethanol (50mg/ml), DMSO (20mg/ml) or dimethyl formamide (30mg/ml); slightly soluble in PBS, 7.2 (1mg/ml)

Probably won't be able to get a high concentration without making a "lotion" which is what I understand is what Neogenic is. But should be able to get a few percent either way.

There is no point, you can get the cheapo version which is Fructis Kraft Zuwachs from amazon germany which is 5%. I used it for two years and stopped about six months ago and has n't made any difference. It's cheap enough however to use as a delivery mechanism if 96% alcohol is unavailable or expensive where you live.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesnt do wonders but does what it is supposed to do. Stemox stimulates both CD's through its simulated hypoxia in the upper skin and dermis. This effect also releases growth factors such as VEGF, KGF and a few others but those are not that important. Just a good tool to help covering that area.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesnt do wonders but does what it is supposed to do. Stemox stimulates both CD's through its simulated hypoxia in the upper skin and dermis. This effect also releases growth factors such as VEGF, KGF and a few others but those are not that important. Just a good tool to help covering that area.

Why not provide references?

UberBaldaten

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have used stemoxydine and I can say that I had barely any effect. I would've used the money and invested it in higher grade minoxidil or dermaroller.

These are my personal results and I have better results with anti androgens than I ever did with growth stimulants. So take it as an anecdote- grain of salt.

The science behind it is solid, but implementation is harder. I assume it could have better results with higher grade % and/or better absorbtion with dermarolling.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What keep you from using both. Use stemox in the morning and minoxidil in the evening. minoxidil stays anyways up for 22h. So you will barely have any difference. Just get the cheap german variant, 6 bottles for Eur 30. Pretty much same price as Kirkland. You probably gonna have more from that.

A certain private forum is working out a wiki, you going to have then the references, if you are not willing to use google cause they steal your personal information lmao.

Deznuts

My Regimen
Reaction score

Good IMO, Slightly behind Minoxidil but zero sides, I use it 2x a day. I am a diffuser thinner and it helped to thicken up my hair. GL

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed something about all of the so-called “5% stemoxydine” topicals. I looked up the ingredients for serioxyl, Vichy Neogenic, garnier fructis, keratase Densifique, cerafill, and a few others. They all vary in terms on ingredients. I was looking for the stemoxydine ingredient listed in all of them, which SHOULD be “ Diethyl pyridine-2,4-dicarboxylate”. The only common seen in all apart from things like alcohol and citric acid, is something called diethyllutidinate, which is not stemoxydine. So how come NONE of them have the actual chemical stemoxydine or even the patent name mentioned in the ingredients? Fucks me. But it probably means they’re all just a scam.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed something about all of the so-called “5% stemoxydine” topicals. I looked up the ingredients for serioxyl, Vichy Neogenic, garnier fructis, keratase Densifique, cerafill, and a few others. They all vary in terms on ingredients. I was looking for the stemoxydine ingredient listed in all of them, which SHOULD be “ Diethyl pyridine-2,4-dicarboxylate”. The only common seen in all apart from things like alcohol and citric acid, is something called diethyllutidinate, which is not stemoxydine. So how come NONE of them have the actual chemical stemoxydine or even the patent name mentioned in the ingredients? Fucks me. But it probably means they’re all just a scam.

Why does that matter, all of them have 5% stemox, thats it. Not sure why you bother with the chemical name, ofc there is another one for marketing reason.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why does that matter, all of them have 5% stemox, thats it. Not sure why you bother with the chemical name, ofc there is another one for marketing reason.
I just find it odd that, considering it is supposed the be the main and active ingredient in all of these products, it’s not mentioned at all In the ingredients list.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just find it odd that, considering it is supposed the be the main and active ingredient in all of these products, it’s not mentioned at all In the ingredients list.

Well, diethyllutidinate is what you are looking for.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not a scam. Just not that potent. The molecule is improvable and they could up the dose.

Just laziness cause big name and marketing sells it anyways.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no point, you can get the cheapo version which is Fructis Kraft Zuwachs from amazon germany which is 5%. I used it for two years and stopped about six months ago and has n't made any difference. It's cheap enough however to use as a delivery mechanism if 96% alcohol is unavailable or expensive where you live.

Right, but it was a decent hair styling agent (improved appearance of thickness) and made your hair smell all fruity and sh*t. So I guess there's that, LOL

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
a huge scam indeed ; you can see in the french store that they have rebranded all their old stemox to re sell it in various brand .

Almsoo7

My Regimen
Reaction score
It works but limited effectiveness if you compare it against the mainstream treatments. I bought the Neogenic version in July 2017 and followed through the 3-month application with some other herbal ginseng based topical which I had been applying prior to starting stemoxydine. I did not take close up pictures of the before and after but I noticed growth of vellus hair at the end of the 3-month regime (~October 2017) around the temple regions. I then stopped the treatment and the herbal application, and switched to Minoxidil 5% before restarting stemoxydine in November 2017. I can say that the vellus hair was a result of the stemoxydine because right after I stopped and probably due to the effects of Minoxidil, the vellus hair shedded but is now replaced with slightly thicker and darker hair. My regime now is Minoxidil twice a day, stemoxydine at night 1-2 hours before Minoxidil, and 1.5mm derma stamp at the temple areas once a week. I am not sure if I am an early Norwood 2 because my frontal hairline is receding as a whole instead of the usual M shape. But my main point is that stemoxydine works and there is no harm combining it with the mainstream treatments because they target different biomolecular pathways and help complement each other to promote hair growth. Btw, I might be starting on castor oil application as well.