Stay Away From Concealers!

Balding Scotsman

Reaction score
Stay away from them, makes you become very dependant and can start to rule your life. Trust me.

Just move on, don't hide away.

BaldingInGermany

Established Member
Reaction score
I love concealers. They're making me happy :) And I don't think I am more dependent from them then I am from my toothbrush and paste or an antiperspirant. To me it's is just a cosmetic product I use (more or less) on a daily basis so I feel comfortable and ready for the day.

s.a.f

Reaction score
They certainly have their drawbacks but overall they can do miracles for your appearance.

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My entire life has changed with Couvre last 13 years....I have 85% loss on my scalp and can get a fake appearance of minimal to no perceived loss. I have even fooled my hair transplant doctor!! The stuff works miracles!

johngreek

Reaction score
balding scotchman i think i can see your point ( although you do not elaborate )

i use hair so real / toppik and dermatch

concealers do miracles ! i get perfect coverage . YOu can not get perfect volume , but that's understandable

but...

1. swimming is an issue ( especially if you live in Greece )
2. Cost is an issue ( if you use on a daily basis )
3. dirty sink and bathroom floors is an issue (ESPECIALLY if you are a Houseguest or have houseguests )
4. flirting and socializing is an issue .... Whenever i get close with a girl i like and can;t stop fearing what her reaction would be if...
and that's not just a phobia .It is based on experience...
and it is not just girls ...only my family and a couple of friends know i use them...i always fear of what will happen if someone in my wider social circle finds out about it
5. The before / after difference is an issue ... I always have this fear that someone will see me without my concealer on , so the first thing i do every morning is apply my combo

Psychologically i am totally dependent on my concealers ....most of the time i thank God and science for them ... but there are times that i trully wish i had never heard about them

Balding Scotsman

Reaction score
Bang on Johngreek. Its just not worth the hassle.

Exactly those reasons is why people should avoid, better accepting hairloss than hide it away, its hard but its the way forward.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Balding Scotsman said:
Bang on Johngreek. Its just not worth the hassle.

Exactly those reasons is why people should avoid, better accepting hairloss than hide it away, its hard but its the way forward.

Yes, but most people who use concealers would live life in the shadows without them. The concealers allow them to live a somewhat normal life.

s.a.f

Reaction score
The same could be said about hair transplant's or even meds.

Balding Scotsman

Reaction score
I'm not bashing anyone for using them. I used them myself.

But is it worth all the worrying? Are you going to stay in when its stormy? If anyone touches your head will you be calm?

The number one disadvantage of concealers is - hiding away.

This topic was for people considering them, just a warning that it will make you a different person, yeah you'll feel a wee bit better hiding baldness but at the same time anything can go wrong.

s.a.f

Reaction score
A bit like hairpieces then, but probably not as embarrasing if you get found out.

bigmac

Reaction score
I love concealers as they give me a great deal of confidence and i use them every day.I personally dont want people to see me as a balding guy.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
if you use meds and can maintain your hair quite well and at the same time use concealers they are a GREAT way to help beat hairloss and the emotional drain it brings.So many people use so many things to better their appearance ,be it make up or clothes or concealers.

I do see your point though that they can bring their own issues such as the worrying if someone sees you without it but then a lot of people worry about a lot of things!

i say use them if they look good but always keep a check on how your hair REALLY looks so you can add to/change your regimen.

amthello

Reaction score
Well to all those who are reading and considering to use a concealer..

Balding Scotsman is partly right when saying that you may become very dependent on them. I use Nanogen nanofibres (similar to Toppik).. my hair looks great with it. It can boost your confidence. But after showering it can be quite depressing..

I was very skeptic... as in a male using this a cosmetic product (why should he??) but it's not different as with millions of females dying their hairs or using everyday tons of make-up.. But always keep in mind that these concealers are covering the problem not solving it. You need to get other treatments like finasteride or minoxidil.

I also agree with the feeling of being spotted. One of the worst things with it is when I am with a girl and she goes through my hair with her hands... that can be quite unpleasant!! till now I was lucky they did not notice anything! If you apply minimal amounts it will stick perfectly.

So I wont say dont use concealers.. I would go for them but try not to over use them!

Failing Follicles

Reaction score
I heard that. I wish I'd never started on concealers. Yeah OK they bought me about three years of "confidence" but I was just in denial, if ever I was in a crowd, on a bus or train I would bristle waiting for someone to notice. Then when my hair got too thin I got a wig and the nightmare worsened... it was five years from first starting on Toppik before I finally accepted I was bald and shaved what was left off and I wish I'd never started on them, they completely took over, I was always terrified I'd get caught in the rain or if some girl tried to ruffle my hair. Once in the middle of sex a girl asked "why don't you let me touch your hair"... killed the moment somewhat.

I hope I've not annoyed anyone, it's just my opinion. Peace :punk:

IBM

Reaction score
Hey rain messes any balding men's hair, not only those topik users.

johngreek

Reaction score
ibm , a full head of hair looks less good when rain wet

a head with toppik looks ridiculous when rain wet

and that's a major difference

johnrts

Reaction score
Why subject yourself to torture, because thats what it really is,

why not free your mind from thinking "Is this person staring at my hair because he/she thinks theirs something fishy about my hair,

or when it rains and you have no cover because your with a friends, what are you going to do, run under the nearest roof like a crazy man so the concealer doesnt drip down your forehead,

or when your making love to a girl or making out with her and she decides to touch your hair, what are you gonna do jump and tell her not to touch your hair.

or how about when your at the beach and everyone wants to go in the ocean, you cant go in because your concealer

I had really bad paranoia when using these concealers, SO MANY F'N CONS, its just not worth it...

Plus, do you really think you can fool EVERYONE with that stuff in your hair?.........

If you absolutely have to use it for right now, by all means do if its going to keep your sanity, but try to get off it if you can

endofrant

Matt27

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm only going to use them for immediately after my hair transplant to help cover up the redness and thicken up the areas in and around the recipient area. IMO concealers are ideal for that type of a situation, where you just need something for a few months.

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I love concealers and I dunno what i'd do without them. I only use them on a night out and it gives me so much confidence you would not believe. I would rather hide my hairloss than be a balding guy. Noone can tell that I am wearing concealer so I am more than happy to keep on using them.