Starting Propeica...

jl9283

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've noticed thinning in the crown area for a while and I'm starting propecia as of today, was interested to know if I should also add Rogaine foam on top of it? or should I wait?

Thanks

abcdefg

Reaction score
I would use only propecia and use rogain a few years later in case propecia is not enough or just extra. I guess if you can afford it you could always use that too it will only help.

jl9283

Reaction score
Should I wait for a month or two before starting?
Based from my reading, it seems people have better chance of regrowth with using Rogaine than just taking porperica....

bald30

Reaction score
Well I would at least 6 months before You start taking rogaine because that way you know if Propecia works but If you can afford financially then take both desame time and that is correct you have a better change of regrowth.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bald30 said:
Well I would at least 6 months before You start taking rogaine because that way you know if Propecia works but If you can afford financially then take both desame time and that is correct you have a better change of regrowth.
yea i would wait 6 months to, if its only the crown, propecia can do wonders there.

GL

jl9283

Reaction score
Thank you all for the inputs. I'm just a bit paranoid wanting to expedite the process....

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
rogaine, minoxidil are highly over-rated... Remember before you start that you must apply the rogaine forever to maintain any growth you might see. IMO I didn't see any growth, but my hair thinned slower for a period of about 6 months. However, once I stopped I shed like my cat for almost 4 months. Worst 4 months of my life.

Give the propecia some time.

jl9283

Reaction score
#3&4 (around) is what I would fit in, but that's in the worst case... I'm just starting to thin..That's crown correct?

norwood.gif

jl9283

Reaction score
I think I understand the picture better. It's the progress...

Then I would say I'm around 3V & 4

rick055

Reaction score
Matgallis said:
rogaine, minoxidil are highly over-rated... Remember before you start that you must apply the rogaine forever to maintain any growth you might see. IMO I didn't see any growth, but my hair thinned slower for a period of about 6 months. However, once I stopped I shed like my cat for almost 4 months. Worst 4 months of my life.

Give the propecia some time.

Still, rogaine can be highly effective for some. I am currently using the 5% foam and have seen good results in the crown and even pretty darn good results in the temples (which I never had with the solution).

You can never disontinue propecia, either.

I do think you should start propecia first, give it about six - eight months and then make an evaluation as to Rogaine. If you start both at the same time, and you grow hair, you won't know which worked and may be paying for an unnecessary medication.

If you start the propecia and it does nothing in 6 - 8 months (and by nothing I mean you are still losing hair; merely maintaining hair count with propecia is significant progress, IMO), you can chose to discontinue it then.

If it works, you can then add minoxidil and judge whether you get any added benefit from it.

Good luck.

jl9283

Reaction score
I just hope it's not too late. I still have 70% hair in the crown, just thinning slowly in the past months but not to a point it's all gone.

If under bright sun or light, obviously you can see my skin...

rick055

Reaction score
jl9283 said:
I just hope it's not too late. I still have 70% hair in the crown, just thinning slowly in the past months but not to a point it's all gone.

If under bright sun or light, obviously you can see my skin...

With 70% hair in the crown I would definitely say it's not too late. Take a look at some of the before and afters on the medication.

As an aside, I don't know if you'd be "cool" with it or not, but a product like Toppik can help tremendously, especially if you have 70% of your hair left and you need coverage in the crown.

I use it and it's truly unreal. I would bet that with 70% you'd look like you never lost a hair after a two minute application. You can always consider some hair thickening shampoo, Aussie worked pretty well.

jl9283

Reaction score
70% is roughly estimate.

I suppose I will wait it out on Propecia and see how the results are.... *cross fingers*

In the meantime, I'll get some volumize shampoo. Anyone tried Modern Organic Product? MOP's Lemongrass shampoo...

Kojak85

Reaction score
Hey!

Well after reading that your about a NW3, then i would start rogain and propecia and nizoral, the killer combo ;)

I was just using propecia until last month, when i also added rogain. First i thought i could keep it all with propecia, but after 1,5 years i was still not happy, it was still a bit thin at the top, so i added rogaine.

many people are very negative when it comes to treatments etc. but from my own experience i can tell you that it's been alot of help. Applying the rogain isnt even that bad, its just like brushing your teeth, so i think of it in this way" if I just had to brush my teeth 2 more times a day too keep my hair, would i do it?" hell yeah!

but you know best, if your really serious about restoring your hairloss, and you have alot of self disiplin go for the combo.

good luck!

jl9283

Reaction score
I've asked my determotologist about Nizoral, he said any shampoo won't ake any differences. How is Nizoral benficial to hair growth?

rick055

Reaction score
jl9283 said:
I've asked my determotologist about Nizoral, he said any shampoo won't ake any differences. How is Nizoral benficial to hair growth?

It always makes me laugh when a doctor will make a definitive statement for which they have no basis to make.

After all, doctors are trained to think scientifically, right?

To speak to the question (and I will dig up the link) Nizoral 2% has been shown to have approximately the same efficacy as minoxidil for treating hairloss.

here's a good place to start to see how it works:

http://www.regrowth.com/nizoral.cfm

jl9283

Reaction score
have you used Nizoral and find it beneficial?
The problem with internet is that anyone can write something claiming it works, but has it clinically proven? (just wondering)

Jason76

Reaction score
Products like for hair loss are always determined as the best on the market when they are most likely not. People who sell these products are not going to say it doesn't work when they are trying to get rich off it, thats obvious.

Propecia is widely recognised by doctors but for what reason I don't know as side effects for this type of treatment are more numerous than that of other products. Some side effects include:

Erectile dysfunction, impotence, low libido and gynecomestica and these syptoms don't stop when the treatment stops, they are with you for life. However, Propecia has proven effective for some people.

Nizoral however is not specifically made for hair loss, it is an anti dandruff treatment, but it has been proven to stimulate the hair follicles and produce minor hair growth.

A good product which I would recommend if you are in to natural products is nourkrin, It has a really effective combination of tablets and shampoos aswell as many others. Its endorsed by celebs including Lee Sharpe who uses it also. Here is a review on it:

http://www.best-hair-loss-product-revie ... rkrin.html