Starting Finasteride For Hair Loss In 2018

PhantomRiding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello there, so before I get into the crux of the matter of where I am with being a young person using finasteride you must understand my background first.

My hair loss "started" when I was 14. That sounds insane but that was the true first sign of it all. My hair texture started to change but I never thought anything of it until 2 years later when I cut my hair short & realized the top of my head was thinner then then everywhere else. I spent that entire summer researching hair loss & evaluating my risk for it. Essentially I am a big candidate because my father was completely bald as were all of his brothers & his father. My mothers father actually had pretty decent hair so it was kind of a crapshoot. Spoilers.. I lost.. kind of. I've always been a proactive person, wanting to take things into my own hands & not going down without a fight. At the time I acted I was 17 about to go into senior year of HS. I started with Saw Palmetto & used that for around 2 years until my freshman year of college. Reason being is becuase it is much harder to get finasteride than it is to go to a store & buy a $5 bottle of SP. So I used that for a while & whatever you believe about the effectiveness of SP is fine. Honestly I maintained what I had that whole time but the question that I will never know is where I would have been without it. I ended up dropping out of college to pursue something I love more. At this time I was 19 going in 20 in 1 month & I finally got around to going to a derm & getting finasteride. Since I said earlier I spent a lot of time on these forums, I've seen the good bad & the ugly when I comes to the internets thoughts on finasteride. But I've decided to take the plunge see how the drug affects me. At the time of me writing this I've been on it for a month. Side effects:

•watery semen (I think) but It didn't bother me & stopped after 3-4 days

No mental sides, no sexual sides other than listed above & slight ball ache which basically happens to everyone from time to time.

Point being is I'm perfectly fine. Please don't let people discourage you from trying. I know the side effects are real but they are severely blown out of proportion.

What really concerns me is some people are to afraid to even try something like Saw palmetto. I've read stories where people say it gave them impotence after 3 days or some sh*t. There a whole debate about wether saw palmetto even inhibits the 5-AR type 2 that's prominent in hair loss. I say personally SP will help buy time when you are in the beginning stages of hair loss but you should use that time to work up to finasteride. I was on high doses of SP for 2/12 years & not once did it affect me sexually in a negative way. When I was at my peak dosage per day I could still have sex with my (ex)-girlfriend multiple times a day. With finasteride I feel the same. So all of you stuck of the fence about starting finasteride, you can count me as one more young person doing just fine so far on it:)

I know you guys want to see pictures of my hair, I'm going to update this thread as the year goes on with pics, I'm only a month in so far & there's nothing really much to see yet in terms of regrowth. Also, I'm using finasteride primarily to maintain as I still have (most) of my hair. I don't have it as bad as some others out there & if your younger than me with a worse head of hair than me my heart truly goes out to you. & one more side note, I'm thinking it may take me 2 years to see the full effect of the big 3 because I have pretty long hair & usually wear it in a bun or wear it down & with a hat or something. My biggest trouble area is my left temple hairline area where it has thinned more than the middle or right side. If finasteride can rethicken that section a bit & just keep what I still have I'll be beyond happy. So I'm not gonna bother with pics until at least the 3 month mark & we will go from there. Feel free to ask me any questions about anything stated here :)

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should have uploaded baseline pics to compared to your newer ones. Early hair loss sucks, I started balding at 14 too. Been on finasteride on and off for over a year ( longest stretch was a year ) and didn't help me at all, still balding unfortunately. If saw palmetto helped you maintain then its likely finasteride will do that too. Lucky guy.

PhantomRiding

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should have uploaded baseline pics to compared to your newer ones. Early hair loss sucks, I started balding at 14 too. Been on finasteride on and off for over a year ( longest stretch was a year ) and didn't help me at all, still balding unfortunately. If saw palmetto helped you maintain then its likely finasteride will do that too. Lucky guy.
Sorry to hear that man, I really am:( I wish finasteride worked for EVERYBODY. My heart goes out to you bro. I have some pics that are pretty much baseline that are 1 month on finasteride. In a few months when I have something to compare them too I'm going to upload all of them. As an update for anyone else who's curious too, still no sides on my end & I'm even seeing some small hairs pop up around my hairline which I can only hope mature at some point. I really think consistency is the most important component to it all. Fingers crossed they fill in by the year mark or so. & don't lose all hope man. Maybe try finasteride consistently again if you can tolerate it. Best of luck to you

Endmymisery

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro, how can you say finasteride wasn't helping at all when you, yourself said you were shedding more after quitting finasteride, surely finasteride was helping to an extent?

g.i joey

Reaction score
Bro, how can you say finasteride wasn't helping at all when you, yourself said you were shedding more after quitting finasteride, surely finasteride was helping to an extent?

I had the same experience as Andy, took finasteride for 14 months, saw not much improvement and maybe MINOR worsening, which is questionable. I attempted a 2 month break and at 1.5 month it was noticeable that my density had shot the f*** down. Back on for 2 months now and I’m losing alotnless hair

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Touché. Maybe it was helping to slow down my balding I don't know, but it definitely got worse faster when I dropped it. Hopefully things slow down again.
I had the same experience as Andy, took finasteride for 14 months, saw not much improvement and maybe MINOR worsening, which is questionable. I attempted a 2 month break and at 1.5 month it was noticeable that my density had shot the f*** down. Back on for 2 months now and I’m losing alotnless hair
Dang, I never knew that. Hoping things turn around for you Joey! I regret dropping finasteride, not ever going to again. Too risky. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited:

PhantomRiding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick 3 month update: I'm back for a quick check in lads, 3 months on the big 3 & sh*t is going really well! No sides to speak of at all, in fact sex drive might be slightly higher I feel. When it comes to my hair the only problem I was having so far was my temples & they're starting to fill in! 3 months ago you could clearly see a thinner spot but now my entire hairline looks natural. Don't get it twisted it still not "perfect" but I'm only 3 months in & if this is any indicator of success later on then the future is looking bright. I'll be back in a few months for another update & full pic timeline at 1 year! Hope you guys are doing well

ifeelnopain01

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone actually have any results with finasteride? I was on it for 12 months 1mg pill I think, with nothing but sheds of hair everyday. It never stopped and it made my hair way worse than it was when I first started. I tried minoxidil also for a year and I had very little to no improvement. I'm 32, 6", 186lbs and my hair lost started around my late 28-29 but didn't get as bad as it did until I started taking finasteride. I have 100's of little tiny hairs all over the top of my head but they been that way since about 6-7 months ago and never grew any longer.

I eat very healthy, no high fats or fake sugars.
Lot's of vegetables and fruit. Fish, chicken and turkey mostly. Complex carbs.
I work out 5 days a week 1.5 hours a day. Lift weights and cardio. Stretch and try to have less stress in my life everyday. I get at least 15 minutes of sunlight everyday.

I have no idea why finasteride didn't work. I guess it doesn't work for some people? I haven't decided on a hair transplant or just letting it go and eventually shave it. I have a lot of hair on my sides of the head, very thick and healthy. The top of my head is very thin and can easily see my skin on the top if my head in the sunlight or if you look closely. I quit finasteride about a month ago and my hair has significantly stop shedding. I quit minoxidil about a year ago. I can post pictures if anyone is interested. Thanks guy!

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone actually have any results with finasteride? I was on it for 12 months 1mg pill I think, with nothing but sheds of hair everyday. It never stopped and it made my hair way worse than it was when I first started. I tried minoxidil also for a year and I had very little to no improvement. I'm 32, 6", 186lbs and my hair lost started around my late 28-29 but didn't get as bad as it did until I started taking finasteride. I have 100's of little tiny hairs all over the top of my head but they been that way since about 6-7 months ago and never grew any longer.

I eat very healthy, no high fats or fake sugars.
Lot's of vegetables and fruit. Fish, chicken and turkey mostly. Complex carbs.
I work out 5 days a week 1.5 hours a day. Lift weights and cardio. Stretch and try to have less stress in my life everyday. I get at least 15 minutes of sunlight everyday.

I have no idea why finasteride didn't work. I guess it doesn't work for some people? I haven't decided on a hair transplant or just letting it go and eventually shave it. I have a lot of hair on my sides of the head, very thick and healthy. The top of my head is very thin and can easily see my skin on the top if my head in the sunlight or if you look closely. I quit finasteride about a month ago and my hair has significantly stop shedding. I quit minoxidil about a year ago. I can post pictures if anyone is interested. Thanks guy!

Please post your own thread with pictures.

PhantomRiding

My Regimen
Reaction score
So it’s been 6 months since I started finasteride & I just compared pics to baseline & my god... the improvement has been unreal already. I’m not gonna post pics just yet I’m gonna wait until the 1 year mark but trust when I say gains are being made! Feelsgoodman. Also for those wondering, no side effects to report either. See you lads in 6 months for pics!

PhantomRiding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay it’s been one year! As promised I’m here for a picture update! I’ll answer any & all questions :). Pics are in

1 Baseline

2 6 month

3 1 year

:)

Attachments

• 5B0720C0-B046-49B6-9A46-0BE96CD2BD1B.jpeg
    5B0720C0-B046-49B6-9A46-0BE96CD2BD1B.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 324
  • 51AAC9C4-7C82-446E-8803-6D41C2BCDC2D.jpeg
    51AAC9C4-7C82-446E-8803-6D41C2BCDC2D.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 55BFD5F3-12CE-4B15-BB79-D1BBFB461E27.jpeg