Starting Dutasteride Again In Preparation For hair transplant. Need Advice

Norwood Recovery

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m 29 and have been losing hair since I was around 18 years old. I started a minoxidil and dutasteride regimen at around 20 and used it on and off for a couple of years.

I haven’t done anything about my hair loss in 7 years as it was slowly progressing and didn’t notice how much worse it was getting as I always kept a military style “high and tight” cut. I was shocked when I noticed my crown had gotten so much thinner at the barber shop 3 weeks ago.

Since then I’ve started using Nizoral once per week and started taking 10,000 mcg biotin. Ive got a 90 day supply of dutasteride coming in along with jojoba oil and peppermint oil to try and use as a growth stimulant. I’m wary of using minoxidil as I’ve heard about it interrupting collagen synthesis and causing bad skin aging.

I’m looking into having a hair transplant done but unsure of who I want to go to. What kind of results could I expect to see? Should I wait for any response to the dutasteride before sending consultation photos to clinics? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• A841E02F-11EB-4CE8-BA21-8080A54ABEA4.jpeg
    A841E02F-11EB-4CE8-BA21-8080A54ABEA4.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 332
  • DE2CFD24-5C0E-4BD7-AE85-5F2FB13F3DF2.jpeg
    DE2CFD24-5C0E-4BD7-AE85-5F2FB13F3DF2.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 5F851486-A3F0-40E0-9033-93B40B6E1FC6.jpeg
    5F851486-A3F0-40E0-9033-93B40B6E1FC6.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 3398FFB9-6E16-48B0-AD7C-95FFBEF64D8E.jpeg
    3398FFB9-6E16-48B0-AD7C-95FFBEF64D8E.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 264

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Forget all those extras and just use dutasteride and minoxidil. For the front you'll need about 2500 grafts if it's restricted to the frontal 1/3 but ideally 3k for the frontal half. You're unlikely to make significant cosmetic gains for the front since it's dead, so you'll need surgery there.

I would just take dutasteride and have surgery for the front a year down the line if you've stabilised your hair. If the crown doesn't heal on dutasteride add in further surgery or minoxidil. Take it step by step imo.

It's good you're getting back into treating it as you're at the point of no return. You can still get a good head of hair though if you turn this around.

Norwood Recovery

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes bro ; wait at least 6 month on duta + minoxidil before doing any tranplant !
maybe you will get great result ! keep us updated

For sure, I’ll keep this thread updated throughout the process. I appreciate the advice and support

Forget all those extras and just use dutasteride and minoxidil. For the front you'll need about 2500 grafts if it's restricted to the frontal 1/3 but ideally 3k for the frontal half. You're unlikely to make significant cosmetic gains for the front since it's dead, so you'll need surgery there.

I would just take dutasteride and have surgery for the front a year down the line if you've stabilised your hair. If the crown doesn't heal on dutasteride add in further surgery or minoxidil. Take it step by step imo.

It's good you're getting back into treating it as you're at the point of no return. You can still get a good head of hair though if you turn this around.

Yeah I feel like I’m getting back on the train just before take off, it’s been such a slow balding process that it can really sneak up on you. I will order 5% minoxidil and monitor any skin side effects.

I don’t recall getting any sides from duta and minoxidil when I first tried it so here’s to hoping I’ll be a good responder without the sides.

What’s your thoughts on derma-rolling and you think I should toss the nizoral?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
You may as well hop on Nizoral but I've cycled on/off that and seen little difference. Except that my hair feels slightly healthier on Nizoral. I don't have dandruff or oily skin at all but if you do, it may help more. As for derma roller, I do this once a week but I have a lot of hair. Just doing it to prevent fibrosis. In your case, it is unlikely to make a difference if it's noticeable regrowth you seek, this is rare. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

However, a miracle can happen. Check user somebody's thread which is in the tell your story section, he had magical regrowth with derma roller. You'll have to hunt the link down. I don't use minoxidil as I don't need it and possible skin sides.

My regimen is simply finasteride 1.25 mg per day and derma roller/nizoral whenever I can be bothered (few times a week but minimum once).

Good luck. Your genetics are not too bad hair wise when you consider the situation of some members of the forum. It's a relatively slower pattern but it's picking up now and you will be very bald by 35 I reckon unless you take action. At the moment you have moderate, closing in on severe balding.