Started Propecia/spironolactone Regime 6 Months Ago, Have Bald Patches

Julialosingthefight

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am extremely distressed, In may went to a derm for my hair - she said hair wasn't her thing but said we could try spironolactone and Propecia and I said ok. Was thin all over with genetic alopecia diffuse thinning never had alopecia areata in my life.

In November - just at six month phase - I noticed two huge bald patches - on above each ear - seems like 30 per cent of my hair is gone and will it come back??? Looks like alopecia areata to me, but I've never had that and what a f7500g coincidence to get alopecia areata exactly six months after starting two hair loss drugs?

I am going to an emergency appointment with my derm on Monday and honestly, I feel like punching her - what has she done to me? Should I go off at least the propeica? I've been on spironolactone in the past with no such side effects. If my hair loss gets any worse I am going to become severely depressed.

can anyone out there give me some advice?

Last edited:

Gratefulhead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard to comment without pictures but what you describe sounds like areata. I would go to a dermatologist who specializes is AA. The good news is that typically can be treated with success. You may want to ask for corticosteroid injections. It will take a few months of injections but there’s a good chance you’ll get that hair to grow back. How is the rest of your hair since you started treatment?

Gratefulhead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also I was under the impression that propecia only worked for men. Seems like an odd prescription. I’ve had AA and I’m convinced that stress is a major trigger. Get proper treatment and you’ll likely see good results and that will lower your stress but be patient!

Julialosingthefight

My Regimen
Reaction score
The derm said they are prescribing it to women with success and I thought the two pills together- spironolactone and propecia - would work great

I think the top and front of my head has new hair and the back might be fuller but the sides are bald and they were not bald two months ago

CEA7A531-A875-4042-82D7-0617962BCB7A.jpeg
BE838140-7AE4-4D7B-84FA-08BC78A0C11F.jpeg

Gratefulhead

My Regimen
Reaction score
That looks like AA for sure. Obviously not ideal but AA is rarely permanent. Ive always had success with corticosteroid injections. Good luck!

Julialosingthefight

My Regimen
Reaction score
As another cautionary tale for those who read these posts I would like to say that if you walk into a dermatologist office and they immediately tell you that hair is not their “thing “ then you should march right out of there and get a referral to someone who specializes in treating hair loss because if I had done that this may not ever have happened to me

Julialosingthefight

My Regimen
Reaction score
The other thing I would like to put out there for anyone on these forms to please respond to is to let me know how you went off Propecia if you did and what methods you feel would work best to deal with any negative affects of going off at after about seven months thank you

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've only read of one other person developing Areta using DHT inhibitors, I believe it was @Quantum Cat ? But he was using dutasteride.