started "Strating Strength" feeling like a man

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ive got my technique to a good level so i started the prorgram 2 days ago and im loving squatting is so much fun although i have doms on my legs now.
very reconmended

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
delayed onset muscle soreness
going down the stares is a funny thing :freak: and i read its supossed to get worst tomorrow

ShedMaster

Reaction score
squats are a form of torture. Even when I was heavy into lifting I couldnt force myself to do them. Not that the exercise itself is hard, but the days after, as you mentioned, are brutal!

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
roki said:
ive got my technique to a good level so i started the prorgram 2 days ago and im loving squatting is so much fun although i have doms on my legs now.
very reconmended

Glad that you are liking that program. Eventually your legs will get used to squatting and won't get as sore...Or won't get sore at all.

What squatting weight did you start out at?

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i put 12.5 kg at each side and i think the bar is 20 kg so it comes to a 100 pounds ,i can leg press 120 kg but im starting low on the squts because of my recent lower back injury
how much should i add every workout?

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
squats are a form of torture. Even when I was heavy into lifting I couldnt force myself to do them. Not that the exercise itself is hard, but the days after, as you mentioned, are brutal!
the doms arent too bad at the moment cus i started lightly but ive allready had thouse brutal days from leg press and i like it :freaked2:

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Harie what do you reconmend as a good wormup routine ?
do you think 5 minuts of running at 8 kph is ok?
kethnabb says not to do any long streches before
and how should the wormup with lower wheigt look like?

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
roki said:
Harie what do you reconmend as a good wormup routine ?
do you think 5 minuts of running at 8 kph is ok?
kethnabb says not to do any long streches before
and how should the wormup with lower wheigt look like?

When I warm up, I usually do a fast walk for 5 minutes at around 4mph. Then I do the following:

no bar squats 1x10
bar squats 2x10
The rest of the warm up depends on how much weight you're going to squat. I usually try to end the warm up with doing 1x1 at the weight I'm going to be squatting to get me used to it.

For 100lbs, you could easily just jump from the 2x10 bar squats to 1x1 at 100lbs.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
roki said:
how much should i add every workout?

I liked adding 5lbs each workout. It took me 6 weeks to break my old best 5 rep max, but I'd rather wait longer than jump the weights super fast and fail quickly.

If you feel that after a few workouts that you're not adding weight quick enough, you can jump more if you want. Some people can jump 10lbs each workout for the first few weeks, then they taper off to 5lb jumps, or 2.5lb jumps when things start to get harder.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
im not satified
i cant add weight,today i did sqauts with 50 kg and got 5,5,4
i also got 5,5,4 with the militarry press with 35 kg my technique seemd to give in as well and i only added 2.5 kg from last time on both exersizes
also im stuck with benching 52.5 kg and i didnt manage to increase for 2 workouts and i doubt ill be able to do it next time im eating like a pig,
the only problem i can think of is that i sleep only 6-7 hours a night(usually 6)

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Getting 5,5,4 is ok. That still counts. You can either repeat, or add more weight and do it again.

Does your gym have micro plates? There are many people that can't jump 2.5kg every workout. If your gym doesn't have micro plates, you can buy them. They make 0.50lb, 1.00lb, 1.25lb micro plates...So you can adjust the weight by as little as 1lb per workout.

You probably need to start out really, really low weight. You shouldn't be setting personal records till week 4. If you've already stalled on bench in week 2 (I think that's the week you're on), you started out with way too much weight.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
so i guess i should go buy micro plates
as for the bench i started with 50 kg and i was able to do it well without failing in my technique (i think) then i added 2.5 kg and i still was ok ,then i tried adding another 2.5and that was too much now im back at 52.5 and i cant seem to go up should i try reducing it?

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
roki said:
so i guess i should go buy micro plates
as for the bench i started with 50 kg and i was able to do it well without failing in my technique (i think) then i added 2.5 kg and i still was ok ,then i tried adding another 2.5and that was too much now im back at 52.5 and i cant seem to go up should i try reducing it?

Totally reset your bench. Start out even lower than you did. Plan it out so you'll be setting PR's on week 4. If 55kg is your best bench, start out at 40kg. Adding 2.5kg each time should take you 4 weeks to hit 55kg again.

Micro plates are great...They allow you to keep going when most people can't add 5lbs, they reset...Where you can keep on going since you can add a lb here and there.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
OH
i didnt get that ,i though i was supposed to start almost as high as i can
but whats the point? wont the workout be to easy for the first 4 weeks?
i guess i should reduce my rows and my militarry press as well

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
roki said:
OH
i didnt get that ,i though i was supposed to start almost as high as i can
but whats the point? wont the workout be to easy for the first 4 weeks?
i guess i should reduce my rows and my militarry press as well

You need to build up to setting new personal best lifts. If you start out too quickly, your muscles aren't used to lifting heavy, and you'll be sore a lot...And your muscles won't be able to recover quick enough.

Yes, your workouts will be easy the first week or 2, but it's making your muscles do work, which is making them stronger for when you try to lift heavier.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thanks Harie ill try to start again and this time do it right
ill get micro plates too

Zeal

Reaction score
A good cheap way of getting washers to use as microweights is to go to mcmaster.com and get an order of item #90108A046. The 2" washers, the size needed to fit on a barbell, come in a set of 8. Each washer is about .625 pounds. You can go up almost any denomination you want this way. Much cheaper than buying actual microweights also.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thanks zeal if they ship worldwide ill get it there ,i went looking in some shops here and i didnt find any
i was very happy with the last workout i wrnt up on the squat only 5 pounds but it was really easy to my surprise ,i also went up 15 pounds on the deadlift and it was easy
one thing i dont get is why should i start again with benching less then my maximum it makes no sense if i can bench more and keep a good technique wont it make me go up faster ,logic says it will

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
roki said:
one thing i dont get is why should i start again with benching less then my maximum it makes no sense if i can bench more and keep a good technique wont it make me go up faster ,logic says it will

You said you couldn't lift the amt you were benching for 2 workouts in a row...Which means you stalled and should reset. Since it's so soon, you started out with too much weight. You use the 4 week loading period to build up your muscle endurance and strength.

Just because lifting 3x5 @ say 80lbs doesn't make you strain to get it, doesn't mean it's not building both endurance and strength. Your muscles aren't used to lifting at all and have no endurance...And a long recovery time your first few weeks.